Who decides what goes into Innoventions?

Did Knee

Original Poster
I was wondering what the process is and who specifically suggests presenters and who makes the approvals. My interest is not entirely in passing. I have it on good authority that the SpaceX company would seriously consider providing a display for Innoventions if asked, but that they won't make the first move. I want to find somebody I can contact at TDO and put a bug in their ear about this. One of their Dragon space capsules on display there would be awesome I think.

Bairstow

I've been wondering the same thing myself. I thought the entire point of Innoventions was to constantly have new and interesting "free" attractions by creating a permanent home for the kinds of booths corporations are constantly putting together and then throwing away for things like the Consumer Electronics Show, E3, etc.

Now it seems like the same tired exhibits moulder there for years.

CES-small.jpg

CES.jpg

U166P5029T2D570533F24DT20130312161142.jpg

autonomous-car-130930.jpg

slappy magoo

Part of the problem with Innoventions is by the time someone takes the time to create a display for some wildly creative and innovative new thing, that thing is already obsolete, technology now moves that fast. Most of the things they used to showcase at Innoventions ("A way to turn on your oven and living room lights remotely...IN THE FUTURE!") can be purchased at Costco right now, and there haven't been any new wildly crazy things that a: have been invented that b: companies want to showcase at Epcot as opposed to, say, CES. And heaven forbid it's something in a very early test phase, that WON'T be able for years to come; what company wants to deal with their proprietary technology being out there for everyone to look at and copy before you've had a chance to profit from it? Oh, so WDW has something cool for people to look at on their way to Mission Space? Wow, that's worth it from a business standpoint!

Most of us have in our pockets right now a device that can access all of the information in the known universe, any song that's ever been recorded, billions of hours of movies and TV shows and kajillions of photos of cats looking up from boxes where they're trying to nap with snarky captions added underneath. It can amuse you, record pictures and video and audio. It can wake you up, lull you to sleep, remind you of things you don't want to forget from appointments to anniversaries, amuse you, challenge you, give you books to read, read TO you. It has more storage and RAM than my very first $1500 computer and is a heck of lot more portable at a tenth of the price. On any given day at WDW, as many people are looking down at their devices than they are soaking up the atmosphere and ambiance that people lost nights of sleep over in an attempt to grab your eye and spur your imagination. And it also makes phone calls. To an old fart like me, that's pretty much what the world's been leading up to. May as well make Innoventions a laser tag course.

Were it not for the fact that WDW has an entire park ostensibly set up to celebrate movies and TV, I'd say Innoventions would be great to showcase people new technologies being employed in movies yet to be reeleased. Then again, they're really not doing that sort of thing at DHS either anymore.

Last edited:

CP_alum08

Something tells me that if you call up anyone at TDO and tell then you have a great idea for a new display, you will get a "hey thanks" response and that will be the end of it. ESPECIALLY when you don't work for the company you are trying to promote.

On the bright side, I have a brother in school for aeronautical engineering and would love to work at spaceX (we watched the launch "together" on Friday) so if you could pass along your contacts info that's be great :)

AndyS2992

Going by the big disclaimer on all Disney contact pages:

NOTICE: We are pleased to hear from our guests and welcome your questions. However, be advised that our company policy does not allow us to accept or consider creative ideas, suggestions, or materials other than those that we have specifically requested.

They will most likely just disregard your ideas.

Bairstow

Going by the big disclaimer on all Disney contact pages:

NOTICE: We are pleased to hear from our guests and welcome your questions. However, be advised that our company policy does not allow us to accept or consider creative ideas, suggestions, or materials other than those that we have specifically requested.

They will most likely just disregard your ideas.

For copyright reasons, yes, but "consider talking to SpaceX about an Innovations booth" isn't a creative work that could be copyrighted.

...not that they're going to listen to him, but that particular policy of theirs doesn't apply in this situation.

AndyS2992

For copyright reasons, yes, but "consider talking to SpaceX about an Innovations booth" isn't a creative work that could be copyrighted.

...not that they're going to listen to him, but that particular policy of theirs doesn't apply in this situation.
But it is a suggestion which does fall under that policy lol

Bairstow

But it is a suggestion which does fall under that policy lol

It really wouldn't.
There are legal principles at the heart of that policy that allow Disney, and all companies, to accept general suggestions but not creative ideas that might constitute copyrightable work.

Did Knee

Original Poster
I'm still trying to figure out who "theoretically" the best point of contact would be. I really didn't want to create a thread to debate the current state of Innoventions. I'd rather take a shot at kicking it up a notch. Any suggestions of who at TDO I should lobby?

slappy magoo

It really wouldn't.
There are legal principles at the heart of that policy that allow Disney, and all companies, to accept general suggestions but not creative ideas that might constitute copyrightable work.
Right. The policy is mainly to protect Disney from someone claiming "hey, I once came up with an idea about a ride based on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride, I wrote it in crayon and mailed it to Mickey Mouse, you never replied and I know you stole my idea! Give me a billion dollars!"
However, because of the possibility, however remote, of someone going "hey it was my idea that SpaceX should have a display at Innoventions and now they do! Give me a billion dollars!" then really no one outside of either company should be involved. If SpaceX has a PR department or retains a PR firm, I'd think they would be the best people to make overtures to WDW regarding contributing to Innoventions, and that's assuming that the OP's contacts are correct, and that the high up muckety mucks at SpaceX would even want to do something like that.

But I suspect that, if true, then the idea of "we'll do it if asked, but only if we're asked" is a way of saying "we'll do it if it's free, but only if it's free." Someone can correct me, but I think the idea has always been that people pay to hawk their companies in Innoventions, they pay for the displays AND to essentially rent the space to display said display. If I'm right, then it becomes an issue of "would Disney give away prime real estate in Epcot in exchange for not being a retro-future museum? Or will they want a lot of money for the right for some other company to plaster their name all over Disney property? And if so, how much?"

lazyboy97o

I'm still trying to figure out who "theoretically" the best point of contact would be. I really didn't want to create a thread to debate the current state of Innoventions. I'd rather take a shot at kicking it up a notch. Any suggestions of who at TDO I should lobby?
You doing the lobbying is probably the best way to get the idea killed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom