Wildlife sightings at Caribbean Beach Resort?

KCKAS

Original Poster
Hi everybody,

My family of five will be staying at CBR in September. I was curious about wildlife sightings any of you have experienced there. I know there will be lizards everywhere, but what else.

For example, we have seen deer, bunnies, snakes, armadillo, bald eagle, and a family of otters at various Disney resorts in the past. I am curious what we should keep our eye out for. Thank you. Karen

Maelstrom Troll

My wife and I saw an alligator in the water near the deck outside the main building when we were there in 9/2009. People were feeding it and I'm sure it came back to that spot quite frequently. One time while walking back to the food court late at night, I heard a very startling commotion in the bushes not far from me. I was a little nervous about the seeing the gator the night before so I think I might have hurried along a bit more than usual ;) When I asked a groundskeeper about alligators at the resort, he denied it saying he had never seen one in his 10 years there.

mousehockey37

Let's see... wildlife... wildlife...

Ah!

Tourists... you should expect to see a wide variety of tourists.... They come in all shapes, sizes and nationalities. Some have retractable arms that they now have to leave at home (selfie sticks), others have motorized transports that could run you over and cause injury, there are others that feast while walking and more that have iPads firmly in hand to record every second of their day (and night).

Beware though of the entitled tourist.... This is a rare species of tourist and should be avoided at all cost. They will try to force magic to happen, thus ruining moments for others around them... ;)

OP, is there any way of finding out if there's anything published on the animals in that area? Maybe call the resort and ask? Surely they'd know or at least be able to get you an idea.

FutureCEO

Let's see... wildlife... wildlife...

Beware though of the entitled tourist.... This is a rare species of tourist and should be avoided at all cost. They will try to force magic to happen, thus ruining moments for others around them... ;)

instead of rare species, it should be the most common

NonnaT

Don't forget about the snapping turtles (huge) as you look over the bridge headed to the pool! In '05 there was a gator but he was caught on the grounds of SOH. He was "only" 4 feet in length, but scary enough for this tourist. If there are gators you can be sure that WDW folks are wrestling them out of there pronto! I also heard recently there was a black bear at CBR. No pics though.

SosoDude

Back in Sept. of 2009 there were some guest walking down by the lake and actually wading in the water. A CM came by and made them get out of the water. I remember him telling them that there was several reasons Disney won't let guest in the lake and gators were only one of them.

epcotisbest

While not WDW related, we spotted this sage advice posted at Atlantis in the Bahamas:
shark tank.jpg

DABIGCHEEZ

We have seen plenty of wildlife at various resorts over the years... Yes gators, various snakes, turtles, and lizards are at CBR... you most likely will not see the gators and snakes though as they like to remain away from people. We had a Black Rat snake swim across the SSR pool one year though.

Birds are also there... raptors, White Ibis, various herons, egrets and Common Gallinules, possible Wood Storks, Sandhill Cranes and Limpkin (always see these at SSR). Other smaller birds as well. We have seen a bunch of species throughout WDW.

And you will certainly hear, and possibly see, Toads, Treefrogs and House Geckos at night. We often see them by the lighting at nighttime. Just some of the mammals we have seen WDW(not specifically CBR) are racoons, fox, armadillos, deer, bunnies, river otters(even saw them a DTD a few years back), opossum and skunks.

EDIT: I totally missed that you stayed at other WDW resorts... so basically anything you have seen at those can show up at CBR. Many folks aren't really looking for wildlife, like I do, so many critters are missed.

This guy was at SSR a few years ago...

Last edited:

DABIGCHEEZ

From our December 2012 trip:

We also saw lots of little lizards.
Have a great trip!!

These are the White Ibis and Black Vultures... These guys will pretty much leave you alone.

But watch out for the Great Egrets if you have food, they have taken various food items from our tables at resorts and parks(not room patio/deck)

Matt Deitz

Be on the lookout for the overly friendly squirrels! :p

My last stay at CSR, I was eating a pastry at a table outside El Centro. A squirrel was soon on my SHOULDER wanting some of it. He was a cute guy and very tame, but wasn't expecting him to be that bold. :eek:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I'm always looking for a gator and never have any luck. I have seen lot of the other animals others have listed. I saw a lot of deer but the armadillo was the highlight of wildlife so far. I had never seen one in the wild before whereas I've seen way too many deer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom