Will Disney take over Angel Stadium

TP2000

They already have land for a third theme park, and much closer to the existing parks. Angel Stadium is very far away and not suitable for Disney's needs. Disney already owned the team 20 years ago, and they gave it up after a decade or so. It's not their bag.

The stadium dust-up between Anaheim and the Angels is classic sports drama that plays out in many big cities. The Angels aren't going anywhere anytime soon, and if they do leave they certainly aren't moving to Tustin.

Sparky359621

They already have land for a third theme park, and much closer to the existing parks. Angel Stadium is very far away and not suitable for Disney's needs. Disney already owned the team 20 years ago, and they gave it up after a decade or so. It's not their bag.

The stadium dust-up between Anaheim and the Angels is classic sports drama that plays out in many big cities. The Angels aren't going anywhere anytime soon, and if they do leave they certainly aren't moving to Tustin.
Where is the land that Disney has for a third park?

Travel Junkie

GiveMeTheMusic

It's hard to imagine the Angels actually leaving Anaheim, but if they did I'm sure they'd stay in Orange County to let the Dodgers have their space.

lazyboy97o

The Toy Story parking lot and adjacent CM parking lot across the street from the convention center.

The smaller red box below is the rumored future 2nd parking structure and the larger one is the third gate. In addition to what is known, it is rumored Disney owns a lot of land around the Toy Story lot.

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2013/03/a-third-gate-for-disneyland-anaheim-yes.html
And I'd just like to add that the land being designated for a third gate is not a rumor. Disney told the City it would be a third theme park in the late 1990s and the permission to use the land for parking is technically temporary.

Disney was so confident the third theme park was right around the corner they even put up a web page.
https://web.archive.org/web/20000817041730/http://www.thirdthemepark.com/

Walt Disney1955

Never underestimate a team leaving because of a building dust up. You L.A. fans should know that better than anyone else. After 1957 when Walter O'Malley couldn't get Brooklyn to help him fund a new stadium to find a new home for the Brooklyn Dodgers to replace the outdated Ebbets Field he packed up shop and moved to L.A. where the team is today. Just like that. He called their bluff. He's a hated man to this day because of that, but it happened. To compare what the magnitude would be of the Brooklyn Dodgers leaving town the best comparison today would be imagine if the Boston Red Sox left town. Honestly, Brooklyn was the second most profitable team in baseball after the Yankees. So I guess what I am saying, is that this can surely happen to the Anaheim Angels.

But will it? I doubt it.

That being said, that land is too far for a Disney park. This isn't WDW. They have land the size of the city of San Francisco. They've got monorails and buses and you never leave Disney property to get to where you want to go. Would it be a little anticlimactic to be taking a monorail - or a bus or whatever - down Kaletta Avenue to go to a third park? I don't know. I think it would.

James122

Truth be told, as much as I would love the addition of a third gate, I actually really like the way the parks are set up now, with both DL and DCA right across the esplanade from each other. It makes park hopping so much more convenient.

And anyway, I agree with Big Phil - the land where Angel Stadium sits is way too far from the rest of the resort to make it an optimal site for a third park. They'd have to either significantly extend and refurbish the monorail (so as to handle the large amounts of people going from park to park) or come up with some kind of express bus network to get folks from the main resort to the third park and back. The former option would likely be VERY expensive and the latter probably isn't very practical.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Never underestimate a team leaving because of a building dust up. You L.A. fans should know that better than anyone else. After 1957 when Walter O'Malley couldn't get Brooklyn to help him fund a new stadium to find a new home for the Brooklyn Dodgers to replace the outdated Ebbets Field he packed up shop and moved to L.A. where the team is today. Just like that. He called their bluff. He's a hated man to this day because of that, but it happened. To compare what the magnitude would be of the Brooklyn Dodgers leaving town the best comparison today would be imagine if the Boston Red Sox left town. Honestly, Brooklyn was the second most profitable team in baseball after the Yankees. So I guess what I am saying, is that this can surely happen to the Anaheim Angels.

But will it? I doubt it.

That being said, that land is too far for a Disney park. This isn't WDW. They have land the size of the city of San Francisco. They've got monorails and buses and you never leave Disney property to get to where you want to go. Would it be a little anticlimactic to be taking a monorail - or a bus or whatever - down Kaletta Avenue to go to a third park? I don't know. I think it would.
Disney once publicly claimed that expansion in Long Beach was a possibility instead of expansion in Anaheim.

Walt Disney1955

Disney once publicly claimed that expansion in Long Beach was a possibility instead of expansion in Anaheim.

Long Beach? Geez. That wouldn't be Disneyland anymore, the mystique would be gone from travelling that far. WDW at least owns all the property and there aren't actual cities in between.

No, I say Disneyland is fine the way it is. The good thing about Disneyland is that the travel time from park to park is convenient. That's what is unique about it compared to WDW. WDW has the luxury of space, Disneyland doesn't. In my opinion they could work out a way to have more parking in Disneyland which I thought was an issue when I was there. They did very well for having two parks and doing what they can with the space provided.

Travel Junkie

Long Beach? Geez. That wouldn't be Disneyland anymore, the mystique would be gone from travelling that far. WDW at least owns all the property and there aren't actual cities in between.

No, I say Disneyland is fine the way it is. The good thing about Disneyland is that the travel time from park to park is convenient. That's what is unique about it compared to WDW. WDW has the luxury of space, Disneyland doesn't. In my opinion they could work out a way to have more parking in Disneyland which I thought was an issue when I was there. They did very well for having two parks and doing what they can with the space provided.

The long Beach site was the first iteration of what ended up being Disney Sea in Tokyo. I wouldn’t mind driving to Long Beach if that was the result.

Disneyland has made overtures for land all over So Cal and currently own a lot of land in the area not connected to the DLR resort or their studios. They owned land in Long Beach for a while which is why the Disney Sea project was proposed there. They wanted to acquire Knott’s Berry Farm before it was sold to Cedar Fair. Keep in mind that most of DLR’s current visitors drive their own car to arrive, so bouncing around from one place to another isn’t a huge deal.

Angel Stadium is not that far from DLR and it sits on the best that Orange County has to offer in terms of mass transit (granted it isn’t great but improving.) They could do a lot with that huge chunk of land even if they never built a theme park. Resorts, shopping, etc and it could serve as the main transit hub for out of towners getting to the resort area, then transported to DLR proper.

Even if they didn’t ever plan to put anything there, anytime that much property becomes available in California, it pays to grab it and flip it later for a profit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom