Which is your favorite Animation movie of all time ?

Phroobar

An animated movie that most people never heard of is called Twice Upon a Time (1983). This was executive produced by George Lucas and is a send up of fairy tales. Two wannabe heroes must stop a madman from giving everyone nightmares. Very unique animated look. It reminds me of the old Jay Ward fractured fairy tales stuff.

257715_full.jpg

Magenta Panther

Since this topic also includes non-Disney animated favorites, mine is Spirited Away. I've watched that soooooo many times. And the DVD I've got includes a behind-the-scenes extra created by a Japanese TV station whose crew filmed the production of the film by Studio Ghibli. Fascinating. Miyazaki is a freaking genius.

Phroobar

Speaking of Transformers ('86) I also love the GI Joe movie from the same year. That opening scene was fantastic!
As for Japanese magna, I like Ghost in the Shell and Akria and some of the Robotech stuff.

Matt_Black

Speaking of Transformers ('86) I also love the GI Joe movie from the same year. That opening scene was fantastic!

Too bad you then have to watch the rest of the movie. Aside from the scene where Sgt. Slaughter beats up Nemesis Enforcer* and where Duke [strike]dies[/strike] gets injured, the film is admittedly a mess.

"This is for Gung-Ho, Alpine, and Bazooka! This is for Falcon! This is for me! This is for Duke! And THIS is for the U.S. of A!"

Matt_Black

I don't think American Tail holds up very well. The pacing in the story is off in many places. Like, in the beginning, when Fievel is sold to a sweatshop. That's horrible, right? Or, it would be, if they spent any time showing him slaving under grueling conditions. Instead, in the very next scene, he escapes. And it's not even that hard! You suspect that all the other orphans there are absolute morons, because Fievel ain't the sharpest tool in the drawer, and if HE can get out.... What should be a stirring moment of ingenuity and determination over adversity becomes something no more dramatic than someone walking up some stairs.

And there is stuff like that all over the place in that movie. Big moments aren't earned.

champdisney

I don't think American Tail holds up very well. The pacing in the story is off in many places. Like, in the beginning, when Fievel is sold to a sweatshop. That's horrible, right? Or, it would be, if they spent any time showing him slaving under grueling conditions. Instead, in the very next scene, he escapes. And it's not even that hard! You suspect that all the other orphans there are absolute morons, because Fievel ain't the sharpest tool in the drawer, and if HE can get out.... What should be a stirring moment of ingenuity and determination over adversity becomes something no more dramatic than someone walking up some stairs.

And there is stuff like that all over the place in that movie. Big moments aren't earned.
o_O

I never minded the pacing. Let's remember that An American Tail is a children's film where in most cases your average kid won't notice nor care about pacing. Anyways my list of personal favorites remain the same. It's really silly for someone to try to dictate what movies I should like. No offense but do you purposely look to engage in arguements on here? Please not with me.

I think An American Tail is a beautiful film that reflects on what many young immigrant children had to go through in those times. It gets me right in the "feels" each time I have the privilege of watching it. The sequel is great also.

Phroobar

Never liked either American Tail movie when I was a kid even though I loved other Don Bluth movies like Secret of Nim and All Dogs go to Heaven. I just always put American Tail in the same baby aimed camp as The Land before Time movies. Fievel's play land at Universal was fun though.

Figments Friend

For Disney animated films, my preferences are all traditionally animated.
All time faves would be Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, the Lion King, and The Little Mermaid.
I also really enjoy Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Brother Bear, The Princess & The Frog, and Treasure Planet.
For Disney related CGI / Pixar films , Monsters Inc. and a Bugs Life are the two highlights for me.

For non-Disney animation, I have always loved Steven Lisbergers' 'Animalympics'.
Look it up sometime...the wacky characters, satire, animation and visuals are a treat.
The soundtrack is absolutely a stellar effort too by Graham Goldman.
The songs and musical arrangements are terrific!

Other favorite non-Disney efforts would be by Don Bluth's organizations, including 'The Secret of NIMH' and the original 'An American Tail'.
His later effort 'Titan A.E.' was also a nice surprise and had some neat sequences.

For non-Disney CGI animation, a big favorite is 'Surf's Up' by Sony Animation.
A mockumentary about surfing, it stars various penguin personalities and features some great animation.
A lot of fun with a nice emotional touch, it is well worth checking out.

I also really like the original 'Kung Fu Panda' by Dreamworks Animation.
A good story with some excellent animation and background work.
It hits some nice meaningful moments, too.

-

Last edited:

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
For Disney animated films, my preferences are all traditionally animated.
All time faves would be Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, the Lion King, and The Little Mermaid.
I also really enjoy Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Brother Bear, The Princess & The Frog, and Treasure Planet.
For Disney related CGI / Pixar films , Monsters Inc. and a Bugs Life are the two highlights for me.

For non-Disney animation, I have always loved Steven Lisbergers' 'Animalympics'.
Look it up sometime...the wacky characters, satire, animation and visuals are a treat.
The soundtrack is absolutely a stellar effort too by Graham Goldman.
The songs and musical arrangements are terrific!

Other favorite non-Disney efforts would be by Don Bluth's organizations, including 'The Secret of NIMH' and the original 'An American Tail'.
His later effort 'Titan A.E.' was also a nice surprise and had some neat sequences.

For non-Disney CGI animation, a big favorite is 'Surf's Up' by Sony Animation.
A mockumentary about surfing, it stars various penguin personalities and features some great animation.
A lot of fun with a nice emotional touch, it is well worth checking out.

I also really like the original 'Kung Fu Panda' by Dreamworks Animation.
A good story with some excellent animation and background work.
It hits some nice meaningful moments, too.

-
It's not very often that I see someone say they enjoy Brother Bear. I mostly see a lot of people bunch it together with Home on the Range and Chicken Little as one of the worst. Personally, I'm okay with the movie, but I'd like to hear why you list it here.

Figments Friend

Brother Bear is far better then either of those other films people seem to lump it together with.
I thought it was well done and a return to form.
Home On The Range was utter garbage, as was Chicken Little in my opinion.
It is disgraceful to lump a excellent effort like Brother Bear into that sort of company.

Treasure Planet was another winner in a sea of mediocrity.
If it has just been released a couple of years later, it would have been a smash due to the success of the first 'Pirates of The Caribbean' film.

I remember back at the time when Brother Bear when was released, it was drowned in a sea of multiple CGI offerings from various studios and the public kind of passed it over solely because it was 'traditionally' animated.
Some moviegoers were really bias at the time about stuff like that, as Pixar's success had made the general public thinking in the mentality that CGI = Good, Trad = Bad.
Other studios exploited that perception.

At the time, Disney's traditionally animated offerings were stumbling a bit ( Atlantis, etc. ) and when Brother Bear was finally released, a lot of viewers had moved on and assumed it was yet another 'weak' offering.
Reminds me of the old saying, 'Once bitten, twice shy'.
It was a real shame as the film is well done and has a great story.
The animation is well done and the background artwork is beautiful.

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom