Will anyone miss Ellen's Energy Adventure?

Cmdr_Crimson

This may be common knowledge to some people here, but I have to ask-was the dinosaur section of UoE modelled after the prehistoric diorama in DLR's railroad tunnel? The scene in the picture above looks almost exactly like the one at DL.
Yes. They used the same dino designs that Disney artists created for Ford's Magic Skyway.

Actually the scene was used Waaaay before any of that...It was inspired by the Rite of Spring sequence from 1940's Fantasia...
screen_fantasia_m4.jpg

Jeff456

I will miss it hugely I never got to experience UoE before the EEA overlay so this is the only version I know. I would ride it multiple times every time and every day I was in epcot. For me it was lots of Nostalgia and still made me laugh even though it's undoubtedly dared.
As others have mentioned where else is there a ride that lasts 40 minutes?
Even if you don't enjoy it it's a good place for a nap!

crxbrett

I know this subject has been mentioned before, but the old Epcot consisted of a lot of attractions that were more than 5 minutes long. Spaceship Earth, UoE, Cranium Command, Horizons, WoM, Journey Into Imagination, Magic Journeys/EO/HISTA, Listen To/Living With The Land, Symbiosis/COL, KK/Food Rocks and The Living Seas.

Almost every single one of those has been replaced with something that is either 5 min or less now, or at least half as long as the original attraction was. The only ones left now that are still long are SE, LWTL and COL. The rest are either gone or were abbreviated greatly from their original incarnations.

For me, I preferred the more laid-back pace of old Future World.

-

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
But don't you go to a park and look at the map and see what the rides and attractions are and try to see and do them all?

I haven't looked at a map in years - visit every 2-3 months. If I saw it on an Epcot map, probably thought "maybe". Not all rides interest me, like IASW.

jaklgreen

I haven't looked at a map in years - visit every 2-3 months. If I saw it on an Epcot map, probably thought "maybe". Not all rides interest me, like IASW.

It's too bad you missed it. It was a nice ride, we all liked it. There are rides that we will not go on again, but have tried all of them at least once. You never know what you will surprise you. :D

DfromATX

I know this subject has been mentioned before, but the old Epcot consisted of a lot of attractions that were more than 5 minutes long. Spaceship Earth, UoE, Cranium Command, Horizons, WoM, Journey Into Imagination, Magic Journeys/EO/HISTA, Listen To/Living With The Land, Symbiosis/COL, KK/Food Rocks and The Living Seas.

Almost every single one of those has been replaced with something that is either 5 min or less now, or at least half as long as the original attraction was. The only ones left now that are still long are SE, LWTL and COL. The rest are either gone or were abbreviated greatly from their original incarnations.

-

I love LWTL. It's actually one of my favorite rides.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I'm sure this was more of a rhetorical topic to elicit sympathy for the soon to be defunct ride, but my wife and I are glad to see it go without any reservations. Bill Nye was a mechanical engineer specializing in hydraulics for Boeing. He left the company to pursue comedy and writing. He's just another talking head, not a subject matter expert on energy of any type.

If this was one of the attempts at Edutainment, it failed unless it were about the wonders of a dark AC ride on a hot summer day.

The Empress Lilly

-
EPCOT 1987: 5 minute wait, 45 minute ride
Epcot 2017: 45 minute wait, 5 minute ride

Animaniac93-98

but that movie just felt stale and corporate.

That's because it was commissioned by Exxon in 1996. They got what they paid for.

I won't miss the presentation called "Ellen's Energy Adventure" (besides the music), but I will miss:

- The dinosaur show scenes
- The unique ride system
- A high capacity show
- An attraction with a long run time
- Another piece of opening day EPCOT Center
- Most importantly, the potential to do a 3rd version. Likely for a fraction of what they'll spend on GotG

bh_trade

I will miss the dinosaurs, even the swampy smell. But I definitely won't miss how they "stupified" the dinosaur portion with Ellen animatronics.

My family visited WDW in June of this year and park hopped to Epcot for the 2nd half of the day. I knew there was talk of this attraction closing but honestly, we didn't have 40+ min to spare and missed out on riding it one last time.

In a nutshell: like much of future world, I have nostalgic memories of this attraction from yester-decade, but it was time for it to go.

KBLovedDisney

I am starting to, especially since it is getting really close to closing. I've always loved how the ride worked, with the moving seats. I will definitely miss the panorama of the dinosaurs. That was always the coolest part, with the curtains opening and you move into the prehistoric era. The show with Ellen? Not so much.

po1998

I will miss it a lot. It was classic Epcot and classic Disney. Since we don't know how the GotG will fit into FW from a theme perspective, I am more angry right now, that an attraction that could be rode by all, is being replaced by a thrill ride which only a subset of guests will be able to enjoy.

I can only hope that it is more along the thrill level of BTMRR, and not along the lines of M:S or EE.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom