Why isn't the talking skull at POTC anymore?

TheBeatles

Original Poster
Why did Disney take out the talking skull that used to be right before the drop on Pirates of the Caribbean?

kadesha

Are you talking about Davy Jones in the fog? It works sometimes and sometimes it just doesn't. Usually when I go, in the span of a week, it will be working sometimes and it won't sometimes.

Craig & Lisa

Well, I for one do not really miss it, besides I couldn't hear it till I was almost right under neath it, which is just as soon as we go down the falls.

Jasonflz

Are you talking about Davy Jones in the fog? It works sometimes and sometimes it just doesn't. Usually when I go, in the span of a week, it will be working sometimes and it won't sometimes.

I think he meant the talking skull that appeared in the ride before the refurb. I really don't know why it was removed. Probably for better atmosphere and the fact that it would seem pathetic right after the really cool Davy Jones projection.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
At first I missed it, but it took focus away a bit from the really cool skeleton steering the wrecked ship next to it

goodtimes5286

no pic, but just before the drop, as you go into the area with a lil beach, a dead dude with a sword through him, and a crab on the beach. the skull is above you telling you not to go that way.

i felt the same way, why get rid of it? the room is so boring without his voice, you hear davy jones and then you should hear the skull, drop, then cannon balls! There was no reason to get rid of it, and when i mensioned it 2 my dad he didnt even remember!

...now im depressed, they're ruining disney.....:(

disneydata

Imagineering didn't like it. They said it didn't fit where it was and they didn't like the spiel.

Safety said it needed to be there since it spieled safety info about the drop.

Guess who won that battle?

T-1MILLION

Imagineering didn't like it. They said it didn't fit where it was and they didn't like the spiel.

The Bean Counters and uncreative minds who could not come up with something fitting and entertaining that fit the theme perfectly like Disneyland has had for years.

"Avast there maties, there be squalls ahead"

Just like the Frees and other voices material was was taken out of the area right after the drop, with the ghostly voices letting you know you were warned about the cursed areas and treasures. "Properly warned ye be says I"

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

I would have to agree with imagineering on this one. The talking skull at best seemed like a good way to deliver a safety spiel and did not really add to the story. I for one don't miss it a bit.

TheBeatles

Original Poster
I really liked it.

In my mind it gave the impression that something terrible was going to happen if the boat continued in the darkness.

I thought it was a good transition into the drop.

WDWRLD

On my last trip it looked as if it might still be there just turned off and unlit now. At night when your eyer are really focused for the dark it almost looks as if the shape of the face is still there but just to dark to see. I guess a flash picture could clear up that question.....but that would just ruin the mystery......

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom