Why the Haunted Mansion Is In Fantasyland

mharrington

Original Poster
I read several spots where people didn't think the Haunted Mansion fit the theme of Fantasyland, which is the location of this attraction in Tokyo. But I'm going to try and put that rumor to rest, courtesy of Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies. Here is a somewhat edited version of the story:

When Tokyo Disneyland was thought up, the Imagineers knew that the Haunted Mansion would be one of the attractions making the trip to the Land of the Rising Sun. As with California and Florida, the main challenge was location. There would be no New Orleans Square in Tokyo (even though elements of it were used for Pirates and some restaurants and shops in Adventureland) nor a Liberty Square (thought to be a solely American experience). Next, the attraction was turned away from Westernland and World Bazaar (Tokyo's versions of Frontierland and Main Street, respectively).

At last, the Imagineers found the answer to their problems in Japanese culture, which categorized ghost stories as examples of fairy tales or fables. And in Disney parks, there was but one location for fairy tales and fables: Fantasyland! So that was where the Mansion was put in Tokyo.

Now, the reason why the TDL mansion has the WDW exterior was that it would have a European feel to it, starting with the Cinderella Castle. Florida's mansion, too, had a European flavor because of the architectural tastes that the English and Dutch settlers brought with them when they came to the New World. Plus, WDW's mansion looked natural from the Rivers of America. Imagineers thought it would build a good thematic bridge between Westerland and Fantasyland. So now the Japanese mansion went Dutch Gothic just like WDW.

However, though Japan's version is a direct lift of Florida, there were two things Imagineers added to the Japanese mansion to help it blend in with Fantasyland: a pair of griffin statues perched at the mansion's main gate.

darthjohnny

I've wondered that too. I have no idea though. I guess because their version isn't like the Phantom Manor, therefore, it couldn't go in their Westernland.

Tokyo also doesn't know what Liberty Square or New Orleans Square is all about. And Adventureland and Tommorrowland wouldn't fit at all. So I guess the best place is Fantasyland. :)

FigmentJedi

Only trouble with Tokyo's mansion is that it doesn't use any familiar Japanese supernatural creatures in it. Fine examples that would fit into the Mansion would be the wide variety of Yokai. Yokai come in all shapes and sizes ranging from animals and demonic spirits to household objects(most notably an umbrella with one eye and a long tongue). Household object Yokai would fit REEALLY nice into the earlier parts of the ride. Another ghost story that could work in the mansion would be the tale of the Yuki-Onna, a female ice ghost that inhabits the mountains luring men to their doom with her beauty.

Epcot82Guy

If you were to look at my updates for the non-WDW Disney parks , you will note that one of the updates for Tokyo Disneyland will be to interweave a loose story about Yuki-Onna and some men who were killed at her hands.

That sounds great! I really wish the 3 "Mansions" would get some individual storyline elements (although I don't want a story line woven throughout the whole thing like POTC has now). Phantom Manor has some wonderful elements that make it unique. Why not the other Mansions? I think Constance at DL makes for a unique approach. Let's get something going on the East US Coast and Japan in a similar way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom