Windows 10

Frankie The Beer

Original Poster
Just started the install on my gaming PC. Reading nothing but positive reviews so far so I really hope Microsoft hits a home run here.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I put it on my daughters laptop on day one. I have had every version of Windows since 2.11 and going from 7 to 10 was by far the easiest Windows upgrade I have ever done. It is the first time I have ever gone into device manager after a new OS install and did not see at least one yellow triangle.

I am trying my best to hold off for a few weeks before I put it on my gaming rig as I also use it for work.

I will probably be lucky if I make it to the end of the weekend.;)

senor_jorge

Barbara Eden+? Bring it!!
So far,
I put it on my daughters laptop on day one. I have had every version of Windows since 2.11 and going from 7 to 10 was by far the easiest Windows upgrade I have ever done. It is the first time I have ever gone into device manager after a new OS install and did not see at least one yellow triangle.

I am trying my best to hold off for a few weeks before I put it on my gaming rig as I also use it for work.

I will probably be lucky if I make it to the end of the weekend.;)

Image it and worst case you burn a little time.

lazyboy97o

I've been using on my personal desktop in Parallels since the previews started like six months ago. So much better than Windows 8.

Jahona

I put it on my laptop. I figured if I could get it to work on a locked hardware platform then upgrading the desktops should be easy. Still working out a few hick-ups. Only took one attempt to upgrade from 7 to 10 which surprised me. It runs smoother than 7 that's for sure. I'll still wait a month or two before I upgrade my main machines.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I tried to upgrade from Win7.SP1 and had problems connecting to the internet after the upgrade. The OS doesn't even "see" the ethernet adapter, instead it shows a generic MS adapter that it says is operating normally... but it isn't connecting. Much googling later, I'm back on Win7 for now because none of the solutions offered worked for me. Even reverting to 7 I had problems connecting and had to do some very convoluted workarounds to restore what I had.

I'll probably try again and see if the Manufacturer's drivers will load and the OS will find the adapter once the right drivers are present. But after two days of back and forth, I need a brreak.

Jahona

@Monty sounds like the windows 7 drivers don't play fair with Windows 10. See if there is an updated version for Windows 8/8.1. Windows 10 uses the same base. I had a similar experience with my Bluetooth module in my laptop.

Clamman73

I tried to upgrade from Win7.SP1 and had problems connecting to the internet after the upgrade. The OS doesn't even "see" the ethernet adapter, instead it shows a generic MS adapter that it says is operating normally... but it isn't connecting. Much googling later, I'm back on Win7 for now because none of the solutions offered worked for me. Even reverting to 7 I had problems connecting and had to do some very convoluted workarounds to restore what I had.

I'll probably try again and see if the Manufacturer's drivers will load and the OS will find the adapter once the right drivers are present. But after two days of back and forth, I need a brreak.
There was a call on The Tech Guy about this yesterday. Maybe this will help you.
http://techguylabs.com/episodes/1207/why-cant-i-access-internet-windows-10

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
@Monty sounds like the windows 7 drivers don't play fair with Windows 10. See if there is an updated version for Windows 8/8.1. Windows 10 uses the same base. I had a similar experience with my Bluetooth module in my laptop.
There's a Win10 driver available. My next attempt will be to download that to a USB stick, upgrade and load the drivers. Then see if it finds the associated hardware.

The adapter is "Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V", but when I'm in Win10, it only shows a generic MS adapter.

We'll see what happens...
There was a call on The Tech Guy about this yesterday. Maybe this will help you.
http://techguylabs.com/episodes/1207/why-cant-i-access-internet-windows-10
Their advice is to wait until MS says my copy is ready, mine did. It just didn't work when I did it. Then it suggests SlimDrivers, a program that goes out and gets missing drivers... That won't get the right ones in Win7 and I can't connect in Win10.

StarWarsGirl

I let it install overnight, so I had it on July 29th. Just on my Surface 3 so far, which somehow was in the first wave of installations, and the files downloaded before the release date, so I installed right at midnight when it was release. Have not installed on my laptop yet as my school sent us an email that said, in more words, don't install it until we know everything works with our systems, or at the very least make sure you can access school services on another device. So I won't install it on my laptop until later.

I have had a few problems on my Surface 3 with it. Display driver has failed twice and had to reinstall the Wireless adapter driver.

The only other thing I don't like is snapping two windows. Seems far less intuitive than before, and it's a feature I use a lot.

Big fan of multiple desktops. Also is much more intuitive for a mouse and keyboard than Windows 8. Overall, it's a very nice OS and I've heard very few negative reviews, and the negative ones were from those who don't like Windows. Just getting used to it after using 8 for three years.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I installed it on my gaming rig just now.

The total time including downloading was just over an hour.

The only wrinkle I ran into was my having to install my wifi adapter driver manually.

After that I installed Catalyst and the latest AMD drivers, re-enabled Crossfire and I was done.

So far it looks like all of my software for work is functioning properly as is Steam, my printer, etc.

acishere

My Taskbar didn't work after updating until I restarted the laptop. Besides that the update was easy. I like the layout much better than 8. Cortana is nice although it stopped giving me live sport scores a few days ago and I could never get it to look for things in my email.

But my laptop is running much louder, hotter, and the battery is going quicker. Those reasons are outweighing all the good and making me want to downgrade.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
My Taskbar didn't work after updating until I restarted the laptop. Besides that the update was easy. I like the layout much better than 8. Cortana is nice although it stopped giving me live sport scores a few days ago and I could never get it to look for things in my email.

But my laptop is running much louder, hotter, and the battery is going quicker. Those reasons are outweighing all the good and making me want to downgrade.
With the fan running all the time it sounds like you CPU is under constant load. Open task manager and see if you can confirm this. If that is the case you will want to narrow down what is causing it. The number 1 and number 2 culprits are software running in the background or a bad driver.

Search through your running processes and see if you can find the culprit.

The Windows drivers for video cards are fairly lacking. If you have a dedicated video card in your laptop go to the manufacturers site (typically either Nvidia or AMD) and install the latest drivers from them.

It would also be a good idea to go through your power settings as well.

Last edited:

acishere

Search through your running processes and see if you can find the culprit.
The culprit seems to be these two background processes:
- From Microsoft Background Task Host - backgroundTaskHost.exe
- From Microsoft Download/Upload Host - BackgroundTransferHost.exe

The second one continues to appear and disappear from the list and is a pain to click on, but when I finally managed to and ended the task the CPU usage dropped back to normal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom