Who thinks the Magic Kingdom should have been named Disneyland

Tom

Beta Return
In California, they refer to the park as "Walt's original Magic Kingdom." The Florida project was occasionally referred to as Disneyland East, but more on an unofficial scale.

The property, as a whole, was to be called Disney World (until Roy added "Walt"). It would be extremely confusing to name the park within the property as Disneyland.

I think the Magic Kingdom is a perfect name for the park.

lazyboy97o

Disneyland was also called the Magic Kingdom since its inception. Not calling the park Disnelandprbably also reflected public statements from Walt that there would never be another Disneyland, but there would be another theme park.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
Disneyland was also called the Magic Kingdom since its inception. Not calling the park Disnelandprbably also reflected public statements from Walt that there would never be another Disneyland, but there would be another theme park.
True, in that sense I kind of prefer it that way if that's the case even you know they kind of let that one go

Goofyernmost

Why is anyone even asking that question? In all my years following Disney, never once have I heard anyone say that the wanted Magic Kingdom to be called Disneyland. There is only one Disneyland and there will always be only one Disneyland and that is the original. Nothing really to talk about. If Walt had wanted it to be Disneyland East, he would have said so.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Why is anyone even asking that question? In all my years following Disney, never once have I heard anyone say that the wanted Magic Kingdom to be called Disneyland. There is only one Disneyland and there will always be only one Disneyland and that is the original. Nothing really to talk about. If Walt had wanted it to be Disneyland East, he would have said so.

Maybe not just one:

Tokyo Disneyland
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Hong Kong
Shanghai Disneyland (2015)

Goofyernmost

Maybe not just one:

Tokyo Disneyland
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Hong Kong
Shanghai Disneyland (2015)
Yes, I know, but, that is because having two Disneylands in the same country would just cause unnecessary confusion to many who already confuse Disneyland and Disney World. The Disneyland, is still the only one that is identified by the name Disneyland with no locations listed. Or would we prefer Disneyland Orlando and Anaheim Disneyland?

Last edited:

raven

The property, as a whole, was to be called Disney World (until Roy added "Walt").

This is correct. Roy added "Walt" to Disney World as a tribute to his brother.

On opening day of MK, Roy took off and asked a boat driver to take him out into the lagoon before his speech. Employees thought he was about to end his life but he just wanted to reflect. As he walked up to give his dedication he grabbed Mickey by the hand and took him with him. This is why you see Mickey looking a little awkward in the photo of the dedication .

Sadly, Roy died only a month after MK opened.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Personally, I think the name of every park should start with Disneyland or have it in the name. So, here in 'Merica we'd have, Disneyland Magic Kingdom, Disneyland Disney's Islands of Hollywood Adventures Fun Stuff to do Park, Disneyland Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World, EPCOT's Disneyland of Tomorrow, Disney's California Adventure at Disneyland, and Disneyland Disneyland (D squared for short).

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Personally, I think the name of every park should start with Disneyland or have it in the name. So, here in 'Merica we'd have, Disneyland Magic Kingdom, Disneyland Disney's Islands of Hollywood Adventures Fun Stuff to do Park, Disneyland Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World, EPCOT's Disneyland of Tomorrow, Disney's California Adventure at Disneyland, and Disneyland Disneyland (D squared for short).

as per the original plan.

JIMINYCR

Magic Kingdom has always worked fine for me. Ever since I was little the name has always brought images of wonder, fascination, imagination, enchantment. Magic is the ability to make impossible things happen. So in my mind, Magic Kingdom was a perfect way to name such a park.

Brad Bishop

When I was a kid, during the 1970s and growing up in Florida, we always called the Magic Kingdom "Disneyworld". No one ever said, "We're going to the Magic Kingdom," they always said, "We're going to Disneyworld!"

Further, an idiot kid rivalry was sort of present with: "Well, California got Disneyland..," without saying it implying it's about the size of a county, "We got DisneyWORLD!!," again implying that we had a freakin' planet-sized theme park. We were young and stupid.

rob0519

Just the other day, one of my life long friends was telling me about a trip to Disney World they took a while back. He and his wife got into a disagreement on whether an attraction was in the Studios or Disney World. To them "Studios" means Universal and "Disney World" means Magic Kingdom. I just "Let it Go". Get it? Who cares if people know the correct names of the parks as long as they had an enjoyable time?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom