Where does Tomorrowland go from here?

George Lucas on a Bench

Can't say I'm a fan of the changes to the Matterhorn. I think it's having an identity crisis. It's clearly a vintage ride oozing with that old-school charm, but then you get these modern technological updates with a more horrific Yeti that seem more like something out of a Universal attraction.

Figments Friend

'Tomorrowland' needs a refreshing, that is for sure.
It should still be present in Disneyland. It would not be a good idea to just wipe it clear and build a completely different themactic land.
That 'positive future' element should remain as Walt intended in his Park...but i agree that it needs to be updated to reflect today's Guests needs.
A visually stunning presence would be welcome as well.
There are some cluttering elements and conflicting designs, to my eye at least.

There are some elements that should remain, but as an overall package it needs some additions and a complete thematic overhaul.
I LIKE the Jules Verne-ish elements....i am one of the few who really likes the look of the Astro Orbiter, apparently.

I think in the past there have been numerous proposals to give 'Tomorrowland' a reboot but all of them were shot down for budgetary reasons.
One of these days, maybe in that 'brighter future', we shall see that finally happen - a refreshening of the Land.
That will be a good day.
:)

Figments Friend

Can't say I'm a fan of the changes to the Matterhorn. I think it's having an identity crisis. It's clearly a vintage ride oozing with that old-school charm, but then you get these modern technological updates with a more horrific Yeti that seem more like something out of a Universal attraction.

Having now experienced the upgrade in person last week, i have to say i agree with you Endor.
I miss 'Harold'...he was perfect for this 'vintage' Attraction.
As impressive as the new Yeti is...it just does'nt 'fit' to me.
I guess i am just being old school...but it just was'nt the same fun experience this time around.

That, and having the most rattling ride of my life....egad, i think the track and sleds are rougher then ever now!
Ouch !

dweezil78

Original Poster
Having now experienced the upgrade in person last week, i have to say i agree with you Endor.
I miss 'Harold'...he was perfect for this 'vintage' Attraction.
As impressive as the new Yeti is...it just does'nt 'fit' to me.
I guess i am just being old school...but it just was'nt the same fun experience this time around.

That, and having the most rattling ride of my life....egad, i think the track and sleds are rougher then ever now!
Ouch !

I really dig the Matterhorn upgrades. Don't forget, Harold didn't even show up until the 1978 upgrades nearly 20 years after the Matterhorn first opened. So while he may have been "vintage," it's not like he was some part of the original attraction. I think the upgraded Harold is a great mix of both modern and vintage. More than anything I love the way his growls follow you throughout the entire ride now and make you feel like you're being chased the whole time. It's a really great addition.

Nland316

I'm usually against clones, but I really wouldn't mind if we level everything and get Shanghai's Tomorrowland.. The concept art is stunning and their rides look sick. Buzz looks like an actual Disney worthy ride, the rocket jets seem very innovative and fun, and tron is something I have always dearly wanted at Disneyland. We also have more room I think, so that could count for more attractions!

George Lucas on a Bench

I'm usually against clones, but I really wouldn't mind if we level everything and get Shanghai's Tomorrowland.. The concept art is stunning and their rides look sick. Buzz looks like an actual Disney worthy ride, the rocket jets seem very innovative and fun, and tron is something I have always dearly wanted at Disneyland. We also have more room I think, so that could count for more attractions!

I'm still not sold on the TRON ride from what we've seen of it. I feel like it will just be something like Rock 'n' Roller Coaster with a vaguely TRON-ish theme, AKA neon lights.

RoadTrip

They need to take everything out of Tomorrowland and start over. That's my opinion, anyway.
I agree. Now that DL will have Star Wars Land to occupy people, bulldoze TL except for Space mountain and start over. Go back to the original concept and develop it according to the original theme. People claim it can't be done, that the future changes too quickly. That is taking the easy way out. With proper thought and devotion to concept it CAN be done. Epcot's original Future World was like that, and most of the outstanding attractions there (if not torn down or radically changed) would seem relevant today, 33 years later.

George Lucas on a Bench

The thing is, Disney won't do it because people don't want that stuff. Tomorrowland is a disaster to many of us, but a total success for Disney. Buzz, Star Wars, Marvel and Nemo are all popular and sell merchandise. No reason to go back to the boring old edutainment.

AndyS2992

Tomorrowland can very easily be changed in to Star Wars Land, it all practically writes itself. I would be somewhat against the idea but how hard would it be to give Space Mountain a SW makeover (which I believe they are actually doing temporarily), change out the cars and scenery in Autopia to pod racers, Star Tours is already there, retheme Nemo to that underwater city in SW, Switch out the rockets for Star Speeders on the Astro Orbitor, create new facades for the attractions... I could go on and then squeeze in a whole new ride. That way you get the best of both, the Tomorrowland classics with a new updated and more cohesive theme without the two lands exisiting awkwardly together. That way that expansion area can be used for another expansion.

GiveMeTheMusic

Tomorrowland can very easily be changed in to Star Wars Land, it all practically writes itself. I would be somewhat against the idea but how hard would it be to give Space Mountain a SW makeover (which I believe they are actually doing temporarily), change out the cars and scenery in Autopia to pod racers, Star Tours is already there, retheme Nemo to that underwater city in SW, Switch out the rockets for Star Speeders on the Astro Orbitor, create new facades for the attractions... I could go on and then squeeze in a whole new ride. That way you get the best of both, the Tomorrowland classics with a new updated and more cohesive theme without the two lands exisiting awkwardly together. That way that expansion area can be used for another expansion.

Star Wars Tomorrowland was the plan. Disney ultimately decided they wanted more - and that means a dedicated land in a new space. Paris should be receiving Star Wars additions to their Discoveryland, though likely not on a massive scale.

erider

Star Wars Tomorrowland was the plan. Disney ultimately decided they wanted more - and that means a dedicated land in a new space. Paris should be receiving Star Wars additions to their Discoveryland, though likely not on a massive scale.
Besides Star Tours 2 in Discoveryland for Paris, what kind of timeframe are we looking at for other Star Wars additions in Paris? It would seem most logical to open a mini Star Wars land in Paris together with Star Tours 2 in spring 2017, but I have never seen that mentioned anywhere.

GiveMeTheMusic

Besides Star Tours 2 in Discoveryland for Paris, what kind of timeframe are we looking at for other Star Wars additions in Paris? It would seem most logical to open a mini Star Wars land in Paris together with Star Tours 2 in spring 2017, but I have never seen that mentioned anywhere.

I don't know. It's been awhile since I've heard anything about that project. It would make sense to do with Star Tours 2, but I haven't been given any indication that's the case.

skimbob

What if the land could be futuristic in another way besides space. Something similar to the concept of Avatar where you are transported to another realm out of this world. That would be totally cool and there is no limit to the imagination on what you could do. Who really knows what the future may hold.

HauntedMansionFLA

Disney announced a new Captain Nemo prequel movie the other day. Will they bring back the Nemo subs in the Tomorrow Land???? It could be a nice refresher.

GiveMeTheMusic

Disney announced a new Captain Nemo prequel movie the other day. Will they bring back the Nemo subs in the Tomorrow Land???? It could be a nice refresher.

Disneyland never had 20K themed subs - those were exclusive to WDW. And the Nemo prequel would have to outgross Pixar's Nemo franchise - which is unlikely. The subs will close permanently before they're rethemed to something else.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom