Trip Report "Whoa!" Our Disney Trip through the eyes of our 15mo Old!

Hello everyone, we just got back from Disney on Saturday night, and I want to start my trip report before I start forgetting the little details. So here we go...I WILL be adding pictures, but the beginning of the trip report is being started while at work, so I will have to add them later!

First: Read my Pre trip Report Here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...-for-mom-dad-babys-first-trip-sept-15.901000/

Thanks for reading along.. hope you enjoy!

When: 9/19-9/26
Where: Animal Kingdom Lodge
Who: Myself, My husband, and our 15 month old daughter Harper. Also, My Mom, Step Dad, and 5 year old Nephew.

Day1 Friday September 18th:
The day was finally here! The vacation that I had been looking forward to for TWO years. We had counted down from 400 something days, and now we were are at ZERO and within hours of departing. I worked a half day on Friday, but could barely concentrate at work. I kept staring at the clock on my computer wishing so 1pm. Finally, it rolled around. I changed into comfy pants, and met my husband outside since he picked me up. If you were reading along on my trip report, you will recall that my daughter Harper was sick, and I was feeling somewhat sick, but I didn't let it get me down! We were going to Disney World!! I hopped in the back seat and was ready to go! My parents had to wait for my Nephew to arrive so we drove across town and when to a vitamin store to get an energy drink I like before we left. At this point, I took command in the drivers seat, and we jumped right on I-81 to get the show on the road. Not long after, my parents were on their way too, we tried hard, but we just could not meet up together on the road. Eh, that's okay. We would work it out. I'm not sure of the exact route now, but we took 81 south, to 17 south and through some windy back roads with lots of winery's. We ended getting on I-95 at Fredericksburg, VA. The drive wasn't too bad, and I don't recall any issues at all.

We finally met up with my parents at the first rest stop once we got on 95. Harper had JUST fallen asleep when we stopped and she must have sensed it even though the car was running, because within minutes of stopping, she was awake. Well, crap... I needed her to nap, but she was up, so we got her out of the car and met my parents and walked inside. After quick bathroom stops, and a few minutes of leg stretching, we were back on the road ready to go!

(this is where I'm going to stop until I get access to my pictures!)

Last edited:

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster
Day 7 (Park Day 5, Animal Kindgom!) September 24th :

Today starts with an ADR at BOMA!
IMG_6271.JPG

I’ve smelled this place the entire trip, and now it’s OUR TURN to eat at this place! We walked right up and got seated. Once again, the chef came out and showed us the entire spread and what we could and couldn’t have. There wasn’t much we couldn’t have except all the beautiful pastries! The Chef saw my face when he said we couldn’t have those (I obviously knew, but damn it sucks!) and offered to make me my own platter of items. I wavered on it a bit, and he said he could see on my face I really wanted it, so he’d bring it out for me! I was so excited. I did want it, but wasn’t sure if it cost extra! So I loaded up on eggs with goat cheese and chives, smoked salmon and cream cheese, potatoes, ect! When I got back to the table my GF platter arrived. HOLY. COW. This thing was loaded with things I have not eaten in a LONG TIME (I did a Whole100 leading up to this trip!) It had 2 mickey waffles, a toasted bagel, 2 GF muffins (one chocolate, and one blueberry) and two donuts (cinnamon, and vanilla). My face must have lit up like the sun! I was so excited! Guess what? I ate the ENTIRE thing over the duration of the day (eep!)Also they were nice and gave me a box so I could take the muffins back to the room and eat them later. I didn’t think they would, but they did! I won’t lie.. I thought about them ALL DAY! :)
IMG_6362.JPG

When we met up with my parents, my mom sounded AWFUL. She said she was not going with us to Animal Kingdom. My heart kind of sank because I know how much she loves being in Disney and what’s worse than being sick in Disney? She said she was going to take a nap and see how she felt later in the evening. It sucked leaving without her, but off we went. The bus wait took forever. We finally got there and got off the bus. WOW. Today was the hottest day of the week, I’m pretty sure. The sun and heat/humidity were unforgiving! I was so glad that Harper drank a TON of water on this trip. She never seemed to get dehydrated! First stop was some pictures with Photopass (which I don’t have on me..sorry! I will add them later) and then onto our first FP at Kilimanjaro Safari! I’m pretty sure the FP line was longer than the regular line here, but oh well. It still wasn’t too bad! Harper was not happy to be in line. I think she was already tired. My stepdad got the left side seat, and I was on the end right seat. I didn’t realize that I was on the side that would have zero animals! Luckily my camera is pretty awesome and I still got some good pictures!
IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

After this we stopped in Harambe market and got some of the watermelon lemonade (which hit the SPOT on this super-hot day), and two giant cups of water! We were sweating just standing there, and luckily we got a seat under the shade so we could sit down for a minute. We talked to a nice couple for a while. The husband was an airline pilot and we laughed because they drove there. I believe they were from Dallas. We were enjoying our water when a lady came over and asked if we were waiting on food. We said “no” and she said “is it okay if we take this table when you are done? No rush” Uhhh, why would we care if you take the table when we are done? I decided this was her way of trying to ask us to get up and move, but we were still talking to the couple next to us so we did stay another 10 minutes or so, and then we decided we had better move. She quickly swooped in as soon as we got up. Moving along! We nephew wanted to stop and see the people playing drums, so we decided to go get a snack for harper. I got her a HUGE sugar cookie (which she loved!) And some yogurt! I think my husband got some espresso, or something. After this we had FP’s for Expedition Everest!!! I was so excited. The last time I was in Disney they were still building it. Little did I know it’d be TEN years before I was back to ride it!

IMG_6486.JPG

My step dad and nephew went first! We weren’t quite sure how he would like it. He’s five. The screams coming from the ride were pretty daunting so my step dad walked him closer so he could see it. When they came back they said yes, they were going to do it. My nephew saw that you were riding in a train, and he was all for it. While we were waiting with Harper (who was asleep!), we talked to a woman who told us a story about how she watched a large group of people leave a child behind in a stoller. She didn’t know at first, but then she didn’t see anyone come back so they sat with the child (less than a year old) until she saw someone frantically come back to the stroller. Apparently because the group is so large, they all thought “someone else” had the baby! They totally left her! This made my stomach sink. I watched Harper like a HAWK on this vacation because I didn’t want something like to happen. She said the mother burst into tears when they got back. I can imagine they all felt terrible. I’m also glad the lady decided to sit and wait with the baby. By this time my family was coming back! My nephew loved it! Awesome. Now it was our turn! We had a very quick line and pretty much got right on. What a great ride! I loved it! My heart was pounding when we got off. I would have loved to do it again, but 30 minute wait!
IMG_6010.JPG

After that we started heading towards Dinosaur, and stopped to get our pictures taken in front of Everest. Suddenly, I had a light bulb moment and remembered I saw on someone’s trip report about Iced Chai tea’s here and I NEEDED one and I remember them saying it was near Everest! We had to stop and ask a CM where we would find this and she told us Anandupar Tea Company. It took some searching but we did finally find it! I was going to get the iced chai, but I saw something that looked even better!!
IMG_6338.JPG

IMG_6339.JPG

I LOVE anything with coconut! This was absolutely amazing. It was far better than Starbucks or Dunkin. I wish I could have had about ten more of these.

We stopped for a bathroom break before heading to Dinosaur, and my step dad and husband got Mickey pretzels! Ahhh. I was so jealous as they looked really good. Now, Dinosaur! I remember being scared on this ride, and kind of not liking it, but this time I LOVED it. It’s flinging you around in the dark and putting dinosaur’s right in your face. I did scream like a child at the end, and was actually clinging to my husband! Our picture was HILARIOUS.
IMG_6022.JPG

More coming up....

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster

Day 7 (Park Day 5, Animal Kindgom!) September 24th Continued....

After that my step dad and nephew did it. I think he liked it! He didn’t have much to say about it, but he wanted to buy a GIANT dinosaur that my stepdad had to tell him wouldn’t fit in the car on the way home! Ha ha. I went in to grab their picture from the ride so they didn’t miss it (they missed their EE picture!) and when I came back out, AJ and Harper were eating a Mickey Bar. She looked like she was loving it, and she was covered in chocolate!
0635A1BA-4589-46F4-8E5E-7B3D39255F52.jpg

My nephew really wanted to go to the Bone yard playground, so off we went. It was actually really nice in here and I was glad to have a place to put harper down where she could run around. She really needed to burn off some energy! After this we decided that we were going to go! It was SO hot and we were all burned out. We wanted to go back and swim because it was so darn hot and we were going to DTD tonight!
IMG_6587.JPG

IMG_6594.JPG

IMG_6635.JPG

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster
Loving your report! Just booked our first vacation as parents for this time next year when my son will be 2 years old. I absolutely love the picture of Harper eating the Mickey Ice Cream Bar! So adorable!
I'm sure he will love it!! Harper said "Whoa!" all week! It was SO funny! I think she was blown away by everything! Even though she got frustrated in the lines a little bit, I'm so glad we took her at this age! I think 2 will be even better! Thanks for reading!

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster
Day 7 (Park Day 5, EVENING, DTD) September 24th:

Sadly, I have no pictures of this night, so sorry about that! I’ll try to keep it short.

My mom wanted to go to DTD to do our shopping for the trip. She seemed to be feeling a little better so after cooling down in the pool for about 30 minutes, we all got ready and headed down to the bus stop. I recall waiting a really long time for this bus. Naturally, Harper was not having it and was really squirming all over the place. I have NO idea what I would have done if I had to hold her on one of these trips. Thankfully that never happened. I am not joking when I say that our bus ride to DTD must have taken over 35 minutes. I have no idea where we went, but we did see A LOT of the Disney resorts. I could not believe how long it took, and was already dreading the bus ride home. Harper had fallen asleep on my step dad on the bus ride (after screaming for the first 15 minutes, sorry everyone!) so he was carrying her around when we finally got there. We decided to chance it and put her in the stroller. Much to my surprise, she stayed asleep and we were able to walk around. DTD was super busy and it was really hard to get around. It didn’t help that we were HANGRY, and were searching for a place to eat. We settled on Cookes of Dublin, and since the place seats about 20 people, we decided to sit outside. It felt pretty nice out. I got the gluten free fried fish sandwich. The fish was really good, but the bread? Not so much. It got all crumbly and fell apart. Fortunately, having celiac for 3.5 years now, I’m pretty used to this, so I just ate the bread by itself! Again, after the meal, I started to feel a little sick. I hung on though because I really wanted to go shopping!

My stepdad, nephew, and husband went off to the LEGO store, while my mom, sleeping Harper and I headed off to World of Disney (I think?). Of course, as soon as we got there Harper woke up and wanted out of the stroller, so I tried carrying her for a while, but the store was INSANELY busy. I was getting pretty stressed out trying to one arm hold her, and push the stroller around so I texted AJ and told him he needed to come retrieve her. There was a DJ outside and a ton of kids dancing so he took her so I could look around. There was so much I wanted, but I settled on a few things (including a Stitch stuffed animal for Harper since she loved him!), paid and went out to find them sitting and harper eating a banana. I had lost my mom ages ago, and she wasn’t responding to my texts because she was busy shopping, so we decided to leave. I could not believe the bus stop. Everything was so crowded and lines were everywhere. Harper was tired and I was tired, and just ready for the bus. The ride back was about only 10 minutes? So odd. We went to bed as soon as we got back and were preparing ourselves for our last park day! :(

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster
Day 8 (Park Day 6, Magic Kingdom AGAIN!) September 25th LAST DAY:

We woke up feeling a little somber about our last day in the parks, and decided to get breakfast from the Mara again.

IMG_6393.JPG

We went down together and I told AJ what I wanted, and waited outside with Harper who wanted to run all over the place and get in everyone’s way! Soon enough we were headed back up to the room to eat breakfast. My mom told us to just do our own thing today and don’t wait on them as they were going to rest some more. We had decided a few days before that we didn’t want to go back to Universal because there just wasn’t much to do, and we still wanted more time in MK! So that was the plan. We got ready and headed down to catch our last bus to the MK. It was kind of sad. I had a scary thought while on the bus ride.. “Oh no! We have NO fast passes for today!” it was a sad realization! We had FP’s for a ton of stuff before and this was our first day without ANY. I figured we’d wing it and see what happened!

We got off the bus, got Harper in her stroller, and headed in. We headed back to Tomorrowland and did the people mover first! Always a good start!

IMG_6650.JPG

Harper was looking tired and I wanted to see if they’d let us stay on because there was no one in line, but I got “scared” to ask, so I just got off. We decided to do CoP next because it was right there. Ouch. Not sure this was a good idea. I actually liked it and thought it was very cool, but Harper thought it was boring. She wanted to get down off my lap, and I was honestly afraid she would freak out. I got out her snack cup and managed to keep her happy until it was over. Next time I won’t do that with a small child!

Coming out of CoP AJ saw Stitch doing a M&G! He freaked! He LOVES him and practically ran over to the line. It wasn’t very long so we got in line! Shortly after a CM came over and warned us that Stitch was leaving soon for a milkshake and she didn’t know if we’d get a chance to meet him before he left. We were all pretty bummed, but I said to AJ “Let’s just wait it out. There is no one else in line so they MAY see us before he goes!” I’m glad we waited! The CM told us we could go ahead and go, and then he had to leave (which was perfect because we couldn’t have waited another 20 minutes with the sleepy child). This interaction made my trip! He saw Harper, and immediately saw her snack cup and I think he took it gently. He then kept trying to figure out how to get the food out! He was shaking it, and growling. It was too funny! He kept putting it in his mouth and munching on it! Harper loved it, and AJ did too! Finally we posed for a picture and graciously thanked the CM and Stitch and walked away smiling! Harper kept looking back and growling at him! My heart! SO SO CUTE!
IMG_6025.JPG

IMG_6017.JPG

IMG_6011.JPG

More to come....

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster
AJ then saw that the Buzz Lightyear line was empty and decided to ask what time Buzz would be back! It was only ten minutes so we let Harper run around for a bit and then got in line when they said we could. We were the third people in line! Harper was getting very sleepy, and thus grumpy. I thought we were going to have to leave the line, but luckily it was our turn! I decided not to be in these pics, and just take pictures with our camera. Harper wasn’t really sure what to think of Buzz, so she’s just “meh” in the pictures!
DSCN0463.JPG

Back in the stroller and we realized that she was out like a light almost immediately! We decided to stop at Auntie Gravity’s for some ice cream! (AJ also bought the R2D2 ears right before this and was now wearing them!) He got a cone, and I got the mocha coffee float. It was good, but so sweet I had to throw some of it away.

From here we walked leisurely over to Gaston’s Tavern because I had really wanted to check it out! We saw Gaston and got in line. Here comes a CM! He was going to get a “self portrait” and would be back in twenty minutes. Sigh. It’s not that important. So we went into the Tavern and got some ice water and had a seat while Harper was still sleeping.
DSCN0466.JPG

DSCN0471.JPG

It was pretty cool in there, but we got to leave after a little bit. We walked over to the Beauty and Beast gift shop. There were some cool things in there! B&TB is my favorite movie so I loved looking around. We didn’t get anything! After this we just walked around, and ended up going over to the Storybook area. We were looking around at the little water splash pad area, when lo and behold, I see my step dad! Talk about a small world! I said Hi! And they came over to catch up. We walked into the big store that looks like a circus tent and we looked around. AJ got another pair of sunglasses because he broke his first pair, and I got a really pretty key chain. Harper was awake now, so again we parted ways. I really wanted Harper to meet a princess but the lines were all crazy. I did make a FP for Tinkerbell that started in about 20 minutes. A few minutes later we saw my family standing outside of the little mermaid ride and decided to do it together. Harper LOVED it. It was colorful and there was a lot of music! After that we went our separate ways again and we headed back to the front of the park for Tinkerbell! I had no idea what to expect but Harper did pretty good. She just kind of started at her so Tink sat down on the ground. I eventually had to jump in because Harper was like “Okay mom…” I didn’t want in the picture because I was SOOOO HOT, but I jumped in. Today was excruciatingly hot again. I wasn’t really happy with the Photopass photographer who spent the first 20-30 second of our meet talking to the previous family. I finally blurted out “is she going to take our picture!??” because she had her back to us! She finally did turn around. At first all of the pictures didn’t show up on the app and I was pretty upset with what we had, but more appeared later, so I felt a little bit better about it.
tink.jpg

tink2.jpg

More on our last day to come!

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster
When we walked outside Snow White was there, but guesses what? The line was closed! We had pretty bad luck with that ALL DAY! We saw Marie across the way and decided to give that a try. I was so happy that we did! Harper loves cats!
DSCN0489.JPG

DSCN0487.JPG

At this point I knew we needed to feed ourselves and Harper so we went down to Casey’s Corner and got lunch. We grabbed a table outside in the corner and then realized that a parade was starting soon! They had gluten free hot dog buns, but the fries were not, so they gave me chips! I was happy with that. We ate outside for a LONG time waiting on the parade.
casey's.jpg

This cute little bird stared at us the whole time!
DSCN0492.JPG

Eventually the music picked up and the Festival of Fantasy (?) parade started! We really had GREAT seats, and we didn’t have to sit on the ground! Perfect! Harper was tired, but enjoyed the floats!
DSCN0496.JPG

Parade pictures are next!!

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster
I knew our day was about to wrap up, but I wanted to check POTC since it’s one of my all-time faves. We walked over and they said it was closed. HUGE BUMMER! They said it had done a soft opening but was only open a few times that day. Guess it’ll be a couple more years until I’m on it again! AJ really wanted a dole whip, so that was the next order of business! He got the dole whip float. Harper really liked it, but I thought it was just okay. I thought it was going to be more ice cream like, and less fruity, but it was refreshing! We walked back toward s the hub and got our Last picture in front of the castle. It was sad knowing we were about to leave and not come back! So we took as long as possible and meandered through the shops! I snapped a shot on AJ’s phone of the “See Ya Real Soon!” sign on the way out which I will have to get from him! We didn’t get to do a ton the last day but we were SO glad we went! We saw our first and only parade! We got to meet some characters, and we got to wonder around some more and take it all in!
family1.jpg

family.jpg

kiss.jpg

Last Glance!!!!
DSCN0497.JPG

We caught the bus back and sat next to some really nice people on the way back. The girl next to me was from San Diego, and had Celiac too! Once back we did the pool one last time and decided we better get up and get packed. We got dinner from the Mara and ate in the room. I really wanted to go down to the gift shop one last time so AJ watched her and I went down. It was SO BUSY! I forgot to mention that it was storming! BAD! They had gotten everyone out of the pool, so I guess everyone went there to hang out. I bought a few last minute things and headed back. AJ went down and they refunded him on his sunglasses that broke, which thought was really nice!

We packed up the stuff and went to bed. We woke up early the next morning. I had already returned our stroller and got the voicemail on our room phone that said there was no need to check out. So we called the bell hop and were packed in the car by 8am! My parents weren’t even out of bed yet, so we decided to just go ahead and leave. It was a long ride home. We did all 15 hours in one shot. I just wanted to be home, and Harper did REALLY well. We got home at midnight. I missed Disney, but it was nice to be in our own beds.

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster
I still have my Final reflections on this trip. That will be a post for tomorrow! And don't worry! I think some more pictures will be posted because i haven't seen all the photopass pictures, or my moms pictures! Thanks so much for anyone who's followed along thus far! I haven't written a trip report in a long time, and never for Disney, so I hope it wasn't boring!!!

catmom46

I still have my Final reflections on this trip. That will be a post for tomorrow! And don't worry! I think some more pictures will be posted because i haven't seen all the photopass pictures, or my moms pictures! Thanks so much for anyone who's followed along thus far! I haven't written a trip report in a long time, and never for Disney, so I hope it wasn't boring!!!

Far from boring! Great TR and looking forward to your final thoughts and more pics! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom