Where to start?

KnK

Original Poster
Ok, ready to jump in with both feet into digital scrapbooking.

I thought I could google and find stuff but now it seems overwhelming. How do I get started?

I've downloaded Photoshop Elements, but how do I get Disney stuff or anything for that matter.

Do we scan in paper we already have or what? I've seen all your great digital pages with all the fun stuff attached and I just don't know how to get that far.

sweetpee_1993

Well, I've had PhotoShop Elements 7 for a long while and still have yet to do any Disney digital scrapbooking. I'm not the kind of person that can open a program, play with it, and figure it out. For me it's more like open the program, can't make it do what I want, get so mad my laptop is about to become a high-dollar frisbee, and I never open the program again. :lol: I'm thinking I'll go to Barnes & Nobles soon and purchase a tutorial book/program. :D

I think you can search for downloadable clip art and stuff. A lot of the gals here can direct you or maybe share some. I asked that same question quite some time ago. I have a huge box of scrap stuff in my closet that I've accumulated over the years, too. They said it's possible to scan stuff, clip it, and save for layering. Sounds like a lot of work, tho. Not good news for those of us with limited time and the patience of a gnat. :p

KnK

Original Poster
Well, I've had PhotoShop Elements 7 for a long while and still have yet to do any Disney digital scrapbooking. I'm not the kind of person that can open a program, play with it, and figure it out. For me it's more like open the program, can't make it do what I want, get so mad my laptop is about to become a high-dollar frisbee, and I never open the program again. :lol: I'm thinking I'll go to Barnes & Nobles soon and purchase a tutorial book/program. :D

This were I am at.:brick: I know I should be able to do something. Can't even figure out how to pull in a picture.

I feel kinda like a fool right now, but I'm sure it will magically happen....that's what I keep telling myself today.:lol:

HollyBelle

It WILL magically happen. No, seriously, I mean that. I remember when I first opened up photoshop (CS3) I was completely and totally overwhelmed with it. Rather than buying a book though, I would suggest utilizing youtube and doing searches for photoshop elements tutorials on there. With these you can actually watch someone do the work and you can pause/replay ad nauseum to your heart's content. :D Plus, there are a lot of good freebie ones out there.

As for finding Disney related stuff... I search google images for things like resort logos and character clip art. Once you become more acquainted with your program, you'll become adept at "cutting out" images and you can cut logos/signage stuff out of your own pictures. I take pictures of some weird things now (like carpet, lots of carpet :lol:) and use those as backgrounds to tie the pages together. And scanning in paraphernalia like resort maps and park guides will truly make a huge difference on the pages.

I'll let some of the others who are much better at using digital elements/papers give you some tips on those...

Good luck!

KnK

Original Poster
HollyBelle I aspire to have at least one page turn out as fabulous as yours!

I've been playing most of the afternoon, funny, one minute things start to click the next I can't get any pictures to show up.

The next step is to figure out how to post in a note.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement.

mouselvrmom

I totally feel your pain! I had used a simple scrapbook program for a few years, then I just jumped into Photoshop elements 8. I was so lost. But some great friends helped me out and I had most of it figured out in no time!

As far as kits go, there is a ton of free stuff out there for you to download and use on your pages. There is also a ton of stuff that you can purchase- trust me I do my fair share of purchasing. I rationalize that it is so much cheaper than traditional becuase it's only 5 bucks or so for a kit that I can reuse over and over again. I'll look around to see if I can find any good freebie links for you.

You can do it!

KnK

Original Poster
Thanks for the help.

I did a page, but I have no idea how to get it to post! I want to show it off!

mouselvrmom

did you save it to a jpg file? If so you can just upload to photobucket or whatever and post it like a regular pic.

We want to see it! :D

mouselvrmom

You go to save as, and choose jpg. Then, it will let you decide what size you want to save it as. I usually choose a smaller size for the web.

Does that help?

KnK

Original Poster
Yes....it's killing me!!! Nothing worse than finally get a couple of pages complete and I can't show anyone.

I'll keep trying........:zipit:

thanks for the encouragement.

mouselvrmom

Sorry I can't be more help! Is your original document a psd document?

I remember when I was tryiing to resize my page, it was sosooo frustrating!

Fran98765

When you started your page, did you start a blank page or start a project. If you did something different than blank page you may not be able to save as a .jpg.

Do a google search for "free digital scrapbook kits" and you should get a ton of hits to many major scrapbook sites. Most of them have freebies or samples.

I once wrote a very long and in depth starting out post on a "different" Disney forum, but it is so outdated it isn't worth posting.

One site you might want to try looking at is http://www.digishoptalk.com/. It is a "hub" scrap site. People that hang out at all the various sites come to this one to post their sales and freebies and so forth. There is a freebie section on the forum with links to other places to get them. That should help get you started.

For Disney related freebies, I suggest these two blogs: http://brittishdesigns.blogspot.com/ and http://sahlinstudio.blogspot.com/. Both of them are huge Disney fans and have many Disney themed kits, and some are free on their blogs. Look at the side bars to get the links to the freebies.

KnK

Original Poster
PSD

I tried just naming it jpg but that didn't work.

Ready to smack my husband because he keeps trying to tell me to do things that the program won't highlight......men. Good thing I love him!

KnK

Original Poster
Ok here it goes think I got it working!

picture.php

sweetpee_1993

Great first page! Yaaaayyyy for you!

I took another step forward. Went to Barnes & Noble, got my educator's discount card, and bought the Classroom in a Book for Elements 7. Now to just get the house clean, laundry done, lesson plans done, and get that book open. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom