Where in the World Isn't Bob Saget?

MinnieM123

Premium Member
img_4316-jpg.216064

@JenniferS , I love historical sites. I'm really happy that you took all these pictures--it's a nice little escape for all of us here!

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I figured the entrees would be small. Good thing I was already pretty full.
I literally had three bites of the steak and three nibbles of the garlic mashed. I handed the rest over to Mike, and at his insistence, I ate two of his shrimp. They were so, so good!

IMG_4425.JPG IMG_4426.JPG

Let's be honest though. We came here for the dessert!
IMG_4427.JPG

Somebody might have ordered extra sauce. And it's not who you think.
IMG_4428.JPG IMG_4429.JPG

Of course it is - it's EXACTLY who you think!

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
As you may have discerned, 95% of the time I want something (want to go somewhere, want to do something) Mike says "Sure, Baby."

4.9% of the time he says no, I can talk him into it.

This was one of those rare exceptions.

IMG_4354.JPG IMG_4355.JPG IMG_4359.JPG IMG_4360.JPG IMG_4361.JPG IMG_4362.JPG

Just for the record, the boys would have done it with me in a heartbeat.

Eric1955

Your church outfit is stylish, with understated elegance; you're very poised, and can pull off that look.

Think you might be surprised at my church, because no one dresses up. Everyone is neat and presentable, but especially in the summer, most people wear very casual summer clothes, including flip flops, etc. No complaints from the priest--I think he's just happy that people attend! :)

Thank you. :)

I've visited churches like that before. It can be a bit awkward to be the only one dressed up, but I'm a firm believer in dressing up for church.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Thank you. :)

I've visited churches like that before. It can be a bit awkward to be the only one dressed up, but I'm a firm believer in dressing up for church.

That's one of the things I like about you--you stick to your own principles. And it's not awkward at all to dress up for church. We have a few people who dress up each Sunday. Basically, people wear whatever is most comfortable for them. All are welcome.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Niagara on the Lake has got to be the prettiest little town I have ever visited. Mike would like to make a full day of it next time, as yesterday, we pretty much just drove through it. It was a rare lovely day in a summer full of rain, so the place was packed.

Next time, we'll get there earlier, have lunch and visit a few pubs. His brother and wife have already volunteered to go with us. I have volunteered to be the DD. As much as I like day-tripping with P&R, they are soooooo slow. I only have two speeds - turbo and off. There is no in between. It pains me to walk that slowly.

And now for a handful of pics:
IMG_4322.JPG IMG_4324.JPG IMG_4329.JPG IMG_4331.JPG

It's also a very patriotic city. Canadian flags everywhere. This is not the norm, except on Canada Day.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
More science-y stuff.

We were at Lock 3.
IMG_4226.JPG IMG_4232.JPG

This is the Tim S. Dool, headed west from Lake Ontario to Lake Erie; ergo it needs to move "up" the canals.
IMG_4205.JPG

In the lock.
IMG_4256.JPG IMG_4260.JPG

Assuming those hash marks are a foot apart, the ship was raised at the rate of 1' every ten seconds.
IMG_4266.JPG

All done. The gates are opening.
IMG_4271.JPG IMG_4274.JPG

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Although this is the coolest fence ever ...

IMG_4199.JPG IMG_4203.JPG

... this is how I remember the locks as a kid.
IMG_4224.JPG

Back in the day, we could stand within inches of the ships as they went up, or down, and my dad would speak in Ukrainian to the workers on the Russian ships. The languages were similar enough that he could have a full conversation with them.

Growing up without a lot of extra money, we used to head to the locks with a bag full of sandwiches and Pop Shoppe pop a couple of times each summer.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
History stuff for @MinnieM123.

This part of Canada was one of the final stops of the Underground Railroad. From the St. Catharine's Historical Museum:

IMG_4243.JPG

IMG_4242.JPG

Enlistment requirements. Some of these are quite funny. No stammerers allowed.
IMG_4244.JPG

IMG_4247.JPG

IMG_4246.JPG

Before Hockey was also declared Canada's National Sport, we had lacrosse.
IMG_4233.JPG

IMG_4234.JPG

Brendan Shanahan, three time Stanley Cup winner, with his brother Brian, five time Mann Cup winner.
IMG_4235.JPG
They look alike.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom