Where to stay for trip with 2 toddlers

k.hunter30

Original Poster
I would love any and all advice you may have...

My husband and I plan to take our two kiddos (at the time of the trip, son will be almost 3, daughter will be 20 months) and my parents to WDW this fall. I have only ever stayed on property, but am thinking perhaps it would be better to stay off? WDW rooms are not cheap, and I'm certain we could get a condo/house with a pool for $99 a night that could sleep all of us. However, we then of course would need to rent a car and pay for parking.

What are your thoughts on where to stay? On property or off, in our situation. If on, where?

nolatron

Last November the wife, myself and our 2 year old stayed at the Buena Vista Suites resort off grounds and enjoyed it. We're currently planning a stay there for Labor Day again.

We got the queen room so you get two queen beds in the bedroom and the sofabed in the living room. A door seperates the living room from the bed and bathroom area, which we really like so the kiddo can nap/sleep while we stay up in the bedroom.

Price was very good, room was clean, staff was friendly, free breakfast was good, and I loved the location. It's an easy drive with barely any lights to the parks.

If you don't want a rental car they do have free shuttle service to the parks. My Daughter and I used on the first day while the wife had the car. It's a full size bus (like the Magical Express ones) that stops at each park going there.

Coming back it made a couple stops at the the resort next door for each building before going back to the BVS hotel. It only runs a few times in the morning and then again a few times at night, so you'll be stuck at the parks all day until the first evening return trip. But they were really comfy and had cartoons playing at night.

bamillerpa

I personally prefer to stay on property. What about the value suites? You would be able to fit everyone and still get all the perks of staying on property. I love getting the extra hours and having my credit card attached to my room key. I also like getting free dining when it's offered. If it was affordable for you I would recommend staying at a resort that offers monorail service simply for the ease of getting to at least two of the parks. MK and Epcot are our two favorites so this works well for us. I don't know how much the cabins at Fort Wilderness cost but they would have enough room for you and you would have a boat to the MK. With two young kids I would think you would want it to be easy to travel to and from the parks so staying on property seems ideal to me but that's just my opinion. I'm sure you will have a great trip wherever you end up staying:)

nolatron

I personally prefer to stay on property. What about the value suites? You would be able to fit everyone and still get all the perks of staying on property. I love getting the extra hours and having my credit card attached to my room key. I also like getting free dining when it's offered. If it was affordable for you I would recommend staying at a resort that offers monorail service simply for the ease of getting to at least two of the parks.

[snip]

I can't speak for the OP of course but as a parent getting a 1BR suite with a separate bedroom for less than $90/night is a bigger perk than anything Disney can offer for me.

We also prefer driving to the parks ourselves these days rather than rely on WDW transportation. Just easier when dealing with a toddler and a stroller.

Bri1121

I have only once stayed off site when DH's parents took us all along time ago. And although it was fine, we were in the park all day until night. Which again was fine but we had no little kids.

IMO staying in the park is part of the experience. But besides that the convenience of it, with two kids, is worth the money. Staying close to MK would be my first choice but any of the villa resorts could accommodate all of you. Also the Swan and Dolphin (Epcot resorts) usually run good deals.

Either way you will have a good time but time and money do go into staying off site as well.

k.hunter30

Original Poster
Thank you all! I have to agree with the last poster in that, while staying on property CERTAINLY is a necessary part of the magic, it may just not be the best option when you have two toddlers. .

Unfortunately, the Value suites don't seem a good option to us. From what I've seen, there is only one queen bed and the rest of the sleeping areas are pull-outs. If I'm going to shell out all that money, I definitely don't want to be sleeping on a couch.

We would LOVE to stay in one of the monorail resorts again and were even planning on it, but I just don't know if we can stomach paying what they charge for two rooms.

Looks like we have more research to do!

zipoff

We just got back from a trip with a 2 (almost 3) year old and a 13 month old.

At my DW's insistance, we stayed off property in a townhome. Even factoring in parking, we came out far cheaper than on property. We had 3 bedrooms. Each kid had a room and we had a king bed for us. The sheer amount of space made it well worth it. When we came back at night the kids were able to go to sleep (or in my son's case, watch a movie in bed because "I'm not tired") and we were able to stay up and chat, and unlike when we stayed at CBR, when one kid woke up, the other didn't.

I honestly don't know that we'll be staying on property until the kids are much older and can handle a park from opening until close.

We came back and actually felt like we had a vacation, as opposed to the last time, when we absolutely exhausted from one kid or the other staying up late and keeping everyone up, or getting up early and waking us all up.

HouCuseChickie

It all really comes down to the price you're willing to pay for convenience. We always stayed off property until this last trip b/c I liked the savings, but this last trip was also the first time going with two young children. The convenience was a blessing come nap time and made it worth the extra $.

If you do stay off property and drive to the parks, you might consider investing in a AAA diamond parking pass. From what I recall, it doesn't cover parking costs but if spots are open it gets you closer to park entrances- which is helpful if you're lugging around a stroller and bags of "stuff" for the kids.

jennc2001

Thank you all! I have to agree with the last poster in that, while staying on property CERTAINLY is a necessary part of the magic, it may just not be the best option when you have two toddlers. .

Unfortunately, the Value suites don't seem a good option to us. From what I've seen, there is only one queen bed and the rest of the sleeping areas are pull-outs. If I'm going to shell out all that money, I definitely don't want to be sleeping on a couch.

We would LOVE to stay in one of the monorail resorts again and were even planning on it, but I just don't know if we can stomach paying what they charge for two rooms.

Looks like we have more research to do!

We always stay at Pop Century and they have 2 Queen (or maybe full size) beds. It's plenty of room for us because the only time we're in the room is to sleep so we don't need any extras.

Bri1121

A friend of ours just stayed a week there with two small kids( 4 and 15 months) off property and had a great time. She missed staying in the park and the Disney transportation but it was still a good trip. Her mom has some time share and they have a place right out side Disney. So they got to stay for free. She did say that driving back and forth felt like it wasted time but taking the buses to places can be timely too. The kids slept fine as they both had there own rooms but would nap in the car and never get back to sleep. So they wasted some time trying to leave the park to go for a nap. They had park hoppers so could go and come as they pleased and she said thats a must. Since it was free she could not complain but said she would definitely stay in the park next time.

The last time we went- kids were 4 and 15 months we never went back to the room for a nap. The younger one slept on and off in the stroller and if he was out and we were about to get on a ride, my husband and I would wait with him. My daughter who was 4 I think slept once in the stroller and that was through a show. We had one room with 2 beds and a full crib for my son. They both passed out at night, as did we, and I was able to shower and get dressed in the am without waking them.

We had plans to swim, go back to the hotel for naps and such but the kids wanted to be at the parks so thats what we did!

I think whatever choice you make you will have a great time!!

bmarkelon

Definitely stay on property, you can not beat the convenience with little ones. Check out Fort Wilderness Cabins as a comfortable/spacious/affordable option. Bay Lake Towers offers villas and walk into Magic Kingdom, very pricey though. also look at Saratoga Springs and Old Key West as the cheapest on property options, still pricey but may be better rates with more space for your family. Happy planning, you are going to have the most magical trip!! :)

Definitely caribbean beach resort it is the best resort!!! With tolders they have A LOT of beaches, a pool for every section, and the food is very good and reasonable. Although it is a food court it is a food court you will have many options and it is not unreasonable!! Defiantly stay here my whole family has and my kids are NEVER gonna want to stay anywhere else.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom