Why don't we get Dark Rides like this at WDW

AndrewsJ

Original Poster
These Dark Rides actually have to be seen to be believed. This from Efteling Park in The Netherlands is called Symbolica and depending on the ride vehicle you are in it takes you on 1 of 3 tours of the castle. The tours are Treasures, Heroes and Music. I hope this is OK to post in Chit Chat or even post at all, if not please move or delete. @Dead2009 has kindly posted the videos for us below!

Last edited:

Bairstow

So they're re-using basic ride sets but using projection, hidden props, and lighting to dramatically change their usage depending on the type of tour selected.
Radical. It's like a more ambitious use of the techniques Busch Gardens used on Verbolten.
Eftlieng has been on my bucket list for a while. Ton van de Ven was so cool.
He was an adherent of the old-school way of thinking that a good ride will always put setting and tone ahead of story and let the rider create their own narrative.

Songbird76

Ok, so we went to The Efteling yesterday and I have to say the video makes it look more impressive than it really is. We waited until the line went down to 50 minutes and it was so not worth that wait. We got through it and I was like...that's it?? It's cool that you get to choose which one of the 3 paths you want to take, but the only thing that's different is the one room....where the music tour has the organ, the heroes room has the knights, and the treasure room has the diamonds. And the room where they take your picture has a different base that the mirror rests on. That's it. DD and I did the music one, DH and DS did heroes. DH was a bit upset because a group of 4 girls pushed past them to get into the front with the interactive panels, because the back doesn't have them, after the CM person told them to let kids into the front to do the panels, and DS was really upset that he didn't get to do that. He wanted to go back and do it again just to sit in the front, but the line was 70 minutes long again and we just weren't going to waste that much time on it. What WAS cool was that there were signs and things throughout the line on posts, trash cans, banners, in a Cipher code. DH took pictures of all of them and decoded them with the kids today. I think they were all in Dutch though, so unless you speak Dutch, you wouldn't get them. Some of them were jokes that don't translate because they are plays on words. Like...Boer can be either a farmer, or to burp. So what's the difference between a boer (farmer) and a koning? (king) A king can burp but a farmer can't king. But it was fun going through the line trying to figure out more and more of the letters. And every few minutes they would have some sort of silly announcement like "Ladies and gentlemen, we ask that you follow castle etiquette. This means no swiping or swapping of others' belongings." And they make the announcements in both Dutch and English. So that was neat. But they didn't make the queue very convenient...it's pretty isolated, so at one time, a parade went by on the path right next to us, but we couldn't see a thing because they have hedges and trees and everything, so anything that happens while you are in line, you miss. I actually liked Droomvlucht (dream flight) much better as far as the ride goes, though the theming in the queue wasn't anything spectacular.

trr1

Ok, so we went to The Efteling yesterday and I have to say the video makes it look more impressive than it really is. We waited until the line went down to 50 minutes and it was so not worth that wait. We got through it and I was like...that's it?? It's cool that you get to choose which one of the 3 paths you want to take, but the only thing that's different is the one room....where the music tour has the organ, the heroes room has the knights, and the treasure room has the diamonds. And the room where they take your picture has a different base that the mirror rests on. That's it. DD and I did the music one, DH and DS did heroes. DH was a bit upset because a group of 4 girls pushed past them to get into the front with the interactive panels, because the back doesn't have them, after the CM person told them to let kids into the front to do the panels, and DS was really upset that he didn't get to do that. He wanted to go back and do it again just to sit in the front, but the line was 70 minutes long again and we just weren't going to waste that much time on it. What WAS cool was that there were signs and things throughout the line on posts, trash cans, banners, in a Cipher code. DH took pictures of all of them and decoded them with the kids today. I think they were all in Dutch though, so unless you speak Dutch, you wouldn't get them. Some of them were jokes that don't translate because they are plays on words. Like...Boer can be either a farmer, or to burp. So what's the difference between a boer (farmer) and a koning? (king) A king can burp but a farmer can't king. But it was fun going through the line trying to figure out more and more of the letters. And every few minutes they would have some sort of silly announcement like "Ladies and gentlemen, we ask that you follow castle etiquette. This means no swiping or swapping of others' belongings." And they make the announcements in both Dutch and English. So that was neat. But they didn't make the queue very convenient...it's pretty isolated, so at one time, a parade went by on the path right next to us, but we couldn't see a thing because they have hedges and trees and everything, so anything that happens while you are in line, you miss. I actually liked Droomvlucht (dream flight) much better as far as the ride goes, though the theming in the queue wasn't anything spectacular.
so you are in the Netherlands? cool

Songbird76

so you are in the Netherlands? cool
Yep. I moved here about 15 years ago. My husband is Dutch. I had been to the Efteling a LONG time ago...I think when I just came to visit my husband (then boyfriend) before we got married, but the kids had never been there, so we decided to go. It's no Disney, but it's pretty cool.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom