Why I think The Great Movie Ride Will Close

Would You Be Happy To See The Great Movie Ride Go?

• yes

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • no

Votes: 125 85.0%

• Total voters

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
I heard mass rumors about it but I believe it was just a rumor. And Disney ended up closing Fox Animation Studios (by releasing Fantasia 2000 the same time as Titan A.E. which bombed), so I wouldn't think they would be in the talks about anything right now.

RogueHabit

Whilst I do love the GMR, it is beginning to look a little dated.

Someone mentioned an Indiana Jones ride, this to me seems unlikely as MGM already has one Indy attraction in the Stunt Show, as this was fully refurbed last year I can't see them closing that down, jusxt as I can't see them having multiple attractions themed around one character/film series.

Tapestry2000

Originally posted by Tramp

I noticed a lack of enthusiasm BIG TIME with the CMs. In fact, they were kiddingly arguing about who was gonna take the next ride and do the acting. There was a distinct tone of BOREDOM in their voices, something unheard of in my previous visits. Someone, somewhere within the organization is slacking off.

Tell me about it....

*in a dull monotone voice* Snakes...why did it have to be snakes?

I remember a few years ago when I went on it, the CM's were much more animated and much more in to it. :eek:

<SRH>

Re: Re: Why I think The Great Movie Ride Will Close

Originally posted by MrPromey

B.T.W., another think I wish they would update on this ride is the sound system in the theatre at the end. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the newer stadium theatres with all digital sound but the sound in that final movie, area seems kind of weak to me...

I agree, I like the movie but is is old and the sound is bad. I did notice though on the clips for Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark that the sound is a lot louder and crystal clear.

Mattore

A few notes...

First, on the ride not having been changed at all since day 1. Not true. Yes, the finale film has been updated several times to include newer films. But, the ENTIRE SPIEL for the ride has also changed, and is now in its 3rd version since the ride orginally opened. Prior to the current, rather serious spiel, was a more wacky, Jungle-Cruiseish spiel with lines such as (in the mummy scene) "Don't worry folks, they're only dangerous when their eyes glow red." (Hmmm.. are all their eyes red?) In addition, the entire lighting schemes for the ride have changed multiple times, the last time being VERY recent, and other changed have been made as well, including changed to the ride system itself.

Secondly, on it 'having' the be changed if it becomes the "Disney Studios" and drops the MGM name. Also not true. First off, the rights to each movie in the ride were purchased individually and seperately for the ride. You will notice that not all the movies you see are Disney or MGM. In fact, there are even *Universal* movies in the finale film. The MGM name could be dropped, and the movies could all be kept, without a legal problem arising.

Now, this doesn't mean that nothing will happen. Perhaps the ride will be closed next week. You never know. But I think this ride is over-targeted by people looking for the 'new ride to close' rumors.

markymark

There has been talk about GMR clsing for ages now. Whilst I live the ride, I agree that you have to have a good CM, and as people have been saying, recently they haven't been that good.

I would hate the ride to close but I get the feeling that it is inevitable. I am sure in some way or another, it will be changed. Whether they just update it, or put a whole new ride in, and get rid of the Chinese Theatre, I am sure something will happen before too long.

I personally think that the theatre will go and be replaced witha whole new building. Why else would they out that damned hat where it is?

Al

Original Poster
yes, i mean it used to be a lovely view down there, but whatever new thing they put in, the hat will always be blocking it

MrPromey

Originally posted by Mattore
A few notes...

First, on the ride not having been changed at all since day 1. Not true. Yes, the finale film has been updated several times to include newer films. But, the ENTIRE SPIEL for the ride has also changed, and is now in its 3rd version since the ride orginally opened. Prior to the current, rather serious spiel, was a more wacky, Jungle-Cruiseish spiel with lines such as (in the mummy scene) "Don't worry folks, they're only dangerous when their eyes glow red." (Hmmm.. are all their eyes red?) In addition, the entire lighting schemes for the ride have changed multiple times, the last time being VERY recent, and other changed have been made as well, including changed to the ride system itself.

Secondly, on it 'having' the be changed if it becomes the "Disney Studios" and drops the MGM name. Also not true. First off, the rights to each movie in the ride were purchased individually and seperately for the ride. You will notice that not all the movies you see are Disney or MGM. In fact, there are even *Universal* movies in the finale film. The MGM name could be dropped, and the movies could all be kept, without a legal problem arising.

Now, this doesn't mean that nothing will happen. Perhaps the ride will be closed next week. You never know. But I think this ride is over-targeted by people looking for the 'new ride to close' rumors.

I definitely won't contest the changes that you mentioned. I haven't noticed anything different, myself in the lightening nor do I see why they would feel the need to change this but I have noticed changes to what the cast members say, not only in the mummy scene but in the Indy scene and one or two others, I just figured it was them leaving stuff out. Finding out that DIsney has stripped their lines down does nothing to make me feel any better about this attraction. Do you know if anything has been added to the script? I didn't notice them saying anything I hadn't heard before... As for the MGM thing, I'm trying to figure out if there is even any connection with MGM to the Chinese Theater. This may be something obvious that I'm simply unaware of but I don't see why they would have to change the front of this building if they were to drop the MGM name... As for myself, I'm not looking for them to close it, I just wish they would make significant updates to it in order to keep the thing changing with the times. Some of the scenes were from more modern movies at the time but today's younger park guests may not have even been alive when all these movies were released - no wonder it's not popular with the teen audience... On a side note though, I have a friend that collects the smashed pennies and on Saturday I noticed a new machine for them in the RnR gift shop. One of the pennies had the Disney Studios name on it without MGM... She pointed it out when I gave her the pennies yesterday evening. Just thought it was interesting.

DisJosh

Re: Re: Re: Why I think The Great Movie Ride Will Close

Originally posted by <SRH>

I agree, I like the movie but is is old and the sound is bad. I did notice though on the clips for Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark that the sound is a lot louder and crystal clear.

I agree the sound system needs an update. Even if they get rid of the GMR I hope they kepp whatever replaces it in the theater building.

markymark

Re: Re: Re: Re: Why I think The Great Movie Ride Will Close

Originally posted by DisJosh

I agree the sound system needs an update. Even if they get rid of the GMR I hope they kepp whatever replaces it in the theater building.

Me too, I just wonder about it's long term future, why else would they block it out?

Al

Original Poster
yes thats my opinion too,

is it actually possible to see the mickey mouse plant thing (as seen under my member name)??

DisJosh

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why I think The Great Movie Ride Will Close

Originally posted by markymark

Me too, I just wonder about it's long term future, why else would they block it out?

B/c theyre EVIL!!! Lol I know it sux that its blocked..........but at least keep it. (roger rabbit voice)Ppppllleaase keep the GMR up Disney!

MrPromey

Originally posted by Mattore
Al,

The Mickey Mouse plant (as in your picutre) no longer exists. It was torn out months ago.

I rather doubt that it was torn out or that it no longer exists. Most of the topiaries at WDW are planted in such a way that they can be replaced overnight if need be... They also have duplicates of many of them ready in case there should be a problem... I'm guessing we'll see the little fellow somewhere else before too terribly long. :)

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
If it keeps bringing people in, there should be no reason to get rid of it. Maybe that is what they are trying to figaure out by placing the Sorcerer Hat in front of it.

DisJosh

Originally posted by MickeyMoose15
If it keeps bringing people in, there should be no reason to get rid of it. Maybe that is what they are trying to figaure out by placing the Sorcerer Hat in front of it.

Well they have to get rid of alot of scenes b/c the contract w/ MGM is done with.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom