Win or Lose (Lease / Rent vs Buy)

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's burning money (leasing) vs owning the car at the end

This notion is so broke, and so untrue. You aren't paying for the same thing.. so comparing you 'owning the the car at the end' is fiction.. unless you are comparing the same term period.

If you lease for 3, and borrow for 4 or 5... you don't own that car at 3yrs. You've paid more in principle, and you still have a loan obligation. If you say 'well I can sell the car'... that is the same exact thing the leasee is doing... except they have a net zero transaction (their residual vs their obligation).

The only money being burned is in fees... and depreciation. And the 'buy' guy loses the SAME DEPRECIATION the leasee is paying for. Both the buy person and the leasee are paying interest.. the big chunk is the fees and if depreciation were to swing signficantly off the schedule.

I also was specific in that you shouldn't consider a bottom of the line car, as it will lose more.

I quoted the car you brought into the discussion... you then claimed the depreciation wasn't typical... I then showed you what real typical depreciation is.. (far far worse). Every example used was real... you keep claiming your reality is something different.

You're right, in that you assume risks and volatility. The lesser the car the higher the risk generally.

You are blurring collectibles and consumer vehicles where it suits your view. It's not about lesser or greater being the volatility - its other factors like gas, affordability vs the consumer forecast, etc. Volativity doesn't speak to which depreciates faster or not.. it speaks to CHANGE in the EXPECTED depreciation. Because again, leasing is just about paying a pre-set deprecation schedule.

Your position really sounds like someone said 'Psst.. hey buddy, I have this great idea on how you can afford a great car!'

If you really were looking to maximize your Residual and less expenses.. you should be buying the 1-2 year old car with mostly cash, and selling it after 2 years... not buying the new car.

Or do what I do.. and keep cars for 8+ years and enjoy no car payments and minimizing money lost to transaction fees.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Actually, World Omni is the financing arm of Southeast Toyota, the only privately held Toyota distributor in the USA. Toyota Financial Services (TFS) US is the financing arm of Toyota in the USA (there is also a separate TFS entity in Mexico). BTW, the financing arm of a manufacturer is referred to as a Captive in the finance industry. This applies not only to automotive manufacturers, but also industries such as watercraft, construction equipment, small aircraft, farm equipment, etc.

Sorry... finance geek broke out. I need to get back to Disney soon! :p

Yes, I meant SE Toyota, not Toyota worldwide. Thanks for catching that. Met Jan Moran several times. Lovely lady.

LAKid53

Premium Member
This notion is so broke, and so untrue. You aren't paying for the same thing.. so comparing you 'owning the the car at the end' is fiction.. unless you are comparing the same term period.

If you lease for 3, and borrow for 4 or 5... you don't own that car at 3yrs. You've paid more in principle, and you still have a loan obligation. If you say 'well I can sell the car'... that is the same exact thing the leasee is doing... except they have a net zero transaction (their residual vs their obligation).

The only money being burned is in fees... and depreciation. And the 'buy' guy loses the SAME DEPRECIATION the leasee is paying for. Both the buy person and the leasee are paying interest.. the big chunk is the fees and if depreciation were to swing signficantly off the schedule.

I quoted the car you brought into the discussion... you then claimed the depreciation wasn't typical... I then showed you what real typical depreciation is.. (far far worse). Every example used was real... you keep claiming your reality is something different.

You are blurring collectibles and consumer vehicles where it suits your view. It's not about lesser or greater being the volatility - its other factors like gas, affordability vs the consumer forecast, etc. Volativity doesn't speak to which depreciates faster or not.. it speaks to CHANGE in the EXPECTED depreciation. Because again, leasing is just about paying a pre-set deprecation schedule.

Your position really sounds like someone said 'Psst.. hey buddy, I have this great idea on how you can afford a great car!'

If you really were looking to maximize your Residual and less expenses.. you should be buying the 1-2 year old car with mostly cash, and selling it after 2 years... not buying the new car.

Or do what I do.. and keep cars for 8+ years and enjoy no car payments and minimizing money lost to transaction fees.

It was difficult following his argument, since he kept moving the target.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Original Poster
Because not everyone needs something shiny every couple of years.

2m0Fal3.jpg

flynnibus

Premium Member
Why do that when you can just trade them every couple of years instead? :hilarious:

Because a trade isn't free - duh. You are so adamant that the leasee is 'burning money' and that's exactly what trade-in does.
You are giving the dealer part of your value (he isn't taking cars in at a loss...) - Consider that 'burning up your value'
You are paying sales tax... again
You are paying DMV registration/titling fees... again
You are paying the dealer fees... again
You are resetting your loan.. which means more interest.. again
You are spending hours in paperwork and processes.. that I value my time for

My current 6 year old car looks like new to most people and still has a warranty with only a $100 deductible.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Original Poster

So, just so I understand, you are saying that when you're done with your loan and have the title in hand that you don't own the car you've paid off. Got it.

You don't own the car, right, I've said that before. You own value in that car though because you've paid the bank back for that amount. They have a net zero transaction, you don't. That's my whole point. Thanks for getting on board!

So, what happens if you owe less than the car is worth and you wreck but you don't have GAP?

No you didn't. You claimed 20% depreciation using bad math. The real percentage was 15%. Sorry, bad math doesn't mean you're right. Which post did you show real typical depreciation?

Am I? What was the target purchase this whole time? I'll wait.

Yeah, that's what it is. :hilarious:

Why? If I have $20K in value in my trade why shouldn't I use it?

That sounds like a great plan. See you on the side of the road. :joyfull:

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Original Poster
Because a trade isn't free - duh. You are so adamant that the leasee is 'burning money' and that's exactly what trade-in does.
You are giving the dealer part of your value (he isn't taking cars in at a loss...) - Consider that 'burning up your value'
You are paying sales tax... again
You are paying DMV registration/titling fees... again
You are paying the dealer fees... again
You are resetting your loan.. which means more interest.. again
You are spending hours in paperwork and processes.. that I value my time for

My current 6 year old car looks like new to most people and still has a warranty with only a $100 deductible.

It's not? No kidding. I'm pretty sure I did this math a page or two ago. Actually, I'm sure when I said "take $1 from the pile and burn it" I was talking about exactly this.

Do you think you have no fees in a lease? :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

What if I put 40k miles on my car every year? How's that lease working out for you now? :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

LAKid53

Premium Member
It's not? No kidding. I'm pretty sure I did this math a page or two ago. Actually, I'm sure when I said "take $1 from the pile and burn it" I was talking about exactly this.

Do you think you have no fees in a lease? :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

What if I put 40k miles on my car every year? How's that lease working out for you now? :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

And you're not moving the target?

21stamps

We've gone from a Bugatti, to a Porsche, to positive equity in a 24 month time span..with ZERO down payment at a 4% apr?!?!?!, now people leasing who drive 40k miles per year.

I'm going to chose thinking that it's all just to get people to respond.lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom