why did skyway go?

epcot71

Original Poster
anyone know the real reason why sky was closed?it used to be one of my favorite attractions when i was a kid.any ideas what they have planned for the tommorowland and fantasyland loading areas?-i was at mk last month and they had a meet and greet at fantasyland loading area

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I have some info on the site from the time when it closed
http://www.wdwmagic.com/magic2.htm

Heres an extract from the item...

10 November 1999: Skyway confirmed closed for good.

"It's part of our ongoing efforts to phase out some of the older attractions and introduce new things to keep our parks exciting for our new and repeat visitors," Walt Disney World spokesman Diane Ledder said Tuesday. "It's just something whose time has come."

"Certainly, it was one of the older rides," Ledder said. "This was based on our guest evaluations and our desire to renew things and keep them fresh."

There is nothing currently going on at either of the Station.s The Tommorrowland station looks a liekly to feature as part of some new attraction, along with the COP and Galaxy Theater areas.

WDW-Imagineer

Originally posted by Alberrisford
from what i could see it looked very tatty and dangerous!!

Here is an excerpt from the Urban Legends page"

"Events seemingly repeated themselves five years later. In February 1999, a park custodian at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom was killed when the skyway started up expectedly while he was cleaning one of its platforms. Raymond Barlow, 65, was sweeping off a narrow skyway platform inaccessible to park guests an hour after the park's 9:00 A.M. opening when other cast members, unaware of his presence, started up the ride. Barlow, startled by the approaching gondola, grabbed onto it and tried to climb inside; he fell 40 feet into a flower bed, hitting a tree on the way down, and died. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration later ruled that the area in which Barlow had been working violated federal safety codes and fined Walt Disney World $4,500 for a "serious" violation of safety standards. Several months later, in November 1999, the Magic Kingdom's skyway was also permanently closed. Once again, the decision to close the attraction was based on factors other than its being involved in a recent accidental death. "

I doubt skyway was closed because of this incident, mainly because it happened before the park opened & to a cast member. Guests neither witnessed nor were injured in the incident.

Nifty

my humble opinion

In my humble opinion, the ride closed down because it was possible for someone to throw or spit off of the ride and hit people down below. Liability becomes an issue in such circumstances, and people just LOVE to sue Disney for any imaginable reason. Another theory I have is that, from the ride, it was possible to see the backstage areas. It is rare that when you are "onstage", that you can see a backstage area, so I think Disney wanted to keep that constant and eliminate the skyway. These reasons are merely speculations on my part.

Tramp

Originally posted by wdwmagic

"Certainly, it was one of the older rides," Ledder said. "This was based on our guest evaluations and our desire to renew things and keep them fresh."

I love it when they use the ol 'guest evaluations' excuse...that's right, the 'guests' made us do it...it's what 'they' wanted....our 'guests' wanted us to freshen things up......
Gimme a break...will Disney ever level with us on this?...if it was a liability question, say it...if it was cuz the worker was killed...say it...if too many people were being spit on...say it....BUT DON'T BLAME US.

Al

The second time i went, i was under just where they go off the platform ( i may be completely wrong here but i am sure it was by space mountain), and one had just set off, and someone must of threw some water over the side, and i got soaked!:(

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
Accourding to Disney, they said that the attraction was very old and something need to replace but I think that after the death of a cast member who fell from one of the cars, Disney didn't want to spend money on putting new safety stuff into it. They did the same thing withe closure of the Disneyland Skway in 1994.

I think the reason was because Disney was stupid! (in this instance) As to the spitting or throwing something off, Disney has enough cameras and security to deter such activity and immediately kick such people out and/or have them charged with a crime to prevent such actions. Skyway was such a wonderful birdseye view above the park that was absolutely magical and is absolutely missed! :( :( :(

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Originally posted by thedisneyfan
As to the spitting or throwing something off, Disney has anough cameras:( :(

no they don't. I can count the number of cameras at MK w/ my hands and toes.

It isn't as many as they like people to believe.

Originally posted by mktiggerman

I can count the number of cameras at MK w/ my hands and toes.

I hope that this isn't true. If it is, then it would be a very stupid act on Disney's part in relation to liability and legal concerns. I doubt that a cast member other than maybe management and security would really have knowlege as to all the cameras and their whereabouts. :eek:

lnsemsf

They do have a lot of cameras, mostly on rides to keep people safe, and in shops to prevent theft. As for people not throwing things. I used to toss pennys from the Peoplemover in Tomorrowland on to unsuspecting people below, and the only cameras were on the inside of the buildings it went through. I never once got caught, and to be honest, it was quite funny. It doesnt hurt anybody since it is just 1 level up, and it was great to watch peoples confused looks as the look for what just happened (Sorry if I hit any of you back in 1997 when I used to do that.) :)

The Mom

Premium Member
. I never once got caught, and to be honest, it was quite funny. It doesnt hurt anybody since it is just 1 level up, and it was great to watch peoples confused looks as the look for what just happened (Sorry if I hit any of you back in 1997 when I used to do that.) :) [/B]

Since it's too late to sic my lawyer on you, keep a lookout for a strange guy carrying a violin case. ;)

Or a (slightly) plump, pleasant looking, very friendly middle-aged woman carrying a plate of cookies. I wouldn't take one, if I were you! ;)

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Originally posted by thedisneyfan

I hope that this isn't true. If it is, then it would be a very stupid act on Disney's part in relation to liability and legal concerns. I doubt that a cast member other than maybe management and security would really have knowlege as to all the cameras and their whereabouts. :eek:

sorry, I should've been more specific. I mean, the number of cameras at WDW is a lot lower than most people would think... A LOT LOWER!

Most of the cameras located in attractions are only viewed by 2 cm's and not even taped.

The only legitimate security cameras I know of are located in <shocking> MERCHANDISE AREAS. I've been up in the security offices before and every camera I saw on their monitors was viewing merchandise areas mainly on main street.

Lofatrules

Cameras

I can definately attest to cameras being inside the rides. I was on Splash Mountain on the inner part a few years ago and I reached my hand out to splash the person in front of me. As soon as I did it the ride halted and recorded announcement to keep your hands and arms inside the boat at all times came on:p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom