Which Hotel?

RMichael21

Original Poster
We're planning on being in WDW towards the end of July, but we're faced with a dilemma. We'll be visiting family in Florida and will be taking a side trip to WDW and UOR for 3 days (2 in WDW and 1 at UOR) and 4 nights. We've been to WDW many times, our last visit was in 2015 for just a day (just MK). Our last full, vacation there was in 2013. Our last visit to UOR was in January 2011. Also, it's just 2 of us this trip. For hotels, we have a few options:

1. Stay at a UOR Hotel. Our options would be Sapphire Falls (opens just a few weeks before we arrive) or Royal Pacific. We'll definitely purchasing express pass, so would the extra hundred bucks per night be worth it for the free express pass? Obviously, the perks are a plus with the $150 dining credit for booking 4 nights, early admission and (maybe) express pass. Obviously a downside is the 30 minute commute without traffic to WDW.

2. Stay at WDW. Obviously, the perks would be great (like booking FP 60 days in advance). However, it doesn't seem that there are going to be any EMH on our dates for the parks we plan on visiting each day. Also, WDW is significantly more expensive, which is a concern for such a short trip. Is just FP booking dates a big enough perk? In addition, we're looking to stay at possible the Polynesian or the Swan/Dolphin.

3. The Marriott World Center. We've stayed here before and loved it. VERY short commute to WDW (just across the highway from WDW). It's obviously much cheaper (we can use points), but without perks at any of the parks, we're having a hard time deciding.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

To your main question, I'd stay off property. I don't think the cost of staying on property is worth it for only two days at WDW when you won't be using Magical Express or have time to get the most out of resort amenities. Save the money.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
We're planning on being in WDW towards the end of July, but we're faced with a dilemma. We'll be visiting family in Florida and will be taking a side trip to WDW and UOR for 3 days (2 in WDW and 1 at UOR) and 4 nights. We've been to WDW many times, our last visit was in 2015 for just a day (just MK). Our last full, vacation there was in 2013. Our last visit to UOR was in January 2011. Also, it's just 2 of us this trip. For hotels, we have a few options:

1. Stay at a UOR Hotel. Our options would be Sapphire Falls (opens just a few weeks before we arrive) or Royal Pacific. We'll definitely purchasing express pass, so would the extra hundred bucks per night be worth it for the free express pass? Obviously, the perks are a plus with the $150 dining credit for booking 4 nights, early admission and (maybe) express pass. Obviously a downside is the 30 minute commute without traffic to WDW.

2. Stay at WDW. Obviously, the perks would be great (like booking FP 60 days in advance). However, it doesn't seem that there are going to be any EMH on our dates for the parks we plan on visiting each day. Also, WDW is significantly more expensive, which is a concern for such a short trip. Is just FP booking dates a big enough perk? In addition, we're looking to stay at possible the Polynesian or the Swan/Dolphin.

3. The Marriott World Center. We've stayed here before and loved it. VERY short commute to WDW (just across the highway from WDW). It's obviously much cheaper (we can use points), but without perks at any of the parks, we're having a hard time deciding.

If Sapphire Falls had the same bus transportation system as Cabanas, stay at Royal Pacific. Uni's bus transportation made Disney's look like the bullet train in Japan. We visited Uni last July. Of the 11 buses they run, only 5 had functioning A/C and of those 5, only 3 had functioning scooter/wheelchair lifts. Yes, Uni's buses have a lift to hoist someone in a scooter/wheelchair onto their buses. And they only have space for one scooter/chair. There were 4 in scooters, my injured daughter included, at the bus stop; the other 3 were in the same party. Needless to say, it took almost 90 minutes before we could get on a bus. The buses drop you off at the Uni parking garage. So we had to wait for an available elevator to get upstairs.

Stay at Royal Pacific. You can either take the boat over or walk...it's about a 15 minute walk.

RMichael21

Original Poster
If Sapphire Falls had the same bus transportation system as Cabanas, stay at Royal Pacific. Uni's bus transportation made Disney's look like the bullet train in Japan. We visited Uni last July. Of the 11 buses they run, only 5 had functioning A/C and of those 5, only 3 had functioning scooter/wheelchair lifts. Yes, Uni's buses have a lift to hoist someone in a scooter/wheelchair onto their buses. And they only have space for one scooter/chair. There were 4 in scooters, my injured daughter included, at the bus stop; the other 3 were in the same party. Needless to say, it took almost 90 minutes before we could get on a bus. The buses drop you off at the Uni parking garage. So we had to wait for an available elevator to get upstairs.

Stay at Royal Pacific. You can either take the boat over or walk...it's about a 15 minute walk.
Sapphire Falls is being connected to the water taxi route, so there's that.

Daveeeeed

Well first off Universal Orlando 1 day is 1 trillion% a rip off plus you have zero chance of doing all your top things at both parks (if you plan on going to both) I highly recommend spending a little bit more for the 2 day pass as it is beyond worth it. Really won't be wasting your money there, but if time is an issue obviously there is nothing you can do.

RMichael21

Original Poster
Well first off Universal Orlando 1 day is 1 trillion% a rip off plus you have zero chance of doing all your top things at both parks (if you plan on going to both) I highly recommend spending a little bit more for the 2 day pass as it is beyond worth it. Really won't be wasting your money there, but if time is an issue obviously there is nothing you can do.
We've been before, so we only plan on hitting our favorites from last time and new things.

Daveeeeed

We've been before, so we only plan on hitting our favorites from last time and new things.
If you are certain ranks in the military the Shades of Green is an incredible resort for the price. Usually about 160-180 a night & and while it seems like a lot it is comparable with wilderness lodge, but the location makes it not on the monorail, but it is super clean, you get great rates for the parks (WDW, uof, SW, etc.) if you are looking on a tight budget the all star movies is honestly pretty impressive for the money, and obviously art of animation. As for Fastpass+ if you book the night before and you aren't going Christmas week, we've had no problem with getting most of what we want. We went to magic Kingdom January 3rd of this year a Sunday, so it was super packed, but we got big thunder, and space mountain. (We just went near park closing to splash, and did space mountain again with a 15 minute wait. We skipped 7dmt as that ride is so short for what you get, and it wasn't an option for FP+, so we got Peter Pan instead), but 60 days in advance would be a phenomenal way to go for sure, but if you are looking at the Polynesian, a super deluxe resort which btw is still as beautiful as eve (even with the changes that took away the water). I highly recommend it. Can't say anything bad about it besides the cost. If you are spending pretty much zero time at the hotel it might not be worth the money, but the monorail paired with the incredible theming is worth it in my opinion if you are not going to struggle paying for it. Using Fastpass+ is great 60 days in advance like I've said, and you are certain to get what you want, but again it won't make a huge difference if you have the ability to book it the iger before. Good luck!

TXDisney

We did a 10 day trip to WDW and UO a few years ago. My parents booked their timeshare from the Saturday to Saturday for the 4 of us. I've stayed at WDW before but really got into staying at the resorts recently, plus it's free to stay at the timeshare so you can't beat that. Bc it was cheaper we decided to go the Thursday morning previous and stay at Royal pacific. At this time we had no clue it included the passes to skip lines. And I'll be honest... Those passes made it too convenient. We arrived at the hotel at like 9:45 and our room was ready so we quickly put our stuff there and headed to the park. We were probably inside UO at 10:30 and I'm not lying that we rode every rude we cared to in both sides by 2:30. We found ourselves saying well crap we planned on going there 3 days but at that rate will rise every ride 4 times in those 1st 2 days. Made the 2nd day and mainly the 3rd day when we went back with my parents not as awesome. That's the best part of WDW is you can go for a whole week and still not do everything you want. With staying at UO at a resort with those passes, you can do everything in hours nevermind days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom