Trip Report When can we do this again? A Fractal family Odyssey. *COMPLETED*

Definition of odyssey:
  • : a long journey full of adventures

• : a series of experiences that give knowledge or understanding to someone
Not too long ago I had a lot of doubt this trip would ever happen. The financial cost of higher education, the fact my wife Val wanted to go anywhere BUT Disney, the crazy and conflicting schedules of the kids, made the odds of keeping our 2-year WDW trip tradition a large long-shot. But maybe things do happen for a reason...

A great deal came our way and before we knew it we were on our way back to the World. Not without a major sacrifice however as my eldest daughter Alexandra had to miss the trip due to her schooling ( she graduates this Friday as an Registered Nurse!). She is a bit of a kindred spirit to me with a personality closer to mine than the other two, so I knew I would miss her dearly on the trip.

Here she is at Christmas with my Mom (Yia-Yia).

DSC05745-X2.jpg

Speaking of Yia-yia; she will join us again at WDW! We had a great time with her on our 2013 trip at the Poly. We would meet up with her, my Sister Marina (here with me)...

_DSC0720-XL.jpg

and my two nieces; Courtney...

_DSC0443-XL.jpg

and Mia...
DSC05736-X2.jpg

at the Yacht Club on the second leg of our journey. The first part of our trip took us to my in-law's (Al & Sue) who moved to Florida (Tampa - St. Pete area) last year. They would also join us at WDW!

Here they are from a 50th anniversary party we had for them last Winter...

DSC05476-X2.jpg

It was early evening Thursday July 20th when we began our Odyssey. My good friend Wally picked us up to take us to the Baltimore (BWI) airport.

DSC00007-XL.jpg

Excitement was building for our trip but the real Disney excitement would come later.

Sterg and Toni occupied the back seat. They were almost late for the pickup as they decided a last second Starbucks run was in order. Sterg ended up paying for that about an hour later as his bladder protested strongly.

DSC00006-XL.jpg

Val was next to me and could barely contain her enthusiasm.

DSC00008-XL.jpg

Not only was she not fully in favor of another Disney trip, she was (rightfully) concerned with the potential problems, complications, and stress of merging these 3 parts of the family together in the already chaotic environment of managing reservations, room assignments, getting to the parks, fastpasses and dinner plans. I had much of the same worries, which were also amplified by the fact Yia-Yia and Al would be using electric scooters during our time at the World. But hey, it's Disney, what could go wrong?

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
Disney Day!

Of course I was up early, as was Al. I was very concerned others wouldn't be. Our plan was to arrive at The Yacht Club early enough to drop off our luggage, pick up an electric scooter for Al and get to MK in enough time for a 11:50 FP for Splash Mountain. To my delight, except for a few minor complications, we were on the road on time.

Sue had a new camera for the trip as well.

DSC00025-XL.jpg

Al captaining the ship. He is scheduled to get surgery on his ankles. Walking is painful and slow for him; hopefully he'll be ready for the next Disney trip.

DSC00026-XL.jpg

With heavy traffic around Tampa it took us 2 hours until we saw this...

_DSC0190-X2.jpg

This trip made 2 straight times I arrived at WDW without the Magical Express. I'm not embarrassed to say that I really missed that. The excitement of boarding the bus, the relaxation of not having to worry about directions and missing an exit and the instant "Disney" mood the video put you in is a great way to start a WDW vacation.

Hello Yacht Club!

_DSC0192-X2.jpg

_DSC0195-X4.jpg

_DSC0198-X2.jpg

We stayed at the Beach Club twice and loved it. The comparison with the Yacht Club was inevitable. My first impression was very positive. The lobby is not as "airy" as the BC but was a bit more luxurious while still remaining comfortable. I never got the "snooty" vibe. And the scent! I love the scent of the BC lobby, but the YC was equally appealing if not better. Sterg and I agreed we would have to get to the BC to make a better evaluation.

_DSC0200-X4.jpg

_DSC0194-X2.jpg

_DSC0196-X2.jpg

This CM was great. He welcomed us with a smile and before long wanted to talk about my camera. He was knowledgable in mirrorless cameras so we had a nerdy conversation about the pros and cons of them.

_DSC0208-X2.jpg

The view outside the back doors of the lobby...

_DSC0204-X4.jpg

After dropping off our bags and getting Al's "scooter" we were on our way to Magic Kingdom for our Fast Pass and to meet up with Yia-Yia, my sister and crew (and maybe someone else???).

First try getting Al in the bus was not the smoothest...

_DSC0210-X2.jpg

but was successful.

_DSC0213-X2.jpg

So happy to be back and on a bus to MK!

_DSC0216-X2.jpg

Last edited:

Matt and Kelly

Disney Day!

Of course I was up early, as was Al. I was very concerned others wouldn't be. Our plan was to arrive at The Yacht Club early enough to drop off our luggage, pick up an electric scooter for Al and get to MK in enough time for a 11:50 FP for Splash Mountain. To my delight, except for a few minor complications, we were on the road on time.

Sue had a new camera for the trip as well.

DSC00025-XL.jpg

Al captaining the ship. He is scheduled to get surgery on his ankles. Walking is painful and slow for him; hopefully he'll be ready for the next Disney trip.

DSC00026-XL.jpg

With heavy traffic around Tampa it took us 2 hours until we saw this...

_DSC0190-X2.jpg

This trip made 2 straight times I arrived at WDW without the Magical Express. I'm not embarrassed to say that I really missed that. The excitement of boarding the bus, the relaxation of not having to worry about directions and missing an exit and the instant "Disney" mood the video put you in is a great way to start a WDW vacation.

Hello Yacht Club!

_DSC0192-X2.jpg

_DSC0195-X2.jpg

_DSC0198-X2.jpg

We stayed at the Beach Club twice and loved it. The comparison with the Yacht Club was inevitable. My first impression was very positive. The lobby is not as "airy" as the BC but was a bit more luxurious while still remaining comfortable. I never got the "snooty" vibe. And the smell! I love the smell of the BC lobby, but the YC was equally appealing if not better. Sterg and I agreed we would have to get to the BC to make a better evaluation.

_DSC0200-X2.jpg

_DSC0194-X2.jpg

_DSC0196-X2.jpg

This CM was great. He welcomed us with at smile and before long wanted to talk about my camera. He was knowledgable in mirrorless cameras so we had a nerdy conversation about the pros and cons of them.

_DSC0208-X2.jpg

The view outside the back doors of the lobby...

_DSC0203-X2.jpg

After dropping off our bags and getting Al's "scooter" we were on our way to Magic Kingdom for our Fast Pass and to meet up with Yia-Yia, my sister and crew (and maybe someone else???).

First try getting Al in the bus was not the smoothest...

_DSC0210-X2.jpg

but was successful.

_DSC0213-X2.jpg

So happy to be back and on a bus to MK!

_DSC0216-X2.jpg

Yacht Club looks gorgeous. Makes me excited to check it out when we check in at the Beach Club in December. Looking forward to seeing what the hotels look like during Christmas.

Keep up the great report!

3WaltFans

This is our feeling also, the relaxing bus ride is great to our resort. Enjoying your report.

becca_

I totally agree with Magical Express! We rented a car last trip so we could get to Pandora on our departure day - also the 2nd day of operations there, and I played the youtube video in the car so it felt more like I was on the bus :hilarious:

My family thinks I'm nuts, it's okay though :rolleyes:

fractal

Original Poster
Talk about a welcome sign!

_DSC0217-X2.jpg

No issues going through security and it was a relief knowing our magic bands were working.

_DSC0218-X4.jpg

other side of the tunnel.

_DSC0220-X2.jpg

Although I did a day trip with Alex and Toni 2 years ago, Magic Kingdom was the only park we didn't visit. Abstinence indeed made my heart grow fonder. It didn't take long for me to approve of the new color scheme on many of the Main Street buildings.

_DSC0222-X2.jpg

We spent a few moments just soaking in the scene and I of course took numerous photos without any complaints from my fellow travelers.

_DSC0223-X4.jpg

Dapper Dans were out testing their vocal chords!

_DSC0225-X2.jpg

_DSC0226-X4.jpg

Castle pic. Yeah, we're back!

_DSC0227-X2.jpg

Looking back at the train station.

_DSC0229-X2.jpg

_DSC0230-X2.jpg

_DSC0231-X2.jpg

It was quickly agreed upon that we could all use something to eat. I suggested Casey's so we continued to make our way up Main Street.

Last edited:

MississippiBelle

So excited for another Fractal trip report!! Toni has grown up so much...:cry: She's so beautiful! I'm so glad to hear she still loves the early morning traditions with you! As always, your pictures are awesome and your youtube videos are very Sterg (but also awesome!). We loooooved the Yacht club. I think I liked it better than the Beach Club. I can't wait for more!

fractal

Original Poster
After viewing the menu, it turned out that Sterg and I were the only ones' not surprised nor upset that Casey's famous hotdogs only served hotdogs. The two of us stayed and the rest of the crew went to look for other options.

_DSC0232-X2.jpg

After I was handed my hotdog I went to the table where the condiments and napkins were stored. This table was blocked by three women standing talking to each other. After the third progressively louder "excuse me" they finally turned to look at me and gave me a dirty look before moving aside. Sorry to interrupt the gossip ladies.

The place was busy but not mobbed - the condiment area was a mess. Very sloppy and very low on sauerkraut which looked like it was sitting there all morning. I turned back to view all the help behind the ordering area busily serving others. Needless to say, I didn't have sauerkraut on my $10 hotdog. Sterg and I went outside to look for a table with no luck. We then headed over the the Plaza side of Main Street and found a table with an umbrella to help with the now scorching sun. I called Val and they were in the Tomorrowland Terrace. I glanced over in that direction and it seemed so much cooler than where we were sitting - like a big blue cave. Sterg however didn't want to move. He thought the view of the Main Street and the castle was worth the price of a little sweat.

After I consumed my dog, I pulled out my phone and called a fellow WDW'er that had told me a few weeks before she would be in MK on the same day. We decided it would be great to meet up with her and her daughter. We made contact and agreed to meet at the restroom area of Splash Mountain after our fast pass!

I then received a call from my sister - they were in Disney Springs getting a bibbidi boppidi treatment for Mia (the 7 year old). My other niece Courtney was on her way to MK and would meet us at Splash. As the point person for this extended family WDW trip, I was starting to feel the pressure of not only keeping everyone moving in the right direction, but also making sure all were having fun. There were a lot of questions and a number of complaints - why is it so hot? where are we going now? Why did you get a FP for Splash mountain? What is Splash Mountain? How far is Splash Mountain? How long are we going to have to wait?

Then I added that after the ride I was going to meet a WDW'er.

What does that even mean? Who is it? How do you know her? Where is she from? Did you talk to her? Is she nice? Is her daughter nice? Is she a crazy Disney person?

This trip was going to be like no other we've had. A fact I was quickly coming to grips with.

On our way to the new hub.

DSC00041-X4.jpg

Here again you can see the effect of a wide angle lens. The lens was a Zeiss 18mm 2.8 Batis I rented for the trip. Terrific lens but in these shots it makes the castle look a bit too far off and small.

_DSC0234-X4.jpg

_DSC0235-X2.jpg

Taking photos mid-day in the sun is not ideal. Yes there is plenty of light (which really helps smaller cameras and smart phone cameras) but the light is very harsh. This is in contrast to the warm glowing light we had on the beach at sunset and during the "blue hour". But you have to work with what you have. I almost always shoot full manual ( being able to control the shutter speed, aperture and ISO) and I made sure to drop my aperture smaller (stopped down) to around f/7 or f/8. The advantage of shooting "stopped down" is most lenses are their sharpest between f/5.6 and f/8. You don't get the blurred background look, but these shots were "landscape" which doesn't call for that.

Still on the move...

i-VvbJf3C-X3.jpg

Its always been challenging photographing WDW when on a family trip. One is almost always on the move. Stopping even for a few minutes to set up a shot is just asking for a chorus of complaining. Herding around a even bigger group made the challenge greater. I decided to use the scooter factor to my advantage here. The scooter did slow the group down - especially vs just running through the parks with the kids. I realized I could stop for photos, keep the group moving and catch up to them fairly easily.

"Keep going, I'll catch up!" Became my call.

Hello Liberty Square - you can see Al in his scooter and parts of the rest of the group ahead.

_DSC0239-X2.jpg

Yes I have time to shoot this.

_DSC0240-X4.jpg

I haven't been in the Hall of Presidents since I was 9 in 1976. In 2013 we just missed it on our last day, so I promised myself the next time I was in MK I would see it. Unfortunately, it was still down.

_DSC0241-X2.jpg

OK - time to catch up with everyone else heading to Splash Mountain...

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom