When others think your Disney Vacation is stupid...

star77kc

Hi guys!! I thought maybe some of you may have had this problem in the past, and I wanted to see how others like myself feel about it. I am planning my twins 1st visit to the world for this upcoming December. I want to stay at the Art of Animation suites for 8 nights. My kids will only be 2 years old, so my plan was to go to the parks 5 days (1 day Epcot, 1 day AK, 1 day HS, and 2 days MK) with 2 "off" days to relax. I keep hearing "I can't Believe your going to pay that much to go to Disney", "why are you going for so long?" And "the kids won't even remember it". I'm starting to feel depressed about it as most people just don't understand. It has been a dream of mine for so long to be taking my kids for the 1st time, and now people are squashing it lol Does this happen to anyone else??

Disneydreamer23

I have allot of people tell me that I spend WAY to much on Disney every year, they will say wow you waste 4000 a year just to go to Disney for 10 days The people that usually say this to me are the people who cant afford to go , I simply think its a money thing. I don't let people rain on my parade my husband and I work hard for our careers and deserve to be a " kid" for 10 days out of the year !

Upvote 0

DisneyDebNJ

Hi guys!! I thought maybe some of you may have had this problem in the past, and I wanted to see how others like myself feel about it. I am planning my twins 1st visit to the world for this upcoming December. I want to stay at the Art of Animation suites for 8 nights. My kids will only be 2 years old, so my plan was to go to the parks 5 days (1 day Epcot, 1 day AK, 1 day HS, and 2 days MK) with 2 "off" days to relax. I keep hearing "I can't Believe your going to pay that much to go to Disney", "why are you going for so long?" And "the kids won't even remember it". I'm starting to feel depressed about it as most people just don't understand. It has been a dream of mine for so long to be taking my kids for the 1st time, and now people are squashing it lol Does this happen to anyone else??
Firstly, poo poo to those trying to bring you down on what will hopefully be, the start of a fabulous tradition for you and your wonderful family! We started bringing our son to Disney when he wasnt quite 3. He is now almost 24 and remembers EVERYTHING! There isnt a trip where he doesnt say "hey Mom... remember this??" I relish those moments. Yes, Disney can be expensive and I hear about how much I spend EVERY year, and we stay Deluxe for 7 - 10 days! I get the rundown of questions... "For that amount of money you can go to SO many other places", where I kindly remind them, I am vacationing at the BEST place for me and my family. Go, enjoy yourselves, your planned schedule looks perfect, plus the kids will definately want a pool day!! Wishing you and yours a wonderful vacation!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

nc_disneyfreak

i feel bad to say this, but alot of it stems from jealousy. when people think WDW, they think thousands and thousands of dollars. now dont get me wrong, it CAN be thousands of dollars depending on which route you want to go. as for me, were working class like alot of people on here, and after doing research on how to save at disney, the costs were not to extravagant. Weve been twice so far in april of 2010 and april/early may of 2012. Weve stayed at ASMovies and AS sports. we do the quick service plan and i guarantee that we have the same amount of fun as someone who stays in a deluxe resort you know? its just about personal choice. If you can afford it, then by all means do it! were all part of the same disney family. so when people found out were taking our 2 yr old daughter (who will be 3 next trip) and our son (who will be 7) on our honeymoon in april/early may 2014, we get raised eyebrows and hints of "who goes on a honeymoon to WDW?" or hints of "your going again?" we just smile back and say oh yeah!! some people like the beach, the mountains, cruises...we just like disney. until they go, they wont understand the tons of thing WDW offers...its just not screaming kids, long lines, and hot days....its the wishes fireworks show, pirates of the caribbean, getting a dole whip, walking around the world showcase, seeing the tree of life as you walk over that little hill, the view of tower of terror when those doors open, sitting down for dinner at TRex or sci fi dine in theater....i can go on and on....the spas, the golfing, the waterparks...just smile back at the naysayers and keep on planing your great vacation!!

Upvote 0

SMS55

Honestly they probably won't remember it, but that doesn't mean they still won't have fun. You guys will also have lots of fun. My 2 year old daughter went on her first trip at 7 months. At 1.5 she recognized the characters. She had a huge grin when she say Mickey(she loves Mickey Mouse Clubhouse) and lunged at Donald when she saw him. I get the "you guys go to Disney too much" but living in Florida I don't think it's as bad because most people here will go up for a weekend, or a few days. Honestly I think it's just part of living in Florida. If you have kids, or want to get a way for a few days, you go to Disney. The thing is that you have kids. Where are you going to go? I went as a kid to Mexico and kept thinking that "it wasn't Disney." Now I'd love to go and see the pyramids and all. Another trip we took as kids was cool because we were at the beach, but I remember not caring about anything else. If you have kids, Disney is the best place to go.

Upvote 0

Poofiesdream

Take lots of pictures, they will relive the trip even when they get older threw the pictures and your stories! Where else can you go for that amount of money that includes all that stuff and rides? It is still a good deal even with the rising costs. So much to do and see there. Where can you find all that in one place. Making memories of a life time, priceless!!!

Upvote 0

Mrsdonaldduck

You guys are going to have such a wonderful time! We have 3 little guys 3, 6, and 8. We have been going for the past 5 years and my 8 year old rembers things from our first trip. It is wonderful to see the expression on their faces. Our little one loved it's a small world as a baby. It is such a perfect place to vacation with small children. You can be a kid again and feel the magic with your children!!

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

I got a lot of this before my girls' first trip. There were so many people who thought I was out of my mind...trying to tell me the perfect age and that I was clearly missing the mark and wasting my $. There were of course more positive people who didn't discourage the trip, but wanted to help me avoid any letdowns by reminding me "you know they won't remember it, so just remember that this trip is really more for you."

The last time I checked....Happiness and Enjoyment know no age! ;)

Memory is a tricky thing. Many people have this delusional view that an 8 or 10 year old is going to remember all of it and make it worth your while. My parents waited until my brother was 7 for us to go...it was rooted partly in not wanting to have to use a stroller, but memory was the other issue. Well, I was 11 and while I do remember parts of the trip...there is also a lot I forget. i.e. you forget things over time no matter what your age. So for that reason, the whole "they'll never remember it" logic is utterly pointless to me.

Yes, some people think about the $ and the big green jealousy monster is to blame. While some are ignorant to all of the discounts and pricing seasons to reduce costs, other people have never been (and have opinions but no first hand perspective) or went with parents, relatives, friends, etc. who planned poorly - so the mere mention of WDW makes them think "waste." Some people were deluded into thinking it's just for kids, so you'd have to be a fool to go before your kids could do everything. Ultimately, there are tons of petty reasons why people get like this, but ... it's your vacation, so who cares what they think! :D

Seriously, if I want to backpack with my kids through the trails of Yellowstone, expose them to all of the history in DC as infants, or go on a cycling trip in Europe with toddlers...that's my choice! And if we plan accordingly to make it pleasant and safe for all who are traveling - it's no biggie! Soooo- Enjoy your trip!!! :)

P.S. My younger one had just turned 2 on her first trip to WDW and she had a blast! She remembers very little, but she loves hearing stories about the trip, looking at the pictures, and the rest of us have a handful of wonderful memories. $ WELL SPENT!

Upvote 0

keylimesqueeze

People have said the same to us throughout the years. People that have never experienced it DONT understand. We took our daughter for the first time when she was 2 also and she still remembers Cinderella blowing her a kiss from the castle. And we remember how excited she was...and those are memories we'll have forever. Dont let people squash your plans. Do what you want to do now--theres no guarantee of tomorrow.

Upvote 0

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
She's come to me and asked for advice on saving and budgeting. I showed her how DH and I do it, what we put into savings, vacation, bills, etc. She's one of those people that ask for advice but takes none of it into consideration. When she saw what I put into our vacation budget, she said, "that is sick."

When the vacation is booked, I get a total amount. I add additional expenses that I know we'll incur during that time. I divide that by the number of weeks until the balance is due in full. So every week, I transfer into our vacation fund. I also decrease our weekend and "play" money. There are things we do give up, but its worth it in the end!

Sounds exactly like what we do.

Upvote 0

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I
Memory is a tricky thing. Many people have this delusional view that an 8 or 10 year old is going to remember all of it and make it worth your while. My parents waited until my brother was 7 for us to go...it was rooted partly in not wanting to have to use a stroller, but memory was the other issue. Well, I was 11 and while I do remember parts of the trip...there is also a lot I forget. i.e. you forget things over time no matter what your age. So for that reason, the whole "they'll never remember it" logic is utterly pointless to me.

Exactly!
My first trip to WDW was in 2000 I was 22. I know I saw the Tapestry of Dreams Parade. It was a big deal at the time. I have watched videos online of the parade and it's nothing like how I remembered it. I guess we shouldn't have wasted our money on the trip.

Upvote 0

disneycouple07

My first time to WDW was in 1996, I was 12 years old. My mom and I went with my aunt, uncle and older cousins. Just last Saturday night, we were all at dinner and they asked if we were going to Disney this year. I brought up our trip in '96 and they couldn't believe I remembered so many details from that trip. I think I was so amazed and excitied, I absored every detail cause I didn't know when I would be back.

Upvote 0

Bama14

My sister does that to me all the time. She doesn't get it, and rolls her eyes when I say I'm going to Disney. I was watching her kids a few weeks ago and we were playing Disney Cranium. My son's team was leading a bit and my 11 year old nephew looked at him and said "yeah because knowing about Disney will do you a lot of good in life." The whole family is like that. At the same time though, none of her family ever spends time together, and there is very little since of fun in her house. They all go to their seperate rooms and play with their electronics and on the weekends everyone goes their own way. Maybe only fun families go to Disney! :p

Upvote 0

Ember

One of my earliest memories, if not THE earliest memory I have, is from when my parents took me to Disney when I was almost 3. I remember meeting Mickey and I remember getting mouse ears. I also, oddly enough, remember the Swiss Family Treehouse. I took my youngest son when he was a little over two and he remembers little bits and pieces of the trip as well. And even if they don't remember you can show them the pictures when they are older and I guarantee it will make them happy to their tiny selves smiling and having a great time.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Hi there, I just HAD to weigh in on this. I get this. A LOT!!!! I go a few times a year every year and I am single with no children, so I get a different type of teasing. Amazingly enough, people started shutting up when I asked them " So where are you going on vacation? What are you planning to do with your friends/ family/ significant other?" When they have no answer, I just smile and walk away. Needless to say we dont engage in much chit chat after that but I dont care. A few of my friends are into different types of vacations ( South Beach, Vegas etc) and amazingly enough they all "get it" It is all about going to the place that makes you happy and brings joy to the person, be it Disney or somewhere else. Those other people havent found their Happy Place as of yet, and I do feel badly for them. Hopefully one day, it will come to them!!! Marie

Upvote 0

bsiev1977

That's so funny about them wanting to call the paramedics. They always want to be on top of everything! Lol When we go in December, I'm sure we will be in the middle of potty training. Maybe they will magically learn?? Lol
Simple matter of potential liability. Any time a head injury is involved, seemingly minor though it may be, they have to err on the side of caution.

As far as your original topic, if your vacation bothers someone else so much, don't talk to them about it. Likely it's as others have said, people can be jealous that you have the means to go and they don't.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom