Will SeaWorld bring back the big act after the demise of Ringling Bros?

Aqueeta

Original Poster
Ringling Brothers kowtowed to the animal activist and within six months, the Greatest Show on Earth announced that it was shutting down. An American icon for 146 years, RB encountered a significant drop in attendance when they were bullied into removing the elephant act from their shows.

My question is simple, will SeaWorld fight to put trainers back in the water with the killer whales to boost attendance and save the park from going under?

21stamps

I think it's sad to see Ringling Brother's go. Very sad actually, we go very year including 2017.
I'm also sad that the Shamu show is no more.
To answer your question,
No, I don't either one will ever come back.

michmousefan

The circus and SW are two different businesses. The circus had to transport, house, feed and otherwise care for a variety of animals for a show that largely exploited them. SW is much closer to a zoo in makeup. SW is taking strides to distance themselves from some animal "shows" like Orca shows and is concentrating on preservation and rescue as well as diversifying their entertainment lineup with more rides. Seems rather different to me.

21stamps

The circus and SW are two different businesses. The circus had to transport, house, feed and otherwise care for a variety of animals for a show that largely exploited them. SW is much closer to a zoo in makeup. SW is taking strides to distance themselves from some animal "shows" like Orca shows and is concentrating on preservation and rescue as well as diversifying their entertainment lineup with more rides. Seems rather different to me.
I don't see how Ringling Bros. will affect SeaWorld. I think they know what the general public thinks - that orcas shouldn't be kept in captivity and are dangerous to people - and have taken steps to sooth both of those concerns.

SeaWorld is also investing in other aspects to sustain themselves: new rides and focusing on rescue efforts in the parks.

I say this in pretty much every SeaWolrd thread.. but it's worth repeating again.
They have been focusing on rescue and conservation long before Blackfish was released. As in decades before. It is and always has been a great program.

ok, speech over. :)

raven

Attendance for the circus has declined in the past 10 years dramatically, not just due to the absence of the elephants but mostly due to smart phones (per national news on the RB story). A phone is instant and cheaper to entertain a kid than a circus it. It's sad but it's true. I loved that circus as a kid and will now try to go one more time before it's gone.

Please don't think that this thread is not serious. SW has not done well financially since the elimination of the trainers from the orca shows and we all know the reason why. I think SW is now in a position to make a solid argument that the trainers are at no more risk than a race car driver.

Sea World isn't suffering financially. They just added a giant new coaster in Florida last year, a new one in San Diego this year, new shows and both Busch Gardens (same company) has added a few attractions as well.

matt78

Attendance for the circus has declined in the past 10 years dramatically, not just due to the absence of the elephants but mostly due to smart phones (per national news on the RB story). A phone is instant and cheaper to entertain a kid than a circus it. It's sad but it's true. I loved that circus as a kid and will now try to go one more time before it's gone.

I wonder if Ringling Bros would have been able to survive if they had a permanent home somewhere. People tend to spend more frivolously when they are on vacation. I think they might have been able to survive in Orlando if they held shows at night when the parks close early.

Aqueeta

Original Poster
SW is much closer to a zoo in makeup. SW is taking strides to distance themselves from some animal "shows" like Orca shows and is concentrating on preservation and rescue as well as diversifying their entertainment lineup with more rides. Seems rather different to me.

Sea World isn't suffering financially. They just added a giant new coaster in Florida last year, a new one in San Diego this year, new shows and both Busch Gardens (same company) has added a few attractions as well.

The elimination of waterworks makes SeaWorld simply a regional park, a la Six Flags, instead of a destination attraction and this has led to fewer international and long-distance visitors and, obviously, a decline in attendance. Their stock hit an all-time low in August of 2016 and although the price has risen lately, the projected earnings for the 4th quarter of 2016 are for a loss.

We all know that the actions by OSHA were discriminatory in that there are a plethora of other forms of entertainment that have a much more dismal record when it comes to safety (i.e. auto racing; boxing; football; bull riding; etc...) and this type of bullying by the government (and the radical animal activist) will only lead to a failed company and a loss of jobs.

The demise of Ringling Bros should be like looking in a mirror and I hope and pray that the new President of SW Orlando, Jim Dean, a finance man, will realize that they are doomed unless the "big act" is reinstated and trainers are once again allowed in the water with the orcas. All SW has to do is threaten to shut down and eliminate 20,000+ jobs and I am sure their wish will be granted.

Last edited:

21stamps

The elimination of waterworks makes SeaWorld simply a regional park, a la Six Flags, instead of a destination attraction and this has led to fewer international and long-distance visitors and, obviously, a decline in attendance. Their stock hit an all-time low in August of 2016 and although the price has risen lately, the projected earnings for the 4th quarter of 2016 are for a loss.

We all know that the actions by OSHA were discriminatory in that there are plethora of other forms of entertainment that have a much more dismal record when it comes to safety (i.e. auto racing; boxing; football; bull riding; etc...) and the demise of Ringling Bros should be like looking in a mirror.

I hope and pray that the new President of SW Orlando, Jim Dean, a finance man, will realize that they are doomed unless the "big act" is reinstated and trainers are once again allowed in the water with the orcas. All SW has to do is threaten to shut down and eliminate 20,000+ jobs and I am sure their wish will be granted.

That show was one of my favorites as a child. I can still place myself right back in the stands and feel the excitement of getting splashed.of the trainers riding on and diving off this magnificent creature. Year after year I loved it, and all of SeaWorld.

It's a fantastic memory but it will never happen again and my child will sadly never experience it.

All of that being said, trainers should not ever go back in the water with the whales. Ever. People lost their lives, and the risk is too high. If only one person would have been killed in a random situation I may think differently, but it wasn't just one, and it wasn't only one situation.

The shows themselves, sans trainers, I do wish they would continue, but they won't. I think they're just part of history now. A fond memory to look back on and tell our children about.

Aqueeta

Original Poster
All of that being said, trainers should not ever go back in the water with the whales. Ever. People lost their lives, and the risk is too high. If only one person would have been killed in a random situation I may think differently, but it wasn't just one, and it wasn't only one situation .
Two trainers have died within the last 30 years and that is far cry from the number of deaths in other forms of high-risk entertainment. SW has a stellar safety record and one to be championed and not maligned just because certain groups favor animal lives over human lives.

contrariwise

Two trainers have died within the last 30 years and that is far cry from the number of deaths in other forms of high-risk entertainment. SW has a stellar safety record and one to be championed and not maligned just because certain groups favor animal lives over human lives.

Regardless, they have taken a hit in the court of public opinion, and as far as business strategy, should re-focus their efforts elsewhere. Businesses have to watch what's going in and be willing to shift gears as needed.

raven

I wonder if Ringling Bros would have been able to survive if they had a permanent home somewhere. People tend to spend more frivolously when they are on vacation. I think they might have been able to survive in Orlando if they held shows at night when the parks close early.
A circus is historically a show that travels, especially the RB circus. The audience shouldn't have to fly to a location to see the circus. That's why PT Barnum joined Bailey in the first place. Barnum wanted to reach more audiences than his (short lived) museum that was in New York and other his shows in other places.

I think the fact that Blackfish (being completely one-sided) can still be streamed by thousands of viewers who believe every word that they hear during the film is unfair. Sea World has released several statements, community service announcements and commercials locally to prove that they are caring for their animals. But because they cannot reach the same amount of viewers worldwide as the film did, they are condemned to face reality.

raven

I think the poster was saying that if their business model isn't working then they might adapt if they changed it. And by suggesting Orlando, that's a popular tourist destination where people are already flying to and may buy a ticket if RB circus became more of an exotic destination vs. something that comes to your own town every year. For one I would love to see a RB circus-type theme park. Different sections could include fairway games, animal sanctuaries, a historical section and a big top theater where people perform.
Orlando? You realize that would be a HUGE gamble for a company, who's not in the theme park business, to try and build a successful park to compete with the big league parks. Look at what just happened to Wet N Wild. Also Splendid China comes to mind. So if they were to possibly do that I would suggest Vegas over anything.

michmousefan

I think the poster was saying that if their business model isn't working then they might adapt if they changed it. And by suggesting Orlando, that's a popular tourist destination where people are already flying to and may buy a ticket if RB circus became more of an exotic destination vs. something that comes to your own town every year. For one I would love to see a RB circus-type theme park. Different sections could include fairway games, animal sanctuaries, a historical section and a big top theater where people perform.
Or maybe it's something like just a nightly Circus show/performance... and since it would be a "permanent" installation, perhaps the animal facilities could be toured for a couple hours before the show... maybe with some backstage talks by trainers/keepers/handlers. It could be argued that having full-time, permanent homes for the animals would be treating them better than living their lives in railroad cars.

But I'm not sure that a market like Orlando could support another year-round attraction... even like a circus with the RB-BB brand name attached to it. Still a huge financial risk; not only are the theme parks adding more nighttime stuff, attractions like the Orlando Eye serve to soak up a couple hours of post-park visiting wherever they can. And if that skycoaster tower thing ever gets built...

matt78

We all know that the actions by OSHA were discriminatory in that there are a plethora of other forms of entertainment that have a much more dismal record when it comes to safety (i.e. auto racing; boxing; football; bull riding; etc...) and this type of bullying by the government (and the radical animal activist) will only lead to a failed company and a loss of jobs.

The demise of Ringling Bros should be like looking in a mirror and I hope and pray that the new President of SW Orlando, Jim Dean, a finance man, will realize that they are doomed unless the "big act" is reinstated and trainers are once again allowed in the water with the orcas. All SW has to do is threaten to shut down and eliminate 20,000+ jobs and I am sure their wish will be granted.

SeaWorld doesn't need to bring back the shows. What they should have done was go ahead with building the Blue World expansion tanks and turned them into a Shark Encounter type attraction. It would be really popular and doesn't come with any of the negative feedback that will come with continuing the shows.The guests would get to have close encounters with the orcas and the orcas would end up with larger tanks. It would have been a win win for everyone except the animal rights activists who insist on the orcas being released.

raven

I usually go to Sea World a couple of times a year. The last time I went, early summer maybe, while I was sitting in the shows and walking around I would catch myself smiling. The place has really made a huge turn around since all this media coverage happened and whatever they are doing seems to be working IMO.

Tom Morrow

Yes they are. They're cutting operational hours, staff, anything they can, basically. Attendance is dismal. Mako was built to attempt to reverse the dwindling attendance levels, but it did not help. On most days, not only is Mako a walk-on, but you can ride multiple times without having to leave your seat.

SeaWorld is in trouble and if they aren't able to turn attendance around I could see the park being put up for sale within the next few years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom