Wild Africa Trek- is it worth it?

Hi guys!

Going to the World March 1-March 6. Planning our AK trip for March 3rd. My GF has her heart set on the
Wild Africa Trek tour. I was trying to get out of buying her an expensive dress for her birthday and suggested this as an alternative. This didn't deter my girlfriend away from the dress, but rather convinced her she deserved both. I priced out the tour for our date...and the final number is *DRUM ROLL* 400 DOLLARS!!! :greedy::in pain::banghead:. She has broken down and offered to pay her half...but I am somewhat frugal and this decision is KILLING me. Anyone participate in this tour, and if so would you say its worth the hefty price tag? I've looked at reviews and they are all pretty good but seemed like the Pixie Dust snorters spammed the review board so I can't trust it.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks to Master Yoda, I've edited my original post to remove some elements that made this post seem a little fiesty :)

Last edited:

Sans Souci

I have never been, mostly because my husband balks at the price (But there's always money for golf!). But, if your girlfriend really wants to do this and is offering to pay half, I would seriously consider doing it. She wants this and she has told you so. You'll likely make her happy for doing this, plus it's her birthday. She'll probably talk about this for ages. :)

Upvote 0

mschmitt1217

Original Poster
Is it worth it? IMHO absolutely. I loved it and would do it again in a heartbeat.

However, I could be way off base, but it almost sounds like you are fishing for reasons not to do it. Given that, I doubt it will live up to what you want it to be.
The snarkiness in my original post escaped me until I re-read it. I have to admit the financial fatigue is setting in...but let's be real here Master Yoda...if GF wants to go, we are going! lol...I'm just trying to get a feel for how people liked it and if they thought it was worth it.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The snarkiness in my original post escaped me until I re-read it. I have to admit the financial fatigue is setting in...but let's be real here Master Yoda...if GF wants to go, we are going! lol...I'm just trying to get a feel for how people liked it and if they thought it was worth it.
I can tell you that I loved it. The rope bridges, the being inches away from a 10' drop off into hippos or crocodiles, and the massive amount of still photo time in the savanna was well worth the price of admission.

Upvote 0

mschmitt1217

Original Poster
I heard about that!! Sounds pretty neat, though my GF is afraid of heights. I let her know she's all secure and that eased her mind a bit. How would you compare the amount of animals you see compared to the typical Kilimanjaro Safari?

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I heard about that!! Sounds pretty neat, though my GF is afraid of heights. I let her know she's all secure and that eased her mind a bit. How would you compare the amount of animals you see compared to the typical Kilimanjaro Safari?
The safety gear is pretty extensive. If she can get a little out of her head and trust the gear she will be fine. They also have a "practice bridge" you will go over after suiting up that is only a few feet off the ground.

The number of animals on the savanna is of course finite and KS does a great job at showing you all of them, but you get much more time with them on the trek. On KS you drive through the savanna. Everyting goes by pretty fast. On the trek you park for a while and you also get to spend lunch on an overlook at the top of the savanna.

Upvote 0

mschmitt1217

Original Poster
Yeah the lunch is what makes me feel OK about the whole deal...plus if I understand correctly you get some photos taken as well? When on KS, I've often seen other safari trucks off the "beaten path" if you will with attendees of the tour snapping photos. I wonder if this was the tour we speak of.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yeah the lunch is what makes me feel OK about the whole deal...plus if I understand correctly you get some photos taken as well? When on KS, I've often seen other safari trucks off the "beaten path" if you will with attendees of the tour snapping photos. I wonder if this was the tour we speak of.
They did take photos with us, but we were on travel agent training and I am not 100% that they do that for everyone, but I am pretty sure they do. If I am not mistaken they should be able to put them on a photo pass card.

Those safari trucks off the beaten path were more than likely the trek.

One bit of advice..Everything you bring on the trek must have a strap. Wallet, cell phones, keys, etc must be put in a locker they provide for you. If your cell phone will be your camera, get a case with a strap. If you are using a regular camera make sure it has a strap or you will have to leave it behind.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Absolutely, the tour is expensive by the standards of most people. However, since your girlfriend is offering to pay for herself, then clearly this is a special experience that she genuinely would love to do with you, rather than some wild plan to harvest your wealth. If you have the means, then cough up your half and go along with her. And once you do, do not spend a moment griping about the price, but grab your camera, enjoy the sights, and relish the tour as the once-in-a-lifetime experience that it is. Perhaps you can insist that she wear that expensive dress... ;)

Upvote 0

tink33

It is worth it! My family said it was a once in a lifetime thing since it's not cheap. Our daughter was 9 and the only child on the tour. The tour guides made sure she saw everything and let her lead our group. We don't eat fish or shellfish. We had a different lunch prepared for us. It was delicious!

Upvote 0

stillgoofy

There also might be a discount going on. I booked this for my daughter and I at beginning of May and booking agent actaully volunteered that there was a $50 per person special. This is similar to ones they've had in the past although I've always seen those advertised. This time I have not seen it advertised but we definitely got it. It was $300 for both of us instead of $400. Not sure the dates of the special though.

Upvote 0

mschmitt1217

Original Poster
I think typing out my frustration with the pricing was cathartic as I feel much better regarding it now and am rather excited! :D

BTW my GF's idea of paying for her half is taking the 200 out of the change we both saved (we live together) LOL!!

Upvote 0

mschmitt1217

Original Poster
There also might be a discount going on. I booked this for my daughter and I at beginning of May and booking agent actaully volunteered that there was a $50 per person special. This is similar to ones they've had in the past although I've always seen those advertised. This time I have not seen it advertised but we definitely got it. It was $300 for both of us instead of $400. Not sure the dates of the special though.
Thanks Goof...I'll have to ask about that when I call to reserve a spot. Also, any advice on what time would be good to see the most animals?

Upvote 0

mschmitt1217

Original Poster
Absolutely, the tour is expensive by the standards of most people. However, since your girlfriend is offering to pay for herself, then clearly this is a special experience that she genuinely would love to do with you, rather than some wild plan to harvest your wealth. If you have the means, then cough up your half and go along with her. And once you do, do not spend a moment griping about the price, but grab your camera, enjoy the sights, and relish the tour as the once-in-a-lifetime experience that it is. Perhaps you can insist that she wear that expensive dress... ;)
Weatherlady...that was a beautiful way of wording that. I think the more direct way to put it would be "suck it up, man! You're lady will love it! Don't ruin it either by complaining during the tour!!"

And your point is well taken!

Upvote 0

Chip318

I loved the tour and would do it again! I loved eating in the middle of the Savannah and being able to relax a and take great pictures. Try it!!!

Upvote 0

Betsyboo

They did take photos with us, but we were on travel agent training and I am not 100% that they do that for everyone, but I am pretty sure they do. If I am not mistaken they should be able to put them on a photo pass card.

Those safari trucks off the beaten path were more than likely the trek.

One bit of advice..Everything you bring on the trek must have a strap. Wallet, cell phones, keys, etc must be put in a locker they provide for you. If your cell phone will be your camera, get a case with a strap. If you are using a regular camera make sure it has a strap or you will have to leave it behind.
I'm pretty sure that there is a dedicated photographer on the tour with you, or at least the description of the tour says there will be and for the price, I sure hope so. We're booked for 2/26. I'm looking forward to it.

Upvote 0

mschmitt1217

Original Poster
I'm pretty sure that there is a dedicated photographer on the tour with you, or at least the description of the tour says there will be and for the price, I sure hope so. We're booked for 2/26. I'm looking forward to it.
If you remember Betsy, check back with me after you get back and let me know how it went for you!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom