Why is running at Disney so popular?

a2grafix

For me, why have I decided to run races at Disney World and soon to be at Disneyland? What others have said - running through the scenery of the parks, getting to see some things you don't really see (race routes), and how Disney coordinates race events. The bling is pretty nice, but there is more to it than the bling.

Never thought I would run on Disney property, but I'm hooked. I'm planning to run 2 halves in 2013: one at Disneyland and the other at Disney World.

bethram

There's nothing like running through the castle!

Disney definitely puts together a good race. I'm trying to figure out when I can run another one.

wsmith1978

Well....a few things:

4: The bling....oh the bling.....

701989_537621469590804_616766006_o.jpg

These are awesome!!! I hope to be able to do one of these runs someday. I'm not quite up to 13 miles, more like 10, but getting there slowly! Now, if I could just do something about this pesky back pain that's accompanying this new-found love of running! :(

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
These are awesome!!! I hope to be able to do one of these runs someday. I'm not quite up to 13 miles, more like 10, but getting there slowly! Now, if I could just do something about this pesky back pain that's accompanying this new-found love of running! :(
If you can do 10, then 11 is there, then you can do 12 so on and so forth.

Look up some back exercises and start to work them into your daily routine while watching TV or something.

Mr mom

If you can do 10, then 11 is there, then you can do 12 so on and so forth.

Look up some back exercises and start to work them into your daily routine while watching TV or something.

I agree and running and walking will also strengthen your back on their own. Takes time but keep trucking the pain will go away.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I agree and running and walking will also strengthen your back on their own. Takes time but keep trucking the pain will go away.
I have to consciously remind myself on runs longer than 13 to not lose my posture when I get tired. I will start to push my shoulders back and put the strain of my lower back instead of balanced between my abs and back. Really makes me mad I do it, but at least I know I do it and correct it.

Ariel484

I had back problems before I started running and I find that running really helps - loosens up my back or something. Make sure you have good shoes and work on your core strength...that will help a lot. :)

wsmith1978

Well, that begs the question, what is the proper posture for running, and what are some good running shoes?

To give a little background, I started a diet last March, I weighed 303lbs. I'm down to 195 now, thanks mostly to exercise (and healthier eating, of course). An integral part of that exercise routine has been running, which I started doing last June and has increased from almost nothing to about 10 miles, twice a week. The other days, I go to the gym and do the elliptical and weight lifting. I didn't do any research when I started running because I figured I'd never do more than a few miles at a time... But now, as I approach 10+ miles (8-1/2 mins per mile) per run without stopping, I consider myself "a runner", more than just "someone who runs". Does that make sense? I don't want to get too far off topic and turn this into advice about running, but if I could get a couple quick suggestions, I sure would appreciate it! :)

P.S. I currently run in an old pair of Nike's that I bought for everyday use.

Mr mom

Well, that begs the question, what is the proper posture for running, and what are some good running shoes?

To give a little background, I started a diet last March, I weighed 303lbs. I'm down to 195 now, thanks mostly to exercise (and healthier eating, of course). An integral part of that exercise routine has been running, which I started doing last June and has increased from almost nothing to about 10 miles, twice a week. The other days, I go to the gym and do the elliptical and weight lifting. I didn't do any research when I started running because I figured I'd never do more than a few miles at a time... But now, as I approach 10+ miles (8-1/2 mins per mile) per run without stopping, I consider myself "a runner", more than just "someone who runs". Does that make sense? I don't want to get too far off topic and turn this into advice about running, but if I could get a couple quick suggestions, I sure would appreciate it! :)

Get better shoes, eventually you will end up with hip/knee/ankle and foot problems etc. The body can take a lot before you notice you are killing it. The damage may not show for a while but it will. Good sneakers designed with your running in mind will help improve your body positioning for running and what I call flow. You should feel your foot just roll out of each stride, that is what I look for anyway. It could also be part of your back problems. A proper sneaker helps keep your body in good alignment as well as helping you to do more distance etc. Never underestimate the power of a decent shoe.

Ariel484

First of all, congrats on the weight loss! That is awesome. :)

I'm confused about your weekly schedule...you do two 10-mile runs per week, or did I read that incorrectly?

I'd suggest going to a running store - not D-I-C-K-S or some other general sports store, a RUNNING STORE - to get fitted for new shoes and use these shoes for running ONLY. Keep track of the mileage...you should be able to get 350-500 miles out of your shoes. That should make a huge difference.

And for the record...in my opinion if you get out of the door and put one foot in front of the other, you're a runner. Doesn't matter how slow, how fast, how short or how long you go...if you run, you're a runner. :)

wsmith1978

Thank you!

To clarify, yes, I two 10-mile runs per week.

And I didn't mean to insinuate that someone who doesn't run fast or far isn't a runner, I just mean that I take it a lot more seriously now :)

dreamfinder

Get better shoes, eventually you will end up with hip/knee/ankle and foot problems etc. The body can take a lot before you notice you are killing it. The damage may not show for a while but it will. Good sneakers designed with your running in mind will help improve your body positioning for running and what I call flow. You should feel your foot just roll out of each stride, that is what I look for anyway. It could also be part of your back problems. A proper sneaker helps keep your body in good alignment as well as helping you to do more distance etc. Never underestimate the power of a decent shoe.
I'd suggest going to a running store - not D-I-C-K-S or some other general sports store, a RUNNING STORE - to get fitted for new shoes and use these shoes for running ONLY. Keep track of the mileage...you should be able to get 350-500 miles out of your shoes. That should make a huge difference.

And for the record...in my opinion if you get out of the door and put one foot in front of the other, you're a runner. Doesn't matter how slow, how fast, how short or how long you go...if you run, you're a runner. :)

Ditto. Doesn't matter how fast or how far you go, moving your feet faster than a walk = running, so you are a runner.

Get good running shoes. Don't rely solely on suggestions for brands, styles, whatever. You can take them as a starting point, ditto for "Shoe of the year" type awards from the magazines, but explore the options they have. Everyone will have their own brand/model that works for their feet, gait, and body type. A good running store will let you take the shoes for a spin, either around the block, or on a treadmill in store. And most will take them back for up to 30 days if they don't work out. When buying, they should do things like watch you walk or run, ask you about distances & terrain you run on, and even just look at your current shoes. All of the above can help them to figure out if you need a neutral shoe, one for someone who over pronates, one with massive amounts of padding (looking at @Donald Duck and his Hokas), if you need inserts, etc. I've had times where I tried on a dozen styles before finding one that felt right, and I've had other times where the first one I tried on was it. Don't be afraid to say no if the shoe just feels off. A tight spot now could lead to some awesome blisters later.

JillC LI

Congrats on the weight loss! I have two suggestions if you want to increase your mileage:

1 - Get new running shoes properly suited to your running style (go to a good running store for help).

2 - Instead of doing two 10-mile runs per week, maybe do 2 or 3 shorter runs on the weekdays and do your long run on the weekend. You can gradually build up your mileage both overall for the week and for your long run. That's how most marathon training programs do it, and they all suggest not increasing either your total mileage or your long run mileage by more than 10% per week. If you can do 10 miles, you could be up at 13 miles in under a month.
Good luck!

wsmith1978

Quick question... When it's too cold to run outside do you run on a treadmill? If so, do you find that to be easier or more difficult than outside? Do you run the same distance and do you change any settings such as incline?

Ariel484

Quick question... When it's too cold to run outside do you run on a treadmill? If so, do you find that to be easier or more difficult than outside? Do you run the same distance and do you change any settings such as incline?
I try to avoid the treadmill at all costs...if there's ice, lightning, etc. then I will go inside. I have heard treadmill runners should run at a 1-1.5% incline but normally do not worry about it because I do so little treadmill running. I find running on the treadmill more difficult because it's BORING. :)

imagination30

i find it easier to run in the cold , it helps my lungs .. compared to Hot dipiing wet with sweat runs.. , but advice if you run out in the cold , get some tights and some layer clothing .. this topic is discussed on here some where.. thanks to joel, but tredmill for me is when it pouring out side.. and sometimes when i run on the tredmill .. i cut my mile down somewhat .. depend on what mood im in.. and if im feeling it or not!

Mr mom

Cold does not make me use the treadmill, ice does. I run with about a 2% incline but like others have said I avoid the treadmill like the plague, I cannot stand it. After 10 minutes boredom becomes intolerable and considering my short runs are usually about an hour, it kills me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom