WindTraders is all out of Banshees in The Rookery (NO JOKE)

Phineas

I still giggle when I see this thread at the thought of those who insisted Pandora wouldn't sell any substantial amounts of merchandise :D
The thing is, I understood where they were coming from. I was working at [Iconic American Toy Store] when Avatar came out, and the toy line just was not moving. This was true of our sister stores in the state as well, and the entire line was deeply discounted.

I used to joke about the problem with Avatar: "Name two characters from the movie. 'Sigourney Weaver' is not a character's name." The visuals were spectacular, and the environment was gorgeous, but kids were not flocking into our stores to buy their favorite blue person.

The real difference here is the "Exit Through the Gift Shop" function at work. I'm sure if my company set up merchandise kiosks outside movie theaters selling the toy line, we'd have sold out regularly.

mergatroid

The thing is, I understood where they were coming from. I was working at [Iconic American Toy Store] when Avatar came out, and the toy line just was not moving. This was true of our sister stores in the state as well, and the entire line was deeply discounted.

I used to joke about the problem with Avatar: "Name two characters from the movie. 'Sigourney Weaver' is not a character's name." The visuals were spectacular, and the environment was gorgeous, but kids were not flocking into our stores to buy their favorite blue person.

The real difference here is the "Exit Through the Gift Shop" function at work. I'm sure if my company set up merchandise kiosks outside movie theaters selling the toy line, we'd have sold out regularly.

That's fair enough and I've never bought Avatar merchandise myself, nor would I. I think the majority of those insisting it would never sell seemed to be those who also insisted that 'Avatar Land' would be terrible from day one, it's all about opinions though so they had every right to say that.

twebber55

That's fair enough and I've never bought Avatar merchandise myself, nor would I. I think the majority of those insisting it would never sell seemed to be those who also insisted that 'Avatar Land' would be terrible from day one, it's all about opinions though so they had every right to say that.
movies about conservation and environmentalism dont sell with 9 year old boys. and 9 year old boys is what drives merchandise
quality sells at theme parks, FOP, satuli, and windtraders are pretty high quality and thats why they are ding well

Marlins1

Yeah but people did not say it will sell because it is at the exit of a great ride. They just said there will be no interest and it won't sell. I have only watched 10 minutes of Avatar but can't wait to experience this land in August. Sometimes it is cool to visit great attractions and lands that you don't associate with a movie or show that you know inside out. I think that may be what is happening here just like TOT and Splash. As opposed to a mediocre Little Mermaid ride about a great movie that I saw countless times.

Driver

So ridiculous. Fighting over trinkets that will probably be long forgotten in a couple of months. Yes this is an isolated incident, but it's so clear that our culture is really slipping badly. I hope those idiots got bounced from the park at the very least.
Bingo!...... really sad isn't it? People behaving badly once again!

Magenta Panther

I still giggle when I see this thread at the thought of those who insisted Pandora wouldn't sell any substantial amounts of merchandise :D

Well, who'd have imagined there'd be merchandise like the Banshees? Everybody loves dragons (which is what Banshees are, come on). I can certainly see their appeal. Wouldn't want one, myself, but then I'm not a big merch buyer, even of *actual* Disney stuff.

mm121

so crazy they ran out of merch already.. it took them like 5 years to build pandora land, and its not like they plan to close it anytime soon, so there was no reason to not buy tons and tons of inventory

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
so crazy they ran out of merch already.. it took them like 5 years to build pandora land, and its not like they plan to close it anytime soon, so there was no reason to not buy tons and tons of inventory

They have plenty of inventory, just not for a very expensive hand-operated plastic shoulder pet. If I asked you if you would by a $50 hand-operated plastic shoulder pet related to a brand new ride, would you have said 'yes'? The number of people buying these things is... surprising. And they're doing so at $60 now.

RSoxNo1

Disney totally underestimated just how well the Banshees were going to sell, as @MisterPenguin said they didn't expect a hand operated pet to become the thing to buy at Pandora so stocks vanished almost as soon as they were put out.
Kudos to them for hitting on a single product. When you consider that very few people saw a merchandise draw at all to this land, it's hard to really blame for them for this. A year out, it will be interesting to see what Pandora merchandise has made it's way to the outlets.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Its a win win for Disney. They artificially created demand (and being able to bump the price up) while not having the expense of holding excess inventory.

Corgi

I went on the Banshee Flight ride in June and was so upset that there was no shoulder Banshees They're so cool! I hope they're there next year when Disney finally has a decent idea of just how many of those they need to make.

matt9112

So we bought a banshee for my son on day one of previews....they were flying off thee shelf. I knew the price was ridiculous but it was part of the moment. Also got a cool ACE magnet. The merch here is nice because it's very unique even if it's IP driven technically it's stuff you haven't seen before and have no idea about. It's not (princesses and mickey) everywhere. The lack of "Disney" is refreshing.

As an aside I believe wind traders is far too small and they clearly didn't know it would be this popular.

Edit: my two cents is that if a phase two ever occurs the rookery should become it's own stand alone shop with higher capacity and more intimant showmanship like olivanders.

RSoxNo1

So we bought a banshee for my son on day one of previews....they were flying off thee shelf. I knew the price was ridiculous but it was part of the moment. Also got a cool ACE magnet. The merch here is nice because it's very unique even if it's IP driven technically it's stuff you haven't seen before and have no idea about. It's not (princesses and mickey) everywhere. The lack of "Disney" is refreshing.

As an aside I believe wind traders is far too small and they clearly didn't know it would be this popular.

Edit: my two cents is that if a phase two ever occurs the rookery should become it's own stand alone shop with higher capacity and more intimant showmanship like olivanders.
Keep in mind they're building this for 2+ decades, not 2+ months. The newness is real and has to be considered. I could see long term that they expand the Rookery area within the building, but they don't have the inventory to make that possible right now. I also suspect that there will be a big selection of merchandise finding it's way to the outlets.

matt9112

Keep in mind they're building this for 2+ decades, not 2+ months. The newness is real and has to be considered. I could see long term that they expand the Rookery area within the building, but they don't have the inventory to make that possible right now. I also suspect that there will be a big selection of merchandise finding it's way to the outlets.

Hopefully not....avatars success is it's emersion and unique noin Disney look. So hopefully the merch lives and dies inside that land

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom