Why is running at Disney so popular?

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
A couple of abstracts on PubMed say that there is no significant relationship between running and knee problems...:)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18483739
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2556152/

Yeah, we could trade articles back and forth on this topic. There were plenty of Sports Doc's that supported coaches decisions to let football players continue to play with a concussion saying it OK and we see where that theory landed some of those athletes. I'm not a big fan of the Lance Armstrong Doc's either. I look at so many runners in the marathons at Disney with all sorts of apparatuses on their limbs so they can make the distance.
It makes my head spin. I get a good workout on my bike and in the pool during the summer, heart rate up less impact on the joints.

Ariel484

Yeah, we could trade articles back and forth on this topic. There were plenty of Sports Doc's that supported coaches decisions to let football players continue to play with a concussion saying it OK and we see where that theory landed some of those athletes. I'm not a big fan of the Lance Armstrong Doc's either. I look at so many runners in the marathons at Disney with all sorts of apparatuses on their limbs so they can make the distance.
It makes my head spin. I get a good workout on my bike and in the pool during the summer, heart rate up less impact on the joints.

1. No one is saying biking and swimming aren't good workouts...if I had time I would do both in addition to running.
2. Comparing runners to football docs or Lance Armstrong's docs - a corrupt group, you have to admit - seems far-fetched to me.
3. Unfortunately a lot of people that run at Disney pick those races - the marathon or half marathon - as their first race EVER. I read a lot about over-training in these new runners and then they get injured. This doesn't apply to all runners.

Not trying to start an argument, and this will be my last post on this anyway because clearly you have your mind made up. I'm sorry about what happened to your dad and I am sure his docs were right that running did cause his knee problems...but not all people are alike.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Not trying to start an argument, and this will be my last post on this anyway because clearly you have your mind made up. I'm sorry about what happened to your dad and I am sure his docs were right that running did cause his knee problems...but not all people are alike.

:) I think we are in the same mind set both of our minds are made up which is a fine place to be. I agree not all people are alike and I don't believe all doc's are alike either.

Dagger

So I read the OP's post, then I read the last couple posts and I'm wondering how it got so derailed.......but not enough so to read the 5 pages in between....lol

OP - don't you like to combine things you love? :p

JillC LI

Study results just released. Thought some might find them of interest:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23377837
The first major finding was that runners have roughly half the risk of osteoarthritis (OA) and hip replacement (HR) as walkers, and that more mileage reduced the rates of OA and HR even more, likely through lower BMI, but contrary to common belief. Interestingly, extra hours of non-running exercises increased the rates of OA and HR where running had reduced them. The Conclusion: “Whereas other exercise increased OA and hip replacement risk, running significantly reduced their risk due, in part, to running’s association with lower BMI.”

Ariel484

Study results just released. Thought some might find them of interest:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23377837
The first major finding was that runners have roughly half the risk of osteoarthritis (OA) and hip replacement (HR) as walkers, and that more mileage reduced the rates of OA and HR even more, likely through lower BMI, but contrary to common belief. Interestingly, extra hours of non-running exercises increased the rates of OA and HR where running had reduced them. The Conclusion: “Whereas other exercise increased OA and hip replacement risk, running significantly reduced their risk due, in part, to running’s association with lower BMI.”
Wow...that's a huge study! Really interesting stuff, thanks for posting. :)

Texas84

It's funny, the first few years of distance running I've had one knee get week on me and went through some moderate hip pain. After 3 years of running it's all gone! No pain anywhere for a long time. Probably over a year.

Mr mom

It's funny, the first few years of distance running I've had one knee get week on me and went through some moderate hip pain. After 3 years of running it's all gone! No pain anywhere for a long time. Probably over a year.

Had a similar experience, my knee and back used to really bother me, now no pain or limping.

epcotisbest

Original Poster
So I read the OP's post, then I read the last couple posts and I'm wondering how it got so derailed.......but not enough so to read the 5 pages in between....lol

OP - don't you like to combine things you love? :p
Yes, for example...shrimp and grits.

Anyway, I just don't get the popularity of running at Disney. Seems there are so many other, better things to do. Of course I don't get running for pleasure either.

Back in 2011 my mother planned on us all going down to Disney World during the week of the marathon so I could run in it, and afterwards go to the attractions. Now looking back and not being much of a runner anymore, I regret not taking her up on that offer since it would have been quite interesting to see Disney-related things while running for 2 1/2 hours straight.

RunnerFool

This might have already been said, but Disney is a great place for one to do their first "big race". Other, more serious runners consider a Disney run, excuse my language, stupid. Why pay almost $200 for a race with 25,000 people, with no compeitition, and you have to sit around in corrals forever. My aunt - she's run 10+ marathons and countless halfs - has no intrest to run in Disney; she believes the price is too steep and she'd rather spend that $200 on 5 or 6 other races. My mom, on the other hand, has run 2 halfs, and she refuses to run in other places. So, long story short, running in Disney is for runners that aren't at the level to run other places lol. Disney runs are very first time racers friendly as everyone "wins" (gets a medal); plus, no hills, water stops every mile and a half, and free gels.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom