1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Which ice cream shoppe?

Discussion in 'WDW Restaurants and Dining' started by Twoprincesses116, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Twoprincesses116

Twoprincesses116 Active Member

Want to take kids out for ice cream one evening. Should we try for Beaches and Cream or just go to Ghirardelli's since we're going to Disney Springs one evening?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    3WaltFans likes this.
  2. Tuvalu

Tuvalu Premium Member

Since you are already planning to go to Disney Springs, Ghirardelli's would be easier of the two choices. Beaches and Cream has a take-out counter (if you can't get an ADR) but unless you are staying in the Epcot resort area and can walk to B&C it can be a time-consuming challenge to get there.

3WaltFans and Disney4family like this.
  3. helenabear

helenabear Well-Known Member

Better than both of those IMO is Ample Hills at the Boardwalk. If I had to pick between the two you listed, I would do Ghirardelli. As an FYI Beaches an Cream serves Edy's (kind of inexpensive at the grocery stores) and save the full kitchen sink, is the same stuff served at the Ice Cream Parlor on Main St. You just have to create the sundaes yourself there.

Kevin_W and Mark P. like this.
  4. Mark P.

Mark P. Well-Known Member

Ample Hills, hands down.

helenabear likes this.
  5. MansionButler84

MansionButler84 Premium Member

Absolutely Ample Hills.

$12 for an ice cream sundae from Ghirardelli that includes icy ice cream? No thanks.

Beaches and Cream is Edy's ice cream in a nicely-themed broom closet.

Ample Hills is cheaper than Ghirardelli and provides a better product than both.

hooch, alissafalco and helenabear like this.
  6. DisneyJill

DisneyJill Active Member

we just did the kitchen sink on our last trip, and while it was FUN and has quite the fanfare, the sundae itself is a hot mess with really contradictory flavors. i much prefer the no way jose. the kids had a great time, but next time we'll probably do ample hills instead. :)

helenabear likes this.
  7. 3WaltFans

3WaltFans Well-Known Member

Ghirardelli's is our personal choice when we visit Disney, which i will be having tomorrow afternoon.

21stamps, Zipitidoda and RoyWalley like this.
  8. Disney Khi

Disney Khi New Member

If you are in the Epcot resort area, do Ample Hills. It's amazing ice cream. If you are not going to be there but will be at Disney Springs, do Ghiradelli. I always enjoy their sundaes.

9. Kevin_W

Kevin_W Well-Known Member

The chocolate lovers kitchen sink is the way to go!

Ample hills is much better ice cream, but my daughter still talks about when we did the kitchen sink 2-3 years ago. We have really good ice cream locally, but we don't have anything like that.

DisneyJill likes this.
  10. NiarrNDisney

NiarrNDisney Well-Known Member

Ample Hills (BWR), the Fountain (Dolphin) and Plaza Ice Cream Parlor (MK) always get my vote!

alissafalco likes this.
  11. alissafalco

alissafalco Well-Known Member

Im with you on B&C, my local Friendlys is a 1000x better than B&C. Ive also boycotted Ghirardelli ever since they got rid of the gold rush and no longer sell anything with peanut butter in it. Ample Hills is the way to go!!

MansionButler84 likes this.
  12. RoyWalley

RoyWalley Well-Known Member

Agree 100% with Ghirardelli's. Have one for me.

3WaltFans likes this.
  13. MotherofaPrincessLover

MotherofaPrincessLover Well-Known Member

I'm excited to try Ample Hills on my trip.

14. bigrigross

bigrigross Member

You wont regret it. My wife and I decided to check out the DVC resorts on the boardwalk area and we came across ample hills by mistake. Best mistake ever. If I remember right, most everything there was considered a snack credit I believe as well if you are doing DDP.

Edit: The small cup of ice-cream and small cone are DDP eligible. But to be honest, it was a lot for what they consider a small.

15. Mickey5150

Mickey5150 Well-Known Member

All ice cream in WDW is awesome, so you can't go wrong. What i think is wrong is when people try to limit their ice cream to just once. I will add that if you are in WDW during the F&W fesitval, stop by the festival center and pick up some free Ghiradelli chocolate and coupons to use in Disney Springs. Mmmmm, ice cream.

3WaltFans likes this.
  16. Mickey5150

Mickey5150 Well-Known Member

One place I forgot to mention is L'Artisan des Glaces in France. It has the greatest ice cream sandwich that has EVER been invented. A warm brioche bun wrapped around you choice of ice cream and filled with your choice of sauce. Croque Glace, which I am pretty sure is French for "Ice Cream Sandwich on Crack." If you have never had one, then you have not truly lived.

hooch and Jae99 like this.
  17. becca_

becca_ Well-Known Member

Lol, so true!!

I know B&C isn't anything special but it just feels so quaint in there, like I've been transported to an old time soda fountain. Haven't tried Ample Hills - it's on my list for January!

Mickey5150 likes this.
  18. Matt in the Hatt

Matt in the Hatt Well-Known Member

Ample hills is the best ice cream i have ever had

19. helenabear

helenabear Well-Known Member

Just go to the grocery store and buy Edy's yourself. Throw in a bunch of flavors that don't blend well and voila!

Oddly I was less than impressed with it myself. Maybe people hyped it up too much but I did not like the bun with it.

20. Kevin_W

Kevin_W Well-Known Member

We got the chocolate lover's kitchen sink, which at least blends well. The original is gross. :)

I was surprised that I enjoyed the ice cream sandwich at L'Artisan. Ice cream on warm bread sounded weird, but we really enjoyed it.