Why are ride closures constantly changing?

ljs1691

Original Poster
I understand that a ride closure schedule might change a few days here or there and there might be a last minute addition to the list but the way the list for DL changes is like trying to hit a moving target. We are planning our first trip for our anniversary at the end of January and I had accepted not getting to see World of Color and not riding the Matterhorn but now they have added IASW and the DL railroad. The list is so long at this point, they should offer a discounted ticket.

I guess I am just amazed at how much the list has apparently changed in a matter of a couple of days.

Last edited:

PacNWTigger

You will be pleased to find out that there is still more than enough stuff to do even with the closures that are occurring. January is the time where the rides that were all decked out for the holidays are put back to "normal", so some closures are to be expected at that time of year.

Travel Junkie

What you are seeing is from unofficial websites speculating based off of internal memos and leaked information. What’s usually leaked are preliminary lists that change often as different departments are consulted before the final published list goes out. Disneyland does not officially release their refurb schedule until about a month in advance. It rarely changes after that.

As a general rule expect a lot of refurbs during off season, especially January through March. Even with all of the refrubs, Disneyland will still have more attractions running this January than MK at full capacity. If anyone should offer the reduced ticket, it should be WDW. ;) DHS's attraction count is embarrassing.

GiveMeTheMusic

it's a small world and Haunted Mansion close every January (their refurbs don't overlap to avoid having them both down at the same time) to remove the holiday overlays. Splash Mountain also closes each January - normally Fantasmic would go down as well, but because of World of Color it's instead going to 7 day operation.

On top of that, the parks are preparing for a HUGE marketing push in May with the 60th celebration kicking off. That means refurbs so everything is in top condition in time for the party.

The good news is that even with these rides down, there is still a ton to do at both DL parks. DL and DCA have something none of the parks at WDW have - strong attraction rosters that don't suffer during rehabs.

I understand your frustration, but of all the attractions to be closed, these are some of the "best". Small World here is great, but Pirates is better. Matterhorn sucks IMO (it's painful); other than its historical significance it's not a great ride. Our Splash is inferior to WDW's. Soarin' is cloned at Epcot, etc.

Californian Elitist

Pretty much what everyone here has already said. There are some rides (small world and Mansion) that go down every January, usually Splash, too. The 60th anniversary is coming up and that also means refurbishments are, too.

There are plenty of other attractions that will still be open. Don't let the list of refurbishments keep you from going.

Last edited:

ljs1691

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies. I have only been checking on the DL website list of closures and it is the one that has changed so drastically overnight. IASW was on the schedule already but it turned into a much longer rehab. Soarin is not even on my radar thankfully. Really wanted a fried green tomato sandwich from Hungry Bear too.

Anyway, we are looking forward to heading west, as our last trip to WDW was less than magical. We used to go once every year or two but we don't intend to go back at all for the time being. I am excited to see where it all began.

JediMasterMatt

Thanks for all the replies. I have only been checking on the DL website list of closures and it is the one that has changed so drastically overnight. IASW was on the schedule already but it turned into a much longer rehab. Soarin is not even on my radar thankfully. Really wanted a fried green tomato sandwich from Hungry Bear too.

Anyway, we are looking forward to heading west, as our last trip to WDW was less than magical. We used to go once every year or two but we don't intend to go back at all for the time being. I am excited to see where it all began.

Refurbs at Disneyland are really non-issues as others have suggested. There is so much "density" to both parks at this point that when attractions go offline it doesn't have the huge impact that taking an attraction offline in Orlando does.

They get pulled on and off the schedule pretty quickly at DLR because they are always trying to juggle resources around. The good news is that when attractions go down, they typically come back up in far better condition and the amount of time it's offline doesn't go to waste.

Anything you miss this trip is just incentive to come back for your next one. If you've got the WDW blues, you will find reassurance in your Disney Parks love in Anaheim after this visit.

George Lucas on a Bench

The best part of that time of year is that they reopen The Haunted Mansion, the weather is perfect and the crowds are lighter. This year, it seems that will be the ONLY attraction available for your trip! Sounds good to me! I kid! Can you delay your trip until the refurbs are over?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom