Why don't Illuminations Lasers show on camera as good any more

The Tuna

They get dirty, parts wear out.

RoEs lasers never were as readable as the earlier bi colour version, and green/blue is the part of the spectrum that travels best.

Remember though that especially during 88-97 there were a lot of laser effects with no pyro, hence a cameras shutter didn't automatically ramp down.

The current show can still look good laser wise but it's more hit and miss. See what the future brings.
You sound like you know a thing or 2 about video production...;)

MaryJaneP

All of the previously mentioned reasons sound likely. The lasers used, their medium (smoke/dirty air/cigarette smoke), the sensitivity of newer optical sensors vs. film/older tube based video equipment, and the contrast/iris fluctuations caused by the pyro (both on film and to our eyes) very well may explain the differences. My optometrist says my eyes are getting older as well, so I may not see as clearly.

JIMINYCR

My optometrist says my eyes are getting older as well, so I may not see as clearly.
Noooo... we're not getting older, the world is getting fuzzier...
We went to the Millennium Illuminations and the laser show then was very distinct and brilliant. Then a few years after it seemed the lasers started appearing dimmer. At the time I thought it was related to less smoke in the air prior to the laser bursts but I guess some of the earlier comments give better explanations.

Bluewaves

The old lasers were brighter, the technology has also changed over the years too, now with that being said, I was in the world last fall and saw the show 4 times, the clearer and cleaner the night air the less the lasers were visible, on top of that I personally believe there is much more light pollution in the area that also lessens the effect of the lasers, lasers do wear out over time as well, depending on their source ie chemical, gas or solid state they do get dimmer over time just like a light bulb or led does.

Full color lasers are also usually dimmer than their single color companions so you get a trade off.

Personally I would like to see the current show refreshed, reimagined, plussed , whatever you'd like to call it, plenty of new tech out there to take advantage of

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom