Will Disney ever do something with River Country?

Gullywhumper

Original Poster
On December 2, 2001 Disney's first water park, River Country was closed. People speculate various reasons on why it was closed. Some say that because of Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon the attendance had died down so much at the park that they closed it. Others state that it closed because of a dangerous amoeba that could eat your brain. But the thing is, if Disney really wanted to get rid of the water park...why didn't they bulldoze it? To this day, you can still go there, but because of all the videos showcasing it on youtube recently the security has been brought up a bit more. But, if you were to go there now you would find some things strange, such as the water fountains, lights, and even music still works! Some people state that the power source for RC is tied to the Wilderness lodge, but I'm not so sure about that. Isn't that just a waste of power? But anyways, I think there is a possibility that Disney could fix up RC and open it up again!

mpeters

Disney has the luxury of not having to do anything with that part of the property unless they have plans to make something of the space. It is actually cheaper to let nature take it back over than to bull doze it down at this point. Im sure when the time comes for a new hotel or park addition they will utilize the space but until then, it sits. It does seem like a waste of money to us as well but I equate it to this: Do you turn the water off when brush your teeth? Like me probably not, but you are wasting money by having the water run. You don't notice it because it probably is pennies. Its the same with Disney just on a larger scale.

Gullywhumper

Original Poster
Disney has the luxury of not having to do anything with that part of the property unless they have plans to make something of the space. It is actually cheaper to let nature take it back over than to bull doze it down at this point. Im sure when the time comes for a new hotel or park addition they will utilize the space but until then, it sits. It does seem like a waste of money to us as well but I equate it to this: Do you turn the water off when brush your teeth? Like me probably not, but you are wasting money by having the water run. You don't notice it because it probably is pennies. Its the same with Disney just on a larger scale.
You do have a point, but if some one gets hurt on the property, even if they aren't supposed to be there, they could still sue Disney for lots of money. If they are going to keep it around, it would be a better idea to at least get better security on the property.

mpeters

You do have a point, but if some one gets hurt on the property, even if they aren't supposed to be there, they could still sue Disney for lots of money. If they are going to keep it around, it would be a better idea to at least get better security on the property.
there are signs posted I assume for trespassing etc. I don't think any court system in the world would even acknowledge a law suit for someone trespassing and getting hurt like that. Im also pretty sure that if someone is stupid enough to go in there they can assume all risks..........

Gullywhumper

Original Poster
there are signs posted I assume for trespassing etc. I don't think any court system in the world would even acknowledge a law suit for someone trespassing and getting hurt like that. Im also pretty sure that if someone is stupid enough to go in there they can assume all risks..........
Also, I don't think it's worth the risk of even going there because if you are caught there, they can make it so you can never go to WDW...ever again!

mpeters

Also, I don't think it's worth the risk of even going there because if you are caught there, they can make it so you can never go to WDW...ever again!

well I don't know about a lifetime ban...although it may be possible....maybe removal for your vacation???? Maybe they would just subject you to only allowing you to go on Stitch's Great Escape for the remainder of your trip

Gullywhumper

Original Poster
It's private property. They can say you are no longer welcome, tell you never to return, and if you do, they'll have you arrested for trespassing. Slang is "trespassed" - formally cited that you are not allowed on property.
Some people who have filmed going there have been banned from the parks.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

There are many other cases of Disney abandoning, but not removing closed attractions, for example Image Works, Food Rocks, parts of the attractions in Wonders of Life, and the Swan Boat landing in MK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom