Wilderness Lodge DVC additions - Copper Creek Villas & Cabins

MonorailLover

Sounds like they're building a whole new building. Perhaps they've realized that to make DVC lucrative at WL they will need more than just some rooms converted.

I don't understand how they'd be able to get away with that description though. Does Disney have a habit of understating the work to be done?

How about this new building have a monorail station!!!!!.....:D:D:D Am I right? Am I right?.....

Or not...

Last edited:

DisneyDad61

I am curious (as more people are in the know than I am). Was there ever a permit filed with the South Florida Water Management District for the construction of the DVC Polynesian Bungalows? It would seem that the rumoured WL DVC conversion could be compared, to a certain extent, to the Poly conversion.

Secondly, another interesting note was that 4240 Architects from Denver (Peter Dominick - now deceased) was not used in this alleged conversion. Since he and the firm did such a fantastic job on WL, I just find it interesting that 4240 was not used to continue this alleged conversion (bidding aside).

And to agree with points noted above, it certainly seems extremely vague in the commencement description to have such a cast of SC's (along with the GC) for just a flooring and lighting rehab. I think from what we have now seen uip to this point (including the trailer(s) on property that we obviously have a major renovation / conversion coming to WL.

As a VWL DVC Member, I have mixed feelings. I put this as painful during the conversion process but I believe that the overall enhancements to the property (looking at the overall experience at the Poly and AK) will make the resort an even more exciting and beautiful destination hotel within WDW, especially if they continue with some additional water features and enhancements.

Anyone have any insight from my first paragraph?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I am curious (as more people are in the know than I am). Was there ever a permit filed with the South Florida Water Management District for the construction of the DVC Polynesian Bungalows? It would seem that the rumoured WL DVC conversion could be compared, to a certain extent, to the Poly conversion.

Secondly, another interesting note was that 4240 Architects from Denver (Peter Dominick - now deceased) was not used in this alleged conversion. Since he and the firm did such a fantastic job on WL, I just find it interesting that 4240 was not used to continue this alleged conversion (bidding aside).

And to agree with points noted above, it certainly seems extremely vague in the commencement description to have such a cast of SC's (along with the GC) for just a flooring and lighting rehab. I think from what we have now seen uip to this point (including the trailer(s) on property that we obviously have a major renovation / conversion coming to WL.

As a VWL DVC Member, I have mixed feelings. I put this as painful during the conversion process but I believe that the overall enhancements to the property (looking at the overall experience at the Poly and AK) will make the resort an even more exciting and beautiful destination hotel within WDW, especially if they continue with some additional water features and enhancements.

Anyone have any insight from my first paragraph?

Yes, a permit was filed with the SFWMD for the Poly bungalows. There have not been any SFWMD permits for WL yet.

Monorail_Red_77

How about this new building have a monorail station!!!!!.....:D:D:D Am I right? Am I right?.....

Or not...

That would be nice. It seems that Wilderness Lodge is a similar situation as the hotel that Disney had on the site of the current Shades of Green. In that, it was close to MK but not on the monorail loop. Now, granted it is in a bit of a better shape because it has bus and boat connections where as Shades only has bus connections. But still. I gotta say it is a bit of a let down. Plus I have heard that it takes forever to get there by bus.

note2001

That would be nice. It seems that Wilderness Lodge is a similar situation as the hotel that Disney had on the site of the current Shades of Green. In that, it was close to MK but not on the monorail loop. Now, granted it is in a bit of a better shape because it has bus and boat connections where as Shades only has bus connections. But still. I gotta say it is a bit of a let down. Plus I have heard that it takes forever to get there by bus.

WL has a direct connection to MK via bus. The ride is typically less than 6 minutes (much faster than the boats), and since most folk take the boat over, it's a fairly empty bus.

A monorail would disturb the wilderness theme of the lodge. They wouldn't do it.

Last edited:

MonorailLover

WL has a direct connection to MK via bus. The ride is typically less than 6 minutes (much faster than the boats), and since most folk take the boat over, it's a fairly empty bus.

A monorail would disturb the wilderness theme of the lodge. They wouldn't do it.

I don't know, if it went to the front of the resort, similar to the Polynesian or grand, I don't Think it would affect it much, I would still love the resort. They're pretty quiet. I would only expect a station if they got new monorails, which would be even quieter.

I've seen many national parks and forests with monorails. Not to name them all but, New Forest National Park has one:
image.jpg

Last edited:

Monorail_Red_77

I don't know, if it went to the front of the resort, similar to the Polynesian or grand, I don't Think it would affect it much, I would still love the resort. They're pretty quiet. I would only expect a station if they got new monorails, which would be even quieter.

I've seen many national parks and forests with monorails. Not to name them all but, New Forest National Park has one:
View attachment 91976

They could even create a landscaped berm to separate the monorail line from the resort. Kinda like the landscaping around the steam train line hides backstage. I'm sure it would not be hard to do, if needed at all.

MonorailLover

Let me just go on the record of saying that I don't think they would extend the monorail to WL- or anywhere for that matter.

But if WL became a monorail resort- that would be incredible for the resort as a whole. Of course DVC members would like it- and how could it not increase the demand for resort guests? Although... somehow, someone from somewhere would tell us how DVC hurts every resort it goes into.

I don't think I would either.... If you read my original post on the idea, you would notice it was a joke...

bunnyman

Cutting through all the clutter, has anything actually commenced yet and if not when should it start-up? Staying there in August, and wondering what will be going on?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Cutting through all the clutter, has anything actually commenced yet and if not when should it start-up? Staying there in August, and wondering what will be going on?

Permits for construction trailer setup were filed mid March, and permits for actual work were just filed so I would expect work to be well under way but August.

djkidkaz

I was over at WL about two weeks ago and they had a ton of scaffolding up around the building. Looked like they were just getting ready to do the typical paint and refurb.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I was over at WL about two weeks ago and they had a ton of scaffolding up around the building. Looked like they were just getting ready to do the typical paint and refurb.
The scaffolding has been up in various locations on the lodge since last fall.

DisneyDad61

Good morning
In that it has been a few weeks sine there has been any real news or photos of what is going on at WL (beyond the recent Notice of Commencement).
I was curious if anyone here on the message board is or will be at WL in the near future to update us on any signs of the construction trailer? (presumably not too far from the WL Marina area)
I was also curious that I had heard that two (2) rooms at the lodge have allegedly been converted to DVC studio's and that the patio doors are covered /blocked so no one can look in?
I was just trying to see what, if any progress can be seen at the lodge beyond the unrelated exterior type rehab that is progressing around the different sections of the lodge exterior.
Thanks

SomeInternetGuy

Plans for the rehab were finally filed with the SFWMD yesterday. Since these documents are considered public record, I hope there's no issue with posting images from them here.

Here's the project description from the Geotech. report:

The project under consideration herein is the existing Wilderness Lodge at Walt Disney World,
Florida. New construction will include a series of one story lodging buildings to the east and west of
the Lodge. These buildings will front onto Bay Lake. Also included with the project are new
restaurants and recreation buildings (also one story) together with new pools and upgrades to
existing pools.
(Page 100 of this document)

Illustrated plan of the proposed changes:
l2LwoMC.jpg

(Page 115 of this document)

Sheet from the civil plans for the rehab:
7ts68AN.jpg

(Page 14 of this document)

Looks like they'll be adding a total of 26 "lodging buildings" facing Bay Lake, as expected. However, unlike the Poly bungalows, these won't be built over the water, and it looks like only about half of them will have any decent view of the MK fireworks. It also appears they'll be upgrading/expanding the pool adjacent to the Villas building, and adding the new recreation buildings mentioned in the project description to that area, as well as what I assume to be a new restaurant building near the boat dock.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Plans for the rehab were finally filed with the SFWMD yesterday. Since these documents are considered public record, I hope there's no issue with posting images from them here.

Here's the project description from the Geotech. report:

(Page 100 of this document)

Illustrated plan of the proposed changes:
l2LwoMC.jpg

(Page 115 of this document)

Sheet from the civil plans for the rehab:
7ts68AN.jpg

(Page 14 of this document)

Looks like they'll be adding a total of 26 "lodging buildings" facing Bay Lake, as expected. However, unlike the Poly bungalows, these won't be built over the water, and it looks like only about half of them will have any decent view of the MK fireworks. It also appears they'll be upgrading/expanding the pool adjacent to the Villas building, and adding the new recreation buildings mentioned in the project description to that area, as well as what I assume to be a new restaurant building near the boat dock.

Beat me to it! :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom