White Plains/Westchester Airport Parking?

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
Hi all :wave:

So as I've said in a few other threads, we were thinking about taking jetblue out of the White Plains/Westchester County NY airport for our upcoming trip.
Now, we're almost positive we will take them.

We've never been to that airport and don't know much about it.

I saw this online and also just called and was told (by someone rude, might I add) that parking is a flat rate of $23.70 per day. In short, due to the length of our trip, we'd be paying more than $200 to park in total.

Are there any deals or parking packages I'm missing??

Thanks!

Shadowdawn

Depending on how far away from the airport you are, have you thought about looking into a towncar? If the price is comparable to what you would spend parking you might want to think about it. I know I wouldn't want to leave my car for a week somewhere I've never been before. Plus, you won't have to worry about being tired before/after your flight.

As for the airport, it's a nice little place. We took AirTran last Sept. from there.

miles1

We went through Jetblue at Westchester Airport on our last trip, last July. I will not do it again if I could avoid it. Actually, it was the second worst air travel experience I've had in 30 years.

The airport itself is fairly small, which can be advantageous, but the terminal and luggage handling infrastructure are too small for the volume they're trying to handle. Security check was a backed-up nightmare, with luggage lying everywhere and none of it being supervised.

As far as the parking goes, yes, it is that expensive. And be warned that the number of parking spaces is very limited, especially during the work week. (This is a business oriented airport, so a lot of flyers leave their cars over night or for two to three days.) There are also NO nearby off property parking lots. So you may arrive at the airport with your car and NOT BE ABLE TO PARK ANYWHERE. There are warnings about this on the airport website. I was lucky in that I was able to find a spot on a Saturday AM, but I REALLY had to look hard to find one. Again, I saw absolutely no security patrols in the parking garage.

As I said, this is a small airport, and they basically roll up the runways and shut off the lights at 9:00 PM. This caused a serious problem for us, as our return flight was delayed leaving Orlando and we didn't reach Westchester until nearly 1 AM. Unfortunately, our luggage went to San Juan, Puerto Rico along with most other passengers' as well. There was absolutely NO ONE IN THE AIRPORT TO HELP US. We had to leave the airport and call the Jetblue office about five times in the morning to find our luggage. When we left the airport, I literally had to WAKE UP the parking lot attendant, who got extremely rude, to get my car out of the garage.

Needless to say I'm not real happy about Westchester. If you really want to try it, I would strongly recommend that you have someone drive you there and drop you off. Also make sure that your return flight is early in the day, so in the event it's delayed, you won't be arriving after 9 PM.

Another alternative is Stewart airport in Poughkeepsie, which is also a small airport but much more efficiently run. It's actually a closed Airforce Base, so it's not quite as "pretty" as Westchester. They have tons of cheap parking right near the terminal (I think it as about $50 for seven days our last trip). Staff is very friendly and helpful.

Either way I hope you enjoy your trip.

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
Thanks for the insight guys.

shadowdawn - we have definitely considered that, but would be more comfortable for different reasons taking our own car even if it costs a little more.

miles1 - Wow! So sorry you had a less than magical experience at Westchester. It is always concerning to hear of lost luggage. But no matter where we go, that will always be a concern. Thanks for your suggestion of Poughkeepsie. We weren't necessarily looking for a small airport...just the closest one to us that had jetblue but wasn't JFK or Laguardia. We did hear about the possibility of no parking, as you said, which is another big concern. What happens if we get there and cannot park?? ahh!

We've got a lot of thinking to do!
My boyfriend knows someone who goes through there and parks at a nearby hotel for a smaller fee.
He is going to find out soon exactly how much.

tigsmom

It is a horrible, tiny airport with very little parking. If you must fly from there then take a cab or have somebody drop you off. My DD flies out of there to Tampa because our airport (Stewart in Newburgh) no longer flies to that area of Florida, if we had any other choice we would avoid it altogether. :zipit::zipit:

Stewart is larger and more modern that Westchester, has a very nice terminal (that was built in the past decade, no more going outside to board the planes), has great parking and everything is on their website for you to check out. It started it's life as a Air Force base and is now home to The Air National Guard as well as a regional airport.

It is NOT in Poughkeepsie as a previous poster stated, it's in Orange County not Dutchess (opposite sides of the Hudson). Not sure where you are, but you may have to cross over the Tappan Zee. Its 30 minutes from my home so going to Westchester for us is a trip, but we do what we have to do. :lol:

Shadowdawn

Depending on where in CT you, have you looked into Providence, RI? I'm from Mass. so that used to be my default airport. It's not small like White Plains but not huge and overwhelming like Boston or NY.

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
Depending on where in CT you, have you looked into Providence, RI? I'm from Mass. so that used to be my default airport. It's not small like White Plains but not huge and overwhelming like Boston or NY.

Thanks for the suggestion...never thought of that. I will check it out.

maelstrom

You can take Jet Blue from Stewart (it's in Newburgh, not Poughkeepsie) directly to Orlando. Everything there is relatively new... I remember flying out of there before they had a second level and jetbridges and you had to walk outside and up stairs to get on the plane (remember that, Tigsmom?). And there has always been plenty of parking everytime we've left the car there.

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
You can take Jet Blue from Stewart (it's in Newburgh, not Poughkeepsie) directly to Orlando. Everything there is relatively new... I remember flying out of there before they had a second level and jetbridges and you had to walk outside and up stairs to get on the plane (remember that, Tigsmom?). And there has always been plenty of parking everytime we've left the car there.

Ok so Newburgh not Poughkeepsie...the more I think about it, the more I'm realizing that it might be out of the way for us but I will check it out anyway...thanks.

miles1

Ok so Newburgh not Poughkeepsie...the more I think about it, the more I'm realizing that it might be out of the way for us but I will check it out anyway...thanks.

I don't know where in Connecticut you're coming from, but I'm in Danbury and it's equal distance for me (about 40 minutes) to Westchester and Newburgh. I actually like driving to Newburgh better-- I-684 always feels like "Deathrace 2000" to me, and I'm not known for driving slowly.

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
I don't know where in Connecticut you're coming from, but I'm in Danbury and it's equal distance for me (about 40 minutes) to Westchester and Newburgh. I actually like driving to Newburgh better-- I-684 always feels like "Deathrace 2000" to me, and I'm not known for driving slowly.

Well hello fellow CT resident!
We're near New Haven.
As I research I'm finding that it's really not worth it for us with our needs and expectations and out of our way to do White Plains or especially Newburgh.
Uggh looks like we'll be taking Southwest out of Bradley.
Love both SW and Bradley, just stinks how you don't have assigned seats with SW. Oh well.

Thanks everyone!

Shadowdawn

Well hello fellow CT resident!
We're near New Haven.
As I research I'm finding that it's really not worth it for us with our needs and expectations and out of our way to do White Plains or especially Newburgh.
Uggh looks like we'll be taking Southwest out of Bradley.
Love both SW and Bradley, just stinks how you don't have assigned seats with SW. Oh well.

Thanks everyone!

Hey fellow New Haveners! We're in West Haven. SW is a pretty decent airline, just make sure you check in early so you can get the good boarding passes to pick seats.

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
Hey fellow New Haveners! We're in West Haven. SW is a pretty decent airline, just make sure you check in early so you can get the good boarding passes to pick seats.

Oh hi there West Haven-er!

Yeah, SW is great for us and I know what you're saying about making sure you're early on everything.
I just can't stand the whole rush to get your boarding pass thing to be in A or B section.
Oh well...we'll deal I guess :lol:

miles1

Oh hi there West Haven-er!

Yeah, SW is great for us and I know what you're saying about making sure you're early on everything.
I just can't stand the whole rush to get your boarding pass thing to be in A or B section.
Oh well...we'll deal I guess :lol:

Can you still do on-line check in the night before with Southwest? The last few times we flew on Southwest (3 or 4 years ago), we were able to check in on line just after midnight the evening before our flight. We always wound up in group "A".

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
Can you still do on-line check in the night before with Southwest? The last few times we flew on Southwest (3 or 4 years ago), we were able to check in on line just after midnight the evening before our flight. We always wound up in group "A".

Yes - as far as I know, you can get your boarding pass as soon as 24 prior to your flight. And trust me...I go on ASAP to get it because we want first pick of seats and always wind up with "B"! Go figure :lol:

L2DAVI

Hello from Waterbury, CT. :wave: I prefer to go out of Newburgh / Stewart Airport.(1-1/2 hrs away, roughly). It is small but very, very nice. Everyone is friendly, etc.... We parked in the long term parking- via credit card and I think it was only $80? We were in FL from 10/26 - 11/2/07. If at all possible I travel from Newburgh. Not hard to find either. Hope this helps.

MichBiv

I just flew in/out of westchester, honestly unless the weather is bad, its my preferred airport. I always do early/late flights and never have had an issue with security lines or luggage. I live fairly close so getting a ride was never an issue so I don't know about parking prices, but I would say its a safe airport.

tigsmom

I just flew in/out of westchester, honestly unless the weather is bad, its my preferred airport. I always do early/late flights and never have had an issue with security lines or luggage. I live fairly close so getting a ride was never an issue so I don't know about parking prices, but I would say its a safe airport.

Then you are very lucky. You should have been there when there was mass panic because 3 flight were scheduled to go out at the same time and all those people were trying to get thru security, the line was out the terminal door! They were calling for last boarding for Orlando and many people were not even in the building yet! I would rather drive to Florida than use that place,but as I said earlier, it's our only option to send DD to Tampa unless we want to hit Newark or LaGuardia which is hours away.

thrupaytonseyes

I am from Danbury as well and fly Jetblue out of Westchester whenever possible. We have never had a problem with parking there(other than the huge fee). There have always been open spaces. We love it there, especially having young kids it makes it so much easier. The one time that the security line was long, they called out flight numbers and if you were on that flight they brought you through one security line and had the other line taking anybody else on line. The luggage arrives at the baggage carousel quickly and we are out the door. Stewart in Newburgh is really nice too but Westchester has a lot more options and direct flights with Jetblue and Airtran to Orlando than Stewart does and their times are better.

NancyinCt

Westchester airport

Hi,

You said you never had a parking problem at WC airport. Could you tell me what time you arrive there? Early am? Did you park in the garage area?

We're leaving from there in Nov. our flt departs at 6:40am and I'd be interested in getting there and get a parking spot or the 9 days, is the price still $22 a day?

Would really appreciate any info you have especially time of day, when you arrived at airport and how recently you use the facilities if you remember the daily rates.

Thanks in advance

Nancy in Ct

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom