Why do people defend Disney's snack prices...

Status
Not open for further replies.

disneyflush

How is what Disney charges for food any different to what Universal, Six Flags, Cedar Point.........and so on charge?

I initially came on here to complain about prices at Six Flags but people told me I was in the wrong place. Then I went to the Six Flags forum to complain about Disney prices and they said the same thing. What is even the point to having individualized discussion boards?

Wdw62114

The whiners will still go unfortunately. I think its so funny how people get so upset about Disney ripping them off.....but still continue to give them money.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Original Poster
If people's gas costs go up $0.04 in a year they scream murder. If their fav corporation's price surge costs them $2200 they cheer and applaud.

What was that quote by Spirit about Disney fans being a special kind of mentally ill?
HA! Funny you should use that comparison. I actually own a gas station. And let me tell you, if I'm the first in town to raise my price after a wholesale cost increase, I lose business and get called a thief.

rob0519

Disney charges increasingly ludicrous prices for things like water, and cheeseburgers. Why do people continue to pay those prices? And in some cases defend Disney's pricing policies?

I know we are a captive audience when we are on property, but does Disney need to milk every single penny out of us? And what makes people so happy that they do it? Thanks Disney for charging me an 57 billion percent markup!!!!

I don't defend them and I, like everyone else pays them because, yes, we are a captive audience for 12 hours while we try to get our money's worth on the $100 ticket we paid to get in the park.

Yes. As a public company Disney has the right to milk every single penny out of us that they can. It's called a business, not a charity.
I've started ordering kid's meals or splitting entrees with my wife to avoid the prices. I still blame the Dining Plan for artificially inflating prices.
While I know you're just being dramatic, 57 billion %?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Original Poster
I don't defend them and I, like everyone else pays them because, yes, we are a captive audience for 12 hours while we try to get our money's worth on the $100 ticket we paid to get in the park.

Yes. As a public company Disney has the right to milk every single penny out of us that they can. It's called a business, not a charity.
I've started ordering kid's meals or splitting entrees with my wife to avoid the prices. I still blame the Dining Plan for artificially inflating prices.
While I know you're just being dramatic, 57 billion %?
Those are approximate numbers give or take a few billion.

Princess Kaylee

Disney does not prevent people from bringing in there own food and drinks. The food and drinks in the park are expensive but nobody is forcing people to buy them.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
There is no need to defend anything. The reality is - there are other options. Take a break and leave the park, go out to I-Drive if you want to save a $1 on water, or simply bring a couple of bottles with you. Do you complain when you go to a convenience store and purchase something that is marked up? No. Because its a convenience store (hence the name). They are in business to make a profit. There is nothing wrong with that. That's why people go into business in the first place.

It amazes me that this entire thread is based around the fact that someone feels the right to complain because they disagree with how much profit a company should make. Sorry to break it to you - The market dictates that - not you.

An example: Let's say they sold bottled water at .50 and sold 1,000 a day and their cost was .20 a bottle - Their profit is $300
Now let's say they increased the price to $2 a bottle and saw a 40% drop in sales - WOW that's terrible - But their profit is now $1080 which is over a 350% increase in margin. When the margin doesn't grow in correlation with the price increase, then they've hit a threshold. In business you will always charge according to what the market will support (it would be irresponsible not to). At sporting events, at bars, at restaurants, and yes, even at theme parks. Go to a trendy restaurant in your area and ask why they are charging $15 for a cocktail when the local establishment down the street only charges $8.

Last edited:

copcarguyp71

Pay a car service to take you from MCO to the resort instead of ME...they will make a courtesy stop at Publix for you to stock the room with water, drinks, snacks and sundry items like sunblock plus you typically get to your resort faster..problem solved.

draybook

Well, then they should be charging a lot more then. BMW, Audi, and Mercedes are considered "better' brands than Kia and Chevy, and they charge a LOT more for their cars that perform the exact same function. Since Disney is better than Six Flags and Cedar Point, they should charge a lot more for their food, but they don't. Their prices are very similar to other parks, and actually cheaper than some.

If you think that the current Disney product is of the same level as Mercedes and BMW...well, there's no reason for us to discuss this any further.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Original Poster
Yo. Arm chair economists. I don't need a 100 level class in profits, or supply and demand, thanks.

What I need to know is why people get some weird perverse pleasure from paying jacked up food and bev prices. As @Pumbas Nakasak is so fond of pointing out(rightly) Disney does not love you. They aren't going to ask you to prom because you like paying $4.25 for a Coke or $40 for some Mickey Waffles.

Goofyernmost

If people's gas costs go up $0.04 in a year they scream murder. If their fav corporation's price surge costs them $2200 they cheer and applaud.

What was that quote by Spirit about Disney fans being a special kind of mentally ill?
Perhaps, and I know that this is crazy, but, it might be because in today's world of suburbia gas is a necessity. I am guessing here that the day hell freezes over will be when Disney is necessary to survival. And, seriously, no one cheers and applauds, but, many are able to see past that cloud of Pixie Dust and understand that there is a difference between the two. Others cannot! Others cannot see that I am never forced to purchase a snack item from Disney. It is strictly voluntary, not at gunpoint. I have many other options, however, my car simply refuses the run on the less expensive air.

Doug Means

Does anyone go into a trip to Disney, blindly not knowing what prices will be like? if so, would it shock them that these prices are sooooo high? anyone that reads these boards understands the losses Disney is having at that other new park...so they must raise prices here, right?
that being said, i believe that most who post here understand what they are getting into and how to get around some of it. i also believe that many who don't post on here understand what they are getting into. i don't feel sorry for anyone who pays it and then complains about it.

Last edited:

YozhikRoth

Does anyone go into a trip to Disney, blindly not knowing what prices will be like? if so, would it shock them that these prices are sooooo high? anyone that reads these boards understands the loses Disney is having at that other new park...so they must raise prices here, right?
that being said, i believe that most who post here understand what they are getting into and how to get around some of it. i also believe that many who don't post on here understand what they are getting into. i don't feel sorry for anyone who pays it and then complains about it.

I think whatever "losses" Disney is seeing on new parks is pennies compared to the hemorrhaging subscriber base at ESPN, especially considering the long-term commitments they are locked into for rights fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom