1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

When do YOU book your flights?

Discussion in 'Ground & Air Transportation' started by Ciara, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Ciara

Ciara Well-Known Member

Just curious really :geek: hoping to get a better deal on our flights this year than last year.

2. SyracuseDisneyFan

SyracuseDisneyFan Well-Known Member

About 6 to 8 months out. For our upcoming trip, my Mom booked ours on November 4. It depends on the airline you use and how far out the airline books their flights.

Ciara likes this.
  3. SAV

SAV Well-Known Member

We usually do the 6 to 8 month window as well. We did luck into a tremendous deal just 2 weeks away last year for a flight to Orlando.

Ciara likes this.
  4. mattchu758

mattchu758 Well-Known Member

For this past trip, I was looking about 10 months in advance. Prices were pretty steep at the time. I booked our hotel 8 months in advance then decided to book flights as well. I got extremely lucky and they were about 40% cheaper than they were a month of so earlier. I booked Newark to Orlando for about $170 a ticket. It's usually anywhere between $300-400. My best advice to is constantly check flights everyday especially if you are booking way in advance.

Ciara likes this.
  5. 21stamps

21stamps Well-Known Member

A few weeks before I leave. Unless I find a great deal beforehand...which is unfortunately pretty rare.lol

Ciara likes this.
  6. dreamfinder

dreamfinder Well-Known Member

As soon as Southwest opens up the booking window.

7. JFP

JFP New Member

https://www.google.com/flights/
    I always book through Google Flights. Started looking back in September for our trip in March. Tracked the flights and we (wife and son) were able to fly from Raleigh, NC to Orlando, round trip, for less that $450.00 total.....Unbelievable deal. Check it out. You plug in your dates and it searches across all airline sites.

Ciara and 21stamps like this.
  8. Weather_Lady

Weather_Lady Well-Known Member

It all depends on your preferred airline(s)! We're generally on Southwest or JetBlue. Southwest doesn't fluctuate much, but with JetBlue, they sell the cheapest fares first and the price only continues to go up, so it's always to our advantage to book immediately when the schedule is extended.

Google around a bit and see what people say about your particular airline...

9. Patcheslee

Patcheslee Active Member

Following. We are 4 months out and initially chose to drive because of the 1800+ we saw for 3 of us at res booking. Add in the rental car because we're starting in St. Augustine for a couple days before. It gets expensive quick. None of us have flown but Ive been hoping to find reasonable prices and have more time.

Ciara likes this.
  10. goldenears

goldenears Member

When I was researching when to visit WDW, I stumbled on an airfare deal from southwest last August for late February travel time so that locked in our trip dates. So for my family of four to fly round trip from Columbus, Ohio only cost $551. Normally, that would be roughly $1200. That afforded us the ability to book two rooms instead of one. I haven't seen that special come out again since then.

Ciara likes this.
  11. Ciara

Ciara Well-Known Member Original Poster

Thank you for all of the information!!

12. carriebeth

carriebeth Active Member

We book Southwest pretty much as soon as they open flights for our travel time. The price doesn't really change ever and we always have specific travel times we want..early as possible on arrival day, late as possible when leaving. Would not want to chance them selling out or anything. With 8 kids we need a lot of seats so that motivates us to jump on it sooner than later too. Its not like we can wait and assume 1 or 2 seats will be open at a later date

MickeyMomV likes this.
  13. Zipitidoda

Zipitidoda Well-Known Member

Ugh. I thought the "rule" was that about 3 months out was when you could find the cheapest rates. We're 6 months out and haven't booked our flights yet. right now the cheapest I can find is $260 a ticket from Michigan to Orlando.

14. Jahona

Jahona Well-Known Member

It seems the usual tropes for Airfare in the past has changed a bit. I've been looking for the beginning of October since last year. American has increased their prices fairly regularly, although some times are oddly priced. Southwest on the other hand just released their prices for October a week or so ago and the day they came out the "wanna get away" category was already sold out just about.

15. Zipitidoda

Zipitidoda Well-Known Member

You all made me panic and I just bought airline tickets for our trip that is 6 months out. :oops: I have been watching for quite awhile and noticed nothing getting any cheaper. I even noticed that flights that were only 3 months out were more expensive then the ones I just purchased. So I guess I'm saying Thanks for the Information. :D

16. drwadadli

drwadadli Premium Member

We typical book about 4 - 6 months out. If you use the app "hopper", they will notify you if there is a change in flight prices. When I get the notification of a change in price from them, then I go to the airline website and book the flight there instead of through hopper