When Did You Join?

When did you join?

• Total voters

Sam Magic

Original Poster
It's not that your own your own it's that many of your threads seem to show you have your mind made up. Try and leave them more open and make the topics vague in a sense. Also try participating in comps and other events here. It lets us get to know you and shows your real skills...;)

mharrington

It's not that your own your own it's that many of your threads seem to show you have your mind made up. Try and leave them more open and make the topics vague in a sense. Also try participating in comps and other events here. It lets us get to know you and shows your real skills...;)

Well, first of all, I have Asperger's Syndrome. As such, it is very difficult for me to be open minded. As for the comps, one reason why I don't join in is because they seem to be outside my zone of comfort (as I just said, I have Asperger's). It seems as though contests take up a lot of time and space, and it seems that people are interested less in real skills than in fame and glory. I also agree with LittleGiants16, when he told me on my thread on improving the MK and Epcot (http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/imagineering-a-brand-new-mk-and-epcot-for-you.864107/):

It's a shame that this board is so wrapped up with competitions and monorail threads because you always have solid ideas that are in desperate need of attention from the rest of us. You've been at this for a long time (2003? I didn't even know the interweb existed in 2003!) and you really do deserve more acclaim for the quality ideas you turn out on a regular basis. So kudos to you for maintaining the internal fire while those around you have descended into Competition Hell, after the glory of winning rather than the satisfaction of imagineering a wonderful attraction. We need more people like you around these parts. Like you and @Tip Top Club and @BryceM; folks who don't start a competition at the drop of a hat and are great imagineers, not great competitors. Now I think competition is all well and good, and frankly we should have a blow out competition every so often. But there is no need for one to be going on constantly. It seems like every time I come on these boards there's a new 'sign up' thread going. I'm sorry to rant and take space away from your ideas (they're wonderful, really) but sometimes things have to be shouted over and over before people take heed. I can remember a day on this board where people like you and @stitchcastle and @MaterA113 and @KingMickey created these grand resorts I as a youngster could only dream of. It was a great time to be on these forums. I just wish we had more of that now....

As for joining other threads, I do feel tempted to join in, but I'm afraid I would just ruin them with my ideas and decision-making.

Another reason why I make up my mind about things like these is because I'm just trying to go with how StitchCastle did things on the long-running "http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/if-i-could-improve-walt-disney-world.53038/" thread. I was so impressed by how he did things, especially with drawn-up sketches, that it seemed as though I could do things like this, except with ideas of my own. That thread, for one, contributed to my "mind made up" mentality. Anyway, how do I keep the thread titles vague?

Sam Magic

Original Poster
Well, first of all, I have Asperger's Syndrome. As such, it is very difficult for me to be open minded. As for the comps, one reason why I don't join in is because they seem to be outside my zone of comfort (as I just said, I have Asperger's). It seems as though contests take up a lot of time and space, and it seems that people are interested less in real skills than in fame and glory. I also agree with LittleGiants16, when he told me on my thread on improving the MK and Epcot (http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/imagineering-a-brand-new-mk-and-epcot-for-you.864107/):

It's a shame that this board is so wrapped up with competitions and monorail threads because you always have solid ideas that are in desperate need of attention from the rest of us. You've been at this for a long time (2003? I didn't even know the interweb existed in 2003!) and you really do deserve more acclaim for the quality ideas you turn out on a regular basis. So kudos to you for maintaining the internal fire while those around you have descended into Competition Hell, after the glory of winning rather than the satisfaction of imagineering a wonderful attraction. We need more people like you around these parts. Like you and @Tip Top Club and @BryceM; folks who don't start a competition at the drop of a hat and are great imagineers, not great competitors. Now I think competition is all well and good, and frankly we should have a blow out competition every so often. But there is no need for one to be going on constantly. It seems like every time I come on these boards there's a new 'sign up' thread going. I'm sorry to rant and take space away from your ideas (they're wonderful, really) but sometimes things have to be shouted over and over before people take heed. I can remember a day on this board where people like you and @stitchcastle and @MaterA113 and @KingMickey created these grand resorts I as a youngster could only dream of. It was a great time to be on these forums. I just wish we had more of that now....

As for joining other threads, I do feel tempted to join in, but I'm afraid I would just ruin them with my ideas and decision-making.

Another reason why I make up my mind about things like these is because I'm just trying to go with how StitchCastle did things on the long-running "http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/if-i-could-improve-walt-disney-world.53038/" thread. I was so impressed by how he did things, especially with drawn-up sketches, that it seemed as though I could do things like this, except with ideas of my own. That thread, for one, contributed to my "mind made up" mentality. Anyway, how do I keep the thread titles vague?
You know what, forgive me on what I said before. I really do agree with what was said in this post, you do have good ideas. I guess I have just been so out of what real imagineering is that I have forgotten what it means to be one...:cry:

Sam Magic

Original Poster
I can almost see the light from my first semester of grad school!!
tumblr_mo7mebAwbV1rqqwv3o3_250.gif

DinoInstitute

First, @mharrington, I agree, I love your ideas, you have great creativity and always look forward to reading a new entry in http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/imagineering-a-brand-new-mk-and-epcot-for-you.864107/. I know many people read it and like what you have to say, just don't end up responding. However, I dont want you to take this in a way as if I'm being mean, but you would probably get more people to respond/like if you didn't almost always start it off with a variation of "Since nobody likes what I have to say...", it just kind of comes off as annoying. People do care. And as someone said, it is great that you are truly living up to the spirit off the forum title imagineer and being a great imagineer!

Second, as you can tell, I joined the thread not too long ago, late April. Thank you every one for giving me a warm welcome into the family! However, i'm not completely new. I've been reading the forums for some time, just never getting an account and responding!

Lastly, what are these "masters of imagineering" or something competitions? Of course, I'm new, so I'm not familiar with it, but could somebody explain to me these competitions and how they work?

Last edited:

RMichael21

First, @mharrington, I agree, I love your ideas, you have great creativity and always look forward to reading a new entry in http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/imagineering-a-brand-new-mk-and-epcot-for-you.864107/. I know many people read it and like what you have to say, just don't end up responding. It'sHowever, I dont want you to take this in a way as if I'm being mean, but you would probably get more people to respond/like if you didn't almost always start it off with a variation of "Since nobody likes what I have to say...", it just kind of comes off as anoying. People do care. And as some one said, it is great that you are truely living up to the spirit off the forum title imagineer and being a great imagineer!

Second, as you can tell, I joined the thread not too long ago, late april. Thank you every one for giving me a warm welcome into the family! However, im not completely new. I've been reading the forums for some time, just never gettting an account and responding!

Lastly, what are these "masters of imagineering" or something competitions? Of course, I'm new, so I'm not familiar with it, but could somebody explain to me these competitions and how they work?
The competitions happen every so often, but lately they have been more frequent. Basically, when a new competition thread is posted, you can sign up. Hue host will then post a imagineering challenge and you will have to create a submission in a certain amount of time. An example of a challenge might be to create a fifth gate at WDW. Some of the competitions you will work by yourself but some of them you will work with teams. Here are the comps that I know of:

Master of the Parks: Solo
WED99's Think Different Challenge: Solo
One Sentence Contest: Solo
Sorcerer's Apprentice: Teams
Imagineering Tournament: Teams
WEDCar Race: Solo
Spring Training Anyone?: Teams

To get a better feel of them, I would go back and read them because they are really fun to read and it might provide you with some insight.

Upcoming competitions that you can join:

Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 2: Sometime in the summer
Master of the Parks Season 2: I don't know when that's gonna be

I hope that helps. :)

jdmdisney99

First, @mharrington, I agree, I love your ideas, you have great creativity and always look forward to reading a new entry in http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/imagineering-a-brand-new-mk-and-epcot-for-you.864107/. I know many people read it and like what you have to say, just don't end up responding. It'sHowever, I dont want you to take this in a way as if I'm being mean, but you would probably get more people to respond/like if you didn't almost always start it off with a variation of "Since nobody likes what I have to say...", it just kind of comes off as anoying. People do care. And as some one said, it is great that you are truely living up to the spirit off the forum title imagineer and being a great imagineer!

Second, as you can tell, I joined the thread not too long ago, late april. Thank you every one for giving me a warm welcome into the family! However, im not completely new. I've been reading the forums for some time, just never gettting an account and responding!

The competitions happen every so often, but lately they have been more frequent. Basically, when a new competition thread is posted, you can sign up. Hue host will then post a imagineering challenge and you will have to create a submission in a certain amount of time. An example of a challenge might be to create a fifth gate at WDW. Some of the competitions you will work by yourself but some of them you will work with teams. Here are the comps that I know of:

Master of the Parks: Solo
WED99's Think Different Challenge: Solo
One Sentence Contest: Solo
Sorcerer's Apprentice: Teams
Imagineering Tournament: Teams
WEDCar Race: Solo
Spring Training Anyone?: Teams

To get a better feel of them, I would go back and read them because they are really fun to read and it might provide you with some insight.

Upcoming competitions that you can join:

Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 2: Sometime in the summer
Master of the Parks Season 2: I don't know when that's gonna be

I hope that helps. :)

A good resource would be our makeshift website, a subsidiary of the larger TAFI website (The Alliance of Future Imagineers). There you can join TAFI, learn about the ICS, and brush up on all the previous competitions of this forum. :) Please do explore and join us!

mharrington

But it's really no fun when people don't respond. I thought they really frowned upon the idea of multiple postings back to back by one poster, which is what I had been doing lately.

Voxel

President of Progress City
But it's really no fun when people don't respond. I thought they really frowned upon the idea of multiple postings back to back by one poster, which is what I had been doing lately.
Its hard for some people to respond sometimes. I do like examing your work but personal (I can't speak for others) I am already juggling so many projects (On forums and off Forum) that it because difficult to comment and sometimes we avoid comment because we don't want to get dragged into something we may not have time to fully commit to. :D Or we just disappear for a few months like I do occasionally. :p
Great work on your projects thought. :D

mharrington

Its hard for some people to respond sometimes. I do like examing your work but personal (I can't speak for others) I am already juggling so many projects (On forums and off Forum) that it because difficult to comment and sometimes we avoid comment because we don't want to get dragged into something we may not have time to fully commit to. :D Or we just disappear for a few months like I do occasionally. :p
Great work on your projects thought. :D

But what about the idea of multiple postings? I thought it was frowned upon.

mharrington

As long as they pertain to different projects. Then I don't see an issue with it to be honest. I don't know what the consensus is.

But I thought that multiple postings by any one poster back to back was not entirely looked upon kindly. That is why I often would not respond to threads of mine, or others' threads that I had joined in, until someone responded. That would ultimately lead to ideas never coming to light, that any idea I had I would never be able to share with anyone. I do respond to my own posts, but it shows that no one besides me showed any interest.

Voxel

President of Progress City
But I thought that multiple postings by any one poster back to back was not entirely looked upon kindly. That is why I often would not respond to threads of mine, or others' threads that I had joined in, until someone responded. That would ultimately lead to ideas never coming to light, that any idea I had I would never be able to share with anyone. I do respond to my own posts, but it shows that no one besides me showed any interest.
Its fine. I have been know to do it quiet often. You can search in find old forums/threads where I responded back to back. If its a thread with your own creations there is not problem doing that.

mharrington

Its fine. I have been know to do it quiet often. You can search in find old forums/threads where I responded back to back. If its a thread with your own creations there is not problem doing that.

Well, here's an example of a thread of mine that I really wish more people would respond to and help me with, in part because I'm having a tough time trying to complete it by myself: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...-at-dhs-open-brainstorming-part-three.868537/. Check it out sometime and help me out with it, if you can.

mharrington

Well, it's no fun doing it all alone. I'm not the most imaginative person in the world. That's why it's always frustrating when everyone is more concerned with competitions, the discussion thread of the latest of which (http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...ternational-edition-discussion-thread.886289/) is on the verge of becoming the longest thread ever on the Imagineering section of the site. And you're right, they do seem to be happening more frequently. By their very nature, they seem to invoke the idea of cranking out ideas rapidly. I don't go for those kinds of events.

Anyway, what are some threads where you have responded to yourself back-to-back? Can you give me some examples?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom