Which Rides to Avoid If you have problems

SQLAgent

Original Poster
Hi, I have motion sickness and minor neck issues but I still want to experience Disney World. I can't handle rides that do crazy stuff like drops, flips, spinning/rotating, riding up-side-down, or too fast. I tried to find the information on Disney World's site but didn't have much luck or detail. By word of mouth I was told to avoid Rock and Roll, Tower of Terror, and Mission Space something but I just wanted to check with the experts here if they know what else to avoid. Thanks!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Hi, I have motion sickness and minor neck issues but I still want to experience Disney World. I can't handle rides that do crazy stuff like drops, flips, spinning/rotating, riding up-side-down, or too fast. I tried to find the information on Disney World's site but didn't have much luck or detail. By word of mouth I was told to avoid Rock and Roll, Tower of Terror, and Mission Space something but I just wanted to check with the experts here if they know what else to avoid. Thanks!
Not sure how serious your issue is, for example, can you do some coasters but not others?

A conservative list would be:

MK
Space Mountain (rough with hard turns)
Splash Mountain (maybe? Rather smooth, but there are some small drops and one very large one at the end)
Big Thunder Mountain (fast turns and drops)
Barnstormer (Fast turns and drops)
Seven Drawfs Mine Train (Maybe? Smooth ride, from what I've heard (I haven't ridden it yet), but does have fast turns)
Astro Orbiters (Maybe? It's smooth, but disorienting due to it's height)
Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin (maybe? It's actually rather smooth and while there are some times when the ride spins on it's own, it's not very intense. During the rest of the ride you can control your "spin rate".)

EP
Mission Space (Everything you listed this ride does)
You should be fine with Test Track, as it's actually rather smooth, but during some of the scenes it does whip side to side a bit and take turns quickly.

HS
Tower of Terror (fast drops and shakes you)
Rockin' Roller Coaster (fast turns and goes upside down)
Star Tours (maybe...minor shaking on that ride, it's a simulator)
Toy Story Midway Mania (maybe...it's rather smooth, but it whips around corners pretty quickly...smoothly, but quickly)

AK
Everest (maybe? fast drops)
Dinosaur (maybe? very rocky experience)
Primeval Whirl (a very rough, spinning, tight turn with drops mad mouse coaster...I don't have your conditions and I don't like it, if that says anything!)

Last edited:

Skooterkid

Also consider motion sickness with this one

I'd agree, do NOT do Star Tours. My dad and sister are fine with every ride at WDW, but this one always makes them feel very sick. @englanddg 's list is very accurate as far as I can see, and even if you skip every one of those rides, you'll still have a wonderful time, I know! Disney World is as much about the atmosphere and escapism and just being there, so do not feel the need to have to race from ride to ride, just enjoy the experience! :)

Matt_Black

Many with motion sickness can't do Soarin', so I've been told. My sister, for one, never goes on it after a bad experience.

Also, have you considered consulting with your doctor? While it's unlikely he's familiar with every single ride at WDW, he could give you a good idea of what sorts of rides to avoid in general, and then you can check that with the info board at the front of each ride.

SQLAgent

Original Poster
Not sure how serious your issue is, for example, can you do some coasters but not others?

MK
Splash Mountain (maybe? Rather smooth, but there are some small drops and one very large one at the end)
Seven Drawfs Mine Train (Maybe? Smooth ride, from what I've heard (I haven't ridden it yet), but does have fast turns)
Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin (maybe? It's actually rather smooth and while there are some times when the ride spins on it's own, it's not very intense. During the rest of the ride you can control your "spin rate".)

EP
You should be fine with Test Track, as it's actually rather smooth, but during some of the scenes it does whip side to side a bit and take turns quickly.

HS
Toy Story Midway Mania (maybe...it's rather smooth, but it whips around corners pretty quickly...smoothly, but quickly)

AK
Primeval Whirl (a very rough, spinning, tight turn with drops mad mouse coaster...I don't have your conditions and I don't like it, if that says anything!)

MK

EP

HS

AK

Thanks for the list! I can handle most fast turns but the drops, upside down stuff, and back flipping stuff is what really kills me.

SQLAgent

Original Poster
Many with motion sickness can't do Soarin', so I've been told. My sister, for one, never goes on it after a bad experience.

Also, have you considered consulting with your doctor? While it's unlikely he's familiar with every single ride at WDW, he could give you a good idea of what sorts of rides to avoid in general, and then you can check that with the info board at the front of each ride.

This was one of the very few rides I did years ago and the only one I can remember and I was fine with it. It was actually enjoyable.

DisneyGirl3820

Star Tours, Tower of Terror and....Dinosaur. Dinosaur is a sensory overload. Loud, dark, jerky ride. Flashing lights, up and down/side-to-side motion. Need I say more? I felt sick the rest of the day after going on that ride.

bethymouse

The only ride I have ever really felt sick after riding is Mission Space- orange version. But, I can handle the green version.

habuma

It depends. I get motion sickness riding in the passenger's seat to the grocery store, but I can handle pretty much everything that I've ridden at Disney World. The worst I've dealt with is feeling disoriented after riding Expedition Everest two times in a row (no line, walked off and back on). I'd imagine that Mad Tea Party would give me problems, but every time I've ridden it, I've kept my eyes locked on my camera while video'ing my kids. Picking a relatively stationary thing to stare at helps in that case. On the other hand, my wife doesn't get motion sickness under most circumstances, but can't do Mad Tea Party or Star Tours.

zeebs758

In the Parks
Yes
I have pretty bad motion sickness but Dramamine helps with most rides. The only ride I definitely will not do is Mission: Space. The rides where I get somewhat motion sick are RnR Coaster and Tower of Terror. I actually find Star Tours to give me the worst nausea but I can't skip that ride, its too much fun.

momof1princess

Might want to watch out for Stitch at MK also, it's not a ride really, but the shoulder harness messed with my neck a bit. I think someone who has been on it more than once might have more info...it goes up and down to simulate bouncing.

JohnHangen

Star Tours bothers my motion sickness. I can do the green Mission Space, but nearly threw up on the orange one (ride ended just in time). Space Mountain is fun but it's a rough ride - I have a tweaky back and do ride it, but it always worries me when I do so.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom