Why is running at Disney so popular?

wsmith1978

I completely agree with what you all are saying. The treadmill is DREADFULLY boring. I usually put it on a 1 or 1.5 incline and crank up the iPod... The boredom makes it much harder, I think, because when you're running outside you can focus on so many other things other than just the run itself... but on the treadmill, you think about every step you're taking and you feel it more, and I actually psyche myself into tiring out prematurely. It sucks LOL

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Awesome advice! Thanks!!
Listen to Jill. She isnt the fastest, doesnt run the longest, but I trust her opinion and level headed thinking over mine any day.
Quick question... When it's too cold to run outside do you run on a treadmill? If so, do you find that to be easier or more difficult than outside? Do you run the same distance and do you change any settings such as incline?
I run outside. Period. I never take it indoors for any reason. I guess my excuse is that I tell myself, "Self, you cant control the weather on race day, so you might as well be skilled in all types". If it is pouring rain, I might try and wait it out, but I would rather not run then run on a treadmill. And that is blasphemy (not running).

There is no medical do/dont run outdoors at this or that degree, so just find what you are comfortable with and go with it. Some people like the indoors during winter, and some like to punish themselves with the cold and love it. :D

JillC LI

Quick question... When it's too cold to run outside do you run on a treadmill? If so, do you find that to be easier or more difficult than outside? Do you run the same distance and do you change any settings such as incline?

Cold does not make me use the treadmill, ice does. I run with about a 2% incline but like others have said I avoid the treadmill like the plague, I cannot stand it. After 10 minutes boredom becomes intolerable and considering my short runs are usually about an hour, it kills me.

I use the treadmill either due to icy ground conditions or due to lack of child care (the treadmill is in my basement). I have a love-hate relationshup with it. I would much prefer to run outdoors, but I am grateful that I have it to keep up my running regime consistently. I would prefer to run outdoors in cold than heat. You have to learn to dress properly for the cold, and then it does not bother you (at least after the first mile). The treadmill is easier on my legs but harder on my mental tolerance. After 45 minutes I start going a little nuts, even with the TV on. I try to mix it up on the TM to keep my interest, with speedwork or hillwork, but sometimes I'll just do straight mileage at an easy pace. Given the choice, I'd choose to run outdoors any time.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
The only way I would be a runner is if someone is chasing me with a stick...and it would have to be a really big stick.

Clear throat...Oh you took the words right out of my mouth...Seemed fitting to add a bit of Meatload into the conversation. :)

JillC LI

Clear throat...Oh you took the words right out of my mouth...Seemed fitting to add a bit of Meatload into the conversation. :)

I would have said the same thing when I was younger (about only running if someone were chasing me with a big stick). I didn't start running until my mid-20s, and I certainly never expected to still be doing it - and enjoying it - 18 years later. Now I pray I am able to do it for the rest of my days. Never say never!

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I would have said the same thing when I was younger (about only running if someone were chasing me with a big stick). I didn't start running until my mid-20s, and I certainly never expected to still be doing it - and enjoying it - 18 years later. Now I pray I am able to do it for the rest of my days. Never say never!

I'm an avid walker and bicyclist. My Dad ran Boston at 67, a marathoner for years. He loved it. Quit when it was too late, wore out a knee, a hip and pounded out his feet. Now he walks like he was run over by a steamroller and rides often in an electric cart to get around. Can't say the Doc's didn't warn him.

So likely after watching him in the aftermath, I'll stick to my bike. With my luck I'll fall of the dang thing, break a hip then Dad and I will have matching scooters. :rolleyes: No good plans goes unpunished.

Runnin'Gator

When I lived in an apartment and had access to a treadmill I would normally use it when a game was on and I could keep my mind active. Otherwise I think it's easier to run outside, specifically an out and back. If you run out, you eventually have to run/walk/crawl back. I had issues running in cold weather for years because my lungs would freeze up... I am from Florida... but I've gotten used to colder weather at this point.

JillC LI

I've been reading, but kept from posting. My advice will only get you seriously injured or killed. Just listen to @JillC LI.
Run hard.

Thanks Nick.

How do we subscribe to your newsletter? :D

LOL!

I'm an avid walker and bicyclist. My Dad ran Boston at 67, a marathoner for years. He loved it. Quit when it was too late, wore out a knee, a hip and pounded out his feet. Now he walks like he was run over by a steamroller and rides often in an electric cart to get around. Can't say the Doc's didn't warn him.

So likely after watching him in the aftermath, I'll stick to my bike. With my luck I'll fall of the dang thing, break a hip then Dad and I will have matching scooters. :rolleyes: No good plans goes unpunished.

Not to start a debate, but check out the following:
http://www.janetober.com/2011/04/25/monday-myths-%E2%80%94-does-running-hurt-your-knees/
http://www.runnersworld.com/fun/no-running-does-not-ruin-your-knees

joel_maxwell

I wouldn't really expect an editor of a running magazine to say running ruins your knees. lol
Same concept as cigarette companies putting warning labels on packaging. It doesnt stop anyone. I use to smoke knowing the dangers. I run knowing my knees maybe shot later. Him saying that wont make 1 person stop the sport. If they did due to his comments, they weren't really a runner to start with (by definition).

dreamfinder

Hated running growing up. Then one day I got upset during a phone call while on vacation. Hopped on the treadmill for some reason to work it out, and decided I suddenly liked it. The rest is history

Same concept as cigarette companies putting warning labels on packaging. It doesnt stop anyone. I use to smoke knowing the dangers. I run knowing my knees maybe shot later. Him saying that wont make 1 person stop the sport. If they did due to his comments, they weren't really a runner to start with (by definition).

Played soccer for 16 years growing up, been skiing since I could walk, running is the least of my worries when it comes to my knees. And if anything, from strength training/rehab for running my knees seem better than ever.

joel_maxwell

Hated running growing up. Then one day I got upset during a phone call while on vacation. Hopped on the treadmill for some reason to work it out, and decided I suddenly liked it. The rest is history

Played soccer for 16 years growing up, been skiing since I could walk, running is the least of my worries when it comes to my knees. And if anything, from strength training/rehab for running my knees seem better than ever.
Skiing, now that is a risky sport for your knees. One wrong move on snow or water, that force can tear it up in a second.

Mr mom

never hurt my knees sking but I did break my thumb. I played soccer in high school and my knee suffered for it. When I got older it actually got worse as I gained weight. Started running and lost weight, knee pain actually decreased. A doctor who is also a runner told me that learning to run properly helped but also building up other muscles put less strain on my knee. He said it won't be gone forever but it has actually bought me more years. Same with my back, bad injury a number of years ago, the weight training and running means it goes out a lot less frequently. Unfortunately big injuries to joints and your back tend to be forever.

JillC LI

I wouldn't really expect an editor of a running magazine to say running ruins your knees. lol

One of the articles isn't by a running magazine.

Im in.

The Machine Chronicles has a ring to it. Want me to get that url purchased and get a blog site design started?

LOL, cute name but I think that one belongs to Nick. I'm no machine! Perhaps something simpler like Running for Everyday Folks? :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom