Why can't you make PS for WDW online?

WDW FAN 4 LIFE

Original Poster
With today's technoligy I was wondering why WDW has not made a system where we can make priority seating arrangments online? Part of me says it's because they want people calling the 407 number, but if that is true then how come we can make WDW hotel reservations online?

SteveUK

Is there something wrong with the current system? It's not like they don't get enough custom from phones alone and need to expand to get people in. It seems that it would just complicate things for them from a practical perpective of co-ordinating phone and online reservations, when they would gain nothing from it. Why make work for yourself when your current system works fine?

Nemo14

WDW FAN 4 LIFE said:
With today's technoligy I was wondering why WDW has not made a system where we can make priority seating arrangments online? Part of me says it's because they want people calling the 407 number, but if that is true then how come we can make WDW hotel reservations online?
Why do you always look for things to complain about?!!!!!!!!!

wannab@dis

How many times have you made multiple PS on the phone at one time? I've done it several times and the PS confirmation numbers increased dramatically between each PS they made for me. Out of curiosity, I asked the CM if they had ever made a PS back to back and got a number that was back to back. It hadn't happened for that CM but they said it was a running joke that it couldn't happen with the number of people calling in all the time, but they would love to see it.

Now... creating a system that can track THAT MANY transactions with a live internet connection would be a major undertaking. Since a backoffice application should not share the same data store as an internet attached application, that data would have to be replicated. Most backoffice applications are not replicated real time to an internet based application. Since seating in a restaurant is limited, the replication for that type of service would have to be nearly real time to handle peak time usage.

Is it possible? Sure. Is it plausible? Probably not. Would it be nice? Of course.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
WDW FAN 4 LIFE said:
I was not complainig about this. I just wondered why we can not a PS online?
So please tell me what I did wrong?
:) Nothing, I think it was a legit question. :wave:

Nicole

Maybe it's because they want to make sure people understand all the details: you do/do not need park admission, please allow adequate time to travel from your resort, this is a non-smoking restaurant, etc. Otherwise you know there'd be someone who makes an ADR for Crystal Palace then pitches a fit because they don't have park tickets.

Nemo14

WDW FAN 4 LIFE said:
Nemo14 thinks I make posts where I always complain. Well I did not complain about this.
Sorry I couldn't get back to you about this last night, but I was at work. I said what I said because if you read the tone of most of your previous threads, they come across as a "challenge" , if not complaint, about WDW. Although sometimes you may have legitimate concerns, the general impression you make about the place we all love is somewhat negative. I think if you go back and read some of the things you've written, you'll understrand what I mean.
Just a suggestion, but why not try posting about something you really love about your frequent trips to WDW once in a while.

kellydisney

I don't care that you have to call, but what would be cool would be if you could see the reservations you actually made with the ressie #s on them in your trip planner on the Disney website. I always lose the damn paper I write them on! :hammer:

Japhy

Kelly - What we did this time was put the ref numbers in our online itinerary comments for each meal right after we called so we have it logged safely online. :animwink:

LaughingGravy

I think the reason for not having PS online is for the details that can be obtained with a person as mentioned above.
Dietary requirements, any questions about admission, relation to dinner reservations vs. not want to miss showtimes, etc. can all be covered with a person on the other end of the phone.

The computer reasons mentioned above are also certainly valid.
Computers are great, but if they had such a complex system in 'real time' for online use by the general public and it went down for at least a few reasons I can think of, it wouldn't be fun at all.

I remember when I first went to EPCOT and the only way to get dining reservations was to practically sprint at opening time to WorldKey, just underneath/beyond Spaceship Earth.
Then, they had the operators talking to you face to face via videophones (too cool!) when you made the reservations.
I don't know if that basic computer system for reservations has just been expanded to accomodate all the places now and has been upgraded for quality and speed, or if today's system is a totally revamped one bearing no resemblance to the original.

I wonder if there are castmembers/historians here who could shed some light on the dining reservation system's history.
Those of us here who are computer geeks may be interested.

hcswingfield

I like the phone system. Whenever we book, we always get a cast member who likes to chat about the restaurants, make suggestions for menu items or new restaurants we haven't tried yet, etc. The conversation with the cast member is one of the things that helps me get mentally prepared for the magic that awaits me when I arrive. Sure, booking online might be easier and more efficient, but I will still prefer the option of talking with a live, happy, magical cast member who is excited about WDW and helps me get excited about my upcoming visit.

GenerationX

hcswingfield said:
I like the phone system. Whenever we book, we always get a cast member who likes to chat about the restaurants, make suggestions for menu items or new restaurants we haven't tried yet, etc. The conversation with the cast member is one of the things that helps me get mentally prepared for the magic that awaits me when I arrive. Sure, booking online might be easier and more efficient, but I will still prefer the option of talking with a live, happy, magical cast member who is excited about WDW and helps me get excited about my upcoming visit.
I agree completely and could not have said this better, hcswingfield.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
SteveUK said:
Is there something wrong with the current system? It's not like they don't get enough custom from phones alone and need to expand to get people in. It seems that it would just complicate things for them from a practical perpective of co-ordinating phone and online reservations, when they would gain nothing from it. Why make work for yourself when your current system works fine?

Its called convenience. I for one... would like to be able to make PSs online. Since I do everything online these days anyway. I think it would be great. Sometimes you just dont wanna have to deal with a real person who gives you attitude and who seems like they dont wanna be bothered with your call. Yes... I have encountered such things with 407-WDW-DINE.

People suck sometimes... and I for one.. choose not to deal with it the majority of the time. So.. that being said... if I had the option of doing things online with no hassle or grief... or having to call a number and dealing with a disinterested, $6 dollar an hour, service orientated person who dislikes their job... I'd choose the first option. :wave:

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Knowing the dining booking system - the CMs are saving you the trouble. It's complicated, has way too many rules, and the computer doesn't know what you mean when you say you want to goto the "Whoop dee doo."

I really think most of it is that folks in general would just be confused. The CM's know which 3 keystrokes to hit to pull up nearly any location before you finish you sentence, then they know the rules and regulations, and answers to questions you might have.

People would gloss over the rules even if it had a "click to accept terms and conditions.." - for example, do you really read the terms every time you install software?

Well, with dining, that could mean you'd not know that you'd need theme park admission (you'd be suprised how common that is - why would they let you enter the park for free?) or that you'd need to arrive at the MK front gates by a certain time to hit Cindy's before they shut down the walkways for the fireworks.

There's just so much to cover, it'd be impossible to get it into a format that people will take seriously.

One more thing - dreadful people already play the game where one books a ressie, then sells it, and does this synchronized cancelation so the buyer can pick it up. Imagine how much worse it would be if folks had direct access to the system.

MickeyTigg

I agree....while it would be super convenient for many of us...there are a lot of people that would not understand how to use the system, search for restaurants and it would be a royal pain in the butt for Disney.

I mean...come on...how many times to people on this site ask about Whoop Dee Do, or Mickey's Grill, or whatever. How many people are going to confuse Liberty Inn with Liberty Tree Tavern? How many people are going to think that Cinderella's Galla is at the Castle and not the Grand Floridian?

I'd love it, but I just don't see it working out for the general public.

BRER STITCH

mousermerf said:
It's complicated, has way too many rules, and the computer doesn't know what you mean when you say you want to goto the "Whoop dee doo."

There's just so much to cover, it'd be impossible to get it into a format that people will take seriously.

Imagine how much worse it would be if folks had direct access to the system.

FINALLY...the real problem has been identified!!! EVERYTHING about planning a WDW vacation has ALWAYS been bogged down with too many rules, exceptions, and miscommunication from CMs!!!

In all fairness, a little more credit should be given to the folks who actually know how to use a computer. All it would take is a simple "Press Here to make your Dining Reservations LIVE with a Cast Member" button for those who are too confused by the system.

As with everything in life, a little accountability is required on the part of the customer. That's not always a bad thing!

:)

nicholas

Perhaps the best part of having to call to make your reservations is that you always get to speak to someone with the most bizarre name :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom