Why Walt Disney World Needs a 5th Theme Park By 2025

doctornick

We can talk about a 5th gate once they finish (re)building the 3rd and 4th ones. I expect DHS to double in effective size and AK to at least be a quarter bigger.

This. Po4's point -- which makes sense -- is that their needs to be more capacity (and draws) to accommodate millions of more guests annually to maintain WDW's current revenue/profits. That makes sense. But opening up a 5th gate is only one way to accomplish that -- and increasing capacity in the existing parks is certainly another. If MK can accommodate 17-18M guests a year, there's no reason that parks like Epcot and DAK which have more physical space cannot do the same as long as there is enough stuff there to occupy and draw everyone. DHS has a smaller footprint, but with sensible expansion there, it could certainly entertain far more guests than it currently does (at least it could get to the 12-13M a year type level with its current footprint).

Goofnut1980

While a 5th gate would be awesome. I would be happy to have each park complete or a little larger. It would totally spread out people. No one wants to go on a vacation to Disney and because its a 9 out of 10 for being cramped, only get to ride 3-4 attractions. It makes people not want to deal with it. If there is more to do, it eats up people and feels less busy.

Siren

As usual, great post @ParentsOf4! I would love to see a fifth park open in 2025 after the three other parks get more attractions. As for the theme, Disney will not dedicate an entire theme park just for villains. The whole "villains" concept thing is cute for Halloween but it's not a good idea for an entire park or even a land, imo. Disney doesn't even have a villain ride yet, so let's start there -- maybe with Darth Vader or something. With that said, most people would prefer a Luke Skywalker ride or perhaps something with the robots.

Last edited:

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
A back to "Disney" basics style park will be needed very soon. Based on the numbers and the avalanche of projected tourists in the future, it would be foolish not to get started on it. As @ParentsOf4 mentioned, this is outside of the continued redevelopment and new development at the existing parks. The attendance barriers at the 4 current parks will be realized leaving a lot of money on the table. Whatever is built has to be equal to the Magic Kingdom in appeal.

Something broad based with a classical and new entertainment properties. There are plenty of themes that can be utilized and cover a kaleidoscope of demographic appeal. "Heroes and Villains" comes most plainly to mind but there are many others. You can steal from the theme of POP Century hotel and do a decades theme. "Myths and Legends" or even "Storybook" type themes would work.

Ultimately without growth, things tend to stagnate. Stagnation when it becomes institutionalized produces linear thinking and we have all seen the results of that at WDW. Growth can also drive a stock higher and create huge value. I am afraid that despite the signs of growth in tourism, there may be no awareness at TDO or TWDC. I hope I am wrong there.

Anyway, excellent presentation as usual @ParentsOf4 . You are right on top of things as usual.

*1023*

(I have a "Heroes and Villains" pretty well fleshed out and ready to go. 35 attractions including 5 E ticket showstoppers. The only things not finished is the themed shops and a couple of the restaurants. The Park Weenie icon would feature/house the premier H vs V attraction. But hey this isn't the imagineering thread.)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I'd say WDW doesn't need a 5th gate. It needs to maximize it's current gates.

Gates bring with it a host of overarching expenses, ones that can be shared just by expanding more on the current parks they have.

The one thing a new gate with 7-10 rides would bring, as opposed to adding 7-10 rides spread across the 4 other parks (or heck, all to one park) is the fact they could charge another ticket...

No, they need to just expand what they've got, imho.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour

Gates bring with it a host of overarching expenses, ones that can be shared just by expanding more on the current parks they have.

The one thing a new gate with 7-10 rides would bring, as opposed to adding 7-10 rides spread across the 4 other parks (or heck, all to one park) is the fact they could charge another ticket...

Why would you open a park with 7 to 10 rides? Magic Kingdom opened with 23 attractions. Tokyo Disneyland opened with 25 I think. They most likely learned their lesson with MGM and AK for opening day attraction count since California Adventure opened with 13 attractions.

If you read the posts, no one says stop developing for the existing parks. In fact, they need to keep developing/redeveloping the existing offerings. In order for your family and mine to not be standing shoulder to shoulder in every square meter of the parks in 2025, they need to add another gate to spread out the tourists. The also need to continue fleshing out the existing parks.

*1023*

Goofyernmost

Why would you open a park with 7 to 10 rides? Magic Kingdom opened with 23 attractions. Tokyo Disneyland opened with 25 I think. They most likely learned their lesson with MGM and AK for opening day attraction count since California Adventure opened with 13 attractions.

If you read the posts, no one says stop developing for the existing parks. In fact, they need to keep developing/redeveloping the existing offerings. In order for your family and mine to not be standing shoulder to shoulder in every square meter of the parks in 2025, they need to add another gate to spread out the tourists. The also need to continue fleshing out the existing parks.

*1023*
I really have no need to be involved in this discussion because by 2025 I will be 77 years old and will consider myself lucky if I'm still standing at all.:grumpy::joyfull:

Last edited:

Magenta Panther

I think Parentsof4 made some good points - very good points - but I agree with you. We need more attractions in the lands we have - especially Magic Kingdom. More rides and shows in Fantasyland, especially - a Villains ride, a Frozen Ice Palace, a Mickey Mouse ride (with killer AAs), a majorly plussed Peter Pan's Flight and a Mary Poppins ride- so many possibilities. And Adventureland really needs help. I'd vote for more Pirates stuff and maybe a Sleepy Hollow ride. And of course DHS needs more, although apparently there are indeed plans to add more (mostly off-studio IPs, unfortunately, but oh well). But getting back to Fantasyland - is there room for any major expansion? It looks pretty crowded as it is, but I'm no expert on what's available out there, unlike some people here.

Donald Razorduck

I was somewhat bummed with the redevelopment of Downtown Disney. Knowing the relationship with Landry's and their themed restaurants I was thinking they may have added rides like Landry's stand alone Kemah Boardwalk and Galveston Pleasure Pier. Guess there would simply be too many people for the area to handle.

I've thought Star Wars could be an amazing stand alone park but just a section of an existing park is a bit of a let down.I think the same with Marvel but that would have to be west of the Mississippi. How bout Part of a new resort between Houston and San Antonio. Lots of airport options including internation. Texas is booming population wise and would have a healthy draw just from Texans.

I hate the bleed over from movies into Epcot. It really devalues the purpose and I think plenty of attraction possibilities exist without character branding attached. I'd like to see WDW stay true to the Classics and Studio used for Pixar and newer franchises like Frozen.

I wonder what Disney has planned for Indy. Always thought Indy would go well in AK with multiple attractions based of the exotic locations in the movies. More Animals? As much as Disney uses China for goods and new parks, why not Pandas?

So I read Universal is building another moderate resort, pulling permits for what appears to be a new waterpark. If that's true, makes you wonder if Wet and Wild is the 3rd gate location and they seem to be steamrolling along over there.

I hope Seaworld pulls off their expansion plans with the larger habitats.

I haven't been to WDW since the late 80s when I was 15. I'm 41 and we are taking our kids of 12 and 11 for the first time in Feb. While research hang and putting together this trip, we concluded that Orlando would be two trips. Disney this time around witb a side trip to Legoland and Universal and SeaWorld the next with the possibility of a 3 day Disney Cruise as the bookend. I don't see us going for a Disney exclusive trip again. I figure we'lol buy a park hopper ticket and hit new attractions that have come online since the last as long as they appeal to our growing kids. A new park may get two days out of us. We'd like to hit Disneyland up but that's just a 3 day weekend fly out to the coast.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Thanks for all the replies. However, since it appears I did not make my point clearly, I'll try again.

Quoting from my original post:

With the Magic Kingdom’s (MK) hub redesign and new bus terminal, a third track at Toy Story Mania (TSM), and a third theater at Soarin’ in the planning phases, Disney is taking the right steps to alleviate WDW overcrowding.

More is needed.

WDW attendance is up 10 million since Disney’s Animal Kingdom (DAK) opened in 1998 and can be expected to grow further once new lands are unveiled in DAK and Disney’s Hollywood Studios (DHS). WDW needs new attractions, new lands, and (gasp) perhaps even a 5th Gate to handle the increased attendance.​

And also:

New lands at DAK and DHS will help but they are not enough. If Disney wants to sustain WDW’s long-term average annual attendance increase of 2% (and its associated operating income growth), then Disney needs to take steps to make sure there is capacity for another 10 million gate clicks by 2024.​

Adding new lands and attractions at DAK, DHS, and Epcot are only an intermediate step. They will add capacity but they also will draw more to WDW.

If you think WDW feels crowded now, just imagine how crowded it will feel when both Pandora and Star Wars Land open, each adding one or two high-capacity attractions but also drawing millions more to Orlando.

I remember visiting WDW during the offseason when attractions such as Space Mountain had no more than 20-minute waits during the peak time of day.

Today's WDW feels crowded for nearly the entire year. "Slow seasons" (there used to be more than one) are a thing of the past.

Just imagine what WDW could feel like with another 11 million turnstile clicks in 2025, which is how many have been added since 2003.

Given WDW's and Orlando's long-term tourism trends, adding a few more lands to existing theme parks are not going to be enough in a decade.

In addition to Pandora and Star Wars Land and Toy Story Playland and new attractions at Epcot, Disney needs to earnestly begin the process of planning for the mid-2020s and beyond. As things work within today's corporate Disney, these modest-sized additions are going to take years to complete.

An entirely new theme park will take longer.

It's not merely the park itself. It's also the infrastructure, including the effect it will have on existing hotels.

By 2024, it will have been over a quarter-of-a-century since WDW's last major addition. Unless, Disney starts planning for WDW's long-term future, WDW will reach a point by the mid-2020s that it will no longer be able to significantly contribute to operating income growth.

With WDW already contributing so much to company revenue, Disney needs to position WDW so that its contribution will continue to grow.

Disney had two blockbusters in 2014 yet Studio Entertainment still generated less revenue than WDW. Studio Entertainment revenue was up 22% last year yet it still trailed WDW.

WDW is a source of tremendous revenue and operating income for the company. Corporate Disney needs to keep it that way. After more than 15 years of relatively little physical growth, Disney once again needs to turn its attention back towards Orlando.

In a dozen years, Pandora and Star Wars Land and Toy Story Playland and new attractions at Epcot are not going to be enough.

WDW needs more.

By the middle of the next decade, WDW will need a 5th theme park.

In total agreement. In the 1980s, before Eisner's plans took off, the ONLY thing keeping TWDC afloat were the theme parks, primarily WDW. Sony was seriously considering purchasing TWDC. Touchstone was in part a response to the "family only entertainment" mantra of the Walt days. Remember, for several years, Disney wouldn't admit Touchstone was Disney. And in spite of the success of Frozen and Marvel, it is apparent based on Po4's analysis of Disney's financials, that the majority of the revenues (and thus shareholder profits) are from the Parks.

Personally, I don't want to visit any tourist attraction the size of the Magic Kingdom that has 50,000 - 60,000 visitors EACH DAY. Would you? Imagine the PM costs to maintain a facility with that volume of visitors. With 15-18 hour days.

Disney needs to look long term, not the typical 1-3 years the Wall Street boys (and stockholders) like. Which means serious discussions and planning need to start NOW for a 5th gate. Yes, EPCOT, DHS and DAK need to see their proposed refurbishments finalized and completed. But corporate (and will include the BOD) must start having discussions about utilizing the remaining acres not permanently set aside for environmental conservation - whether it's expanding the boundaries of existing parks or adding a 5th gate (I would do both). And until room occupancy rates justify constructing more rooms, Disney needs to stop. Over Thanksgiving, I ran into many folks at GS asking what the band around my wrist was for. Which told me that more and more people are deciding to stay off property. And are willing to give up Disney transportation (or have figured out a way to use it) and EMH. To have cheaper and nicer rooms when compared to the Values, especially.

Oh, and to the poster who mentioned that Disney is converting regular rooms at Wilderness to DVC, that is not correct. I am a DVC member and WL is my home resort and I would know if that was happening, because some how I would be paying for it. Me and all other members at WL have been paying for the pool refurbishment and the recent upgrades to the Villa rooms.

Thanks Po4 for a great post! Perhaps you should pass your analysis on to Glendale. They have an opening coming up. ;)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Welp, since this is the only 5th Gate thread that is about facts and figures and not wish fulfillment or armchair park-building, I thought I'd resurrect it and update it to be a place to point people to when they have questions about 5th-Gate-ism...

Let's start with our OP's WDW Annual Attendance Per Theme Park chart post elsewhere and let's put it in a sane thread rather than some other overly-'spirited' thread...

1530127139840.png

Please note that this chart takes total attendance by year and divides it by the number of parks (4 currently) to get an idea of how many people are in each of the parks if they spread themselves around evenly and not all glommed into MK.

JohnD

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Here's @ParentsOf4 's graph of Growth Capex. "Growth Capex" is taking total Capital Expenditure and then subtracting out depreciation so as to get a ball park figure on what was spent on new stuff rather that replace and/or repair...

1530127645990.png

And here's the break down of Total Capex v. Growth Capex v. Profit (Operating Revenue, which is Revenue minus Expenses)

1530127837860.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom