1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Trip Report When can we do this again? A Fractal family Odyssey.

Discussion in 'WDW Trip Reports' started by fractal, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Mr Ferret 88

Mr Ferret 88 Situational swearer Premium Member

I am still figuring out how to afford to hire @fractal to come and be my official holiday photographer ...

2. fractal

fractal Original Poster Premium Member

Thanks and I agree!

They were so much fun! thanks again!

I highly recommend you take a look.

Lol! Thanks @Missy_May ! Brilliant idea!

thank you @Songbird76 !

Not good.

Thanks @Matty30 ! We had a great time together.

Thanks Billy!

thank you @gdisneyfans !

thanks @sheriffwoody ! Looks like that account does that a lot.

Lol! I know, right?

Happens a lot unfortunately.

Thanks @ajrwdwgirl !

sounds good to me!

Thanks @disneypearl ! He is lightyears ahead of me as far as putting together and editing videos.

another option!

I do feel better.

thanks @MinnieM123 !

I offer installment plans. Lol!

3. fractal

Good Morning Saturday at Walt Disney World!

[​IMG]

Because of the new land we spent a lot of time at Animal Kingdom this trip. On this day we had FPs to River Journey, Everest and Safari but those could easily be changed. I asked Sterg and Toni if they wanted to change them and go to another park, but they not only declined that offer they wanted to hit AK at rope drop and wait for Flight of Passage. Who was I to argue?

Up early and raring to go! Toni, although showing some "teenager" tendencies is definitely different than her older brother and sister. Neither of those two would have gotten up this early at age "almost 16" unless hit with a cattle prod or even worse - threatened will the loss of their phone.

[​IMG]

Extra Magic Hours started at 8am so we planned on getting to the park around 7:45ish for the opening and make a mad dash to FoP. It seemed we were not the only ones with that plan.

After we finally get through that mess we are then led to another line in the park to have our magic bands scanned proving we are staying at a Disney resort.

From there we hustled to Pandora. I lead the kids through the gift shop that I was stuck in during the rainstorm shaving some time. "Alright Pops! Good move!"

We enter Pandora, cut to the right and zigzag our way down to the FoP entrance. Our experience with FoP taught us that the Standby line began to the left of the entrance and then into the "mountain". We were further educated that morning that the early standby line goes to the right and towards, onto and over the bridge connecting Pandora to Africa (Festival of the Lion King area). This video will give you a good idea of just how long the line was!

The wait was listed at 180 minutes which we at first thought had to be wrong. It seems they let people in the park well before 8am and have them make there way to Pandora and wait there. If you don't have a fastpass, either you get to AK at 7am and wait for an hour or more until the ride opens - or you just wait in line during the day for an hour or more. Either way you are going to wait awhile.

This is a photo of the line...from in front of Festival of the Lion King!

[​IMG]

We all agreed it was crazy to wait and decided that it would be far more interesting to explore what promised to be a near empty "rest of" Animal Kingdom!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Boy were we right! The calm, quiet and peaceful serenity of the rest of the park was an amazing contrast to the loud, rush of the Pandora pandemonium we had just experienced.

[​IMG]

Literally no one here. I was starting to feel a little like @Tuvalu !

[​IMG]

Wait, I see somebody ahead!

[​IMG]

One would never guess that at this moment there were thousands of people in Animal Kingdom and thousands more piling in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Picture time! Show off those $thousands of dental work your poor Father with the crooked teeth paid for!

[​IMG]

I was really enjoying how the early morning sunlight was making the park glow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I knew it was going to be a great morning for photos.

[​IMG]

But, as we were getting ready to embark on yet another Expedition to the Forbidden Mountain I still had an unfinished photographic challenge; To capture the Yeti on camera and be the one to finally prove her existence!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  4. sheriffwoody

sheriffwoody Well-Known Member

OMG at that line! My husband's coworker is going soon and staying off site so they couldn't get an FoP FP, and they're going to try rope dropping. We told him to get there at least an hour early and go on a non-EMH day (since they're off site). Shew...hope it's not like that every day!

5. krisri18

krisri18 Member

That line is ridiculous! But your photos are spectacular! :D

6. LieutLaww

LieutLaww Underwater Basket Weaver Premium Member

Whelp as I will be at AK on my first day and its an EMH day looks like I will be getting into AK asap as I was unable to snag a FP for FOP and your pics prove you need to get there early.

littleroo, MinnieM123 and fractal like this.
  7. TheMouseFan

TheMouseFan Well-Known Member

Good call on skipping FOP!! And I love that your decision meant you could get all of those other beautiful AK pics!! I never get tired of looking at or exploring AK!

littleroo and fractal like this.
  8. Tiggertoo56

Tiggertoo56 Well-Known Member

Been reading your TR again to view the photos. Shown to my family who also agree that they are fantastic- now been asked to check if you'd mind if I used one of the pics of the fireworks for our PC desktop? Wouldn't use it without checking and no way would say it was mine - everyone knows what mine are like:rolleyes:
    Watching the videos too. :joyfull:

littleroo, fractal and bee like this.
  9. fractal

Yes, you can - thanks for asking!

littleroo, bee and Tiggertoo56 like this.
  10. *Flynnderella*

*Flynnderella* Well-Known Member

I already love AK but those early morning photos just make me love it even more :inlove:!! Such a beautiful park & you capture it perfectly! :)

11. fractal

We did plenty of praying yesterday for everyone in Florida. Last week my in-laws, Al and Sue drove up to our home in Pennsylvania from their new place near Clearwater. A nerve wracking time and we await word today on what damages may be. Thankfully the worst-case scenario with Irma did not play out but she was still dangerous and remains so. I hope everyone in her path is safe.

Back to a warm sunny day in late July.

Everest was a walk-on. We didn't get front seats but close.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Higher and higher.

The sun was rising over Walt Disney World.

[​IMG]

Bird on a stick was still working. I'm a fan of the bird. It also diverts attention from the pile of hair bands.

[​IMG]

Backwards we go, then forward as we barreled through the mountain chased by the Yeti.

She almost got us (maybe if she would be working properly), but I also (finally) got her!

A respectable photo of our dear, damaged Yeti..

[​IMG]

In hindsight, if I really wanted a good shot of the Yeti I should have switched to manual focusing, focused somewhere close to infinity and set my shutter to speed priority (rapid fire) and betting on at least one good shot.
    Here I lucked out a bit that my autofocus managed to latch. A faster lens would have also helped (vs. f/2.8). There's a better shot of the Yeti in my future but I'll take this one for sure.

Indeed we do.

[​IMG]

Of course, one ride with no waiting prompted another (or 2).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Happy faces. We were having fun!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    LSV, becca_, chrisd68 and 23 others like this.
  12. fractal

More Yeti artifacts.

[​IMG]

maybe time for a new radio.

[​IMG]

Great start to the day!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Best shot I got of the temple painting. I found it interesting to look at the details you miss while passing quickly underneath.

[​IMG]

After our third Expedition I called it quits and decided to photograph some newer areas while Sterg and Toni continue to ride EE.

Just in case someone has too many magic beers I suppose.

[​IMG]

These little creepy dolls.

[​IMG]

creepy dolls always remind me of this guy form "Trilogy of Terror". 1970's ABC Sunday Night Movie of the Week.

[​IMG]

Eye see you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The new River of Lights stadium offers some great new sight lines.

[​IMG]

Up Next - another WDWMagic meet-up, Showtime with Yia-Yia, and some disappointments.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    LSV, becca_, DisneyBound2017 and 30 others like this.
  13. Lyssa

Lyssa Member

Yay. It's my first day back to school with students [we started 3 weeks late thanks to Harvey hitting Houston] and I got to wake up to another awesome update and amazing pictures :) thanks for starting my day off right!

littleroo, DznyRktekt and fractal like this.
  14. MeeskaMooska0714

MeeskaMooska0714 Active Member

Glad to hear Al and Sue are safe with you guys and hoping for minimal to no damage. Beautiful morning Animal Kingdom photos! Yay for capturing the yeti!!

15. newhorizons1

newhorizons1 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about the Instagram ordeal! Glad it was mostly quickly straightened out.

So glad to hear your in-laws are safe!

16. fractal

Good advise!

Lol, Thanks!

Goodluck!, the good news is it's worth the wait (at least the first time).

thanks and same here!

thanks and it really is a beautiful park!

Happy to hear things starting to return to normal, glad I could help start your day off!

Thanks - they got word today that their home was undamaged! So we are celebrating. Yes, finally got that ******.

Thank @newhorizons1 ! In-laws are happy tonight knowing their home was spared.

17. fractal

15 - 20 minutes of just me, my camera and a entire arena of new Animal Kingdom details.

[​IMG]

There was literally no one else in the stadium.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Studying how the sunlight hit different objects was an enjoyable exercise.

[​IMG]

The small breeze added to the atmosphere.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shooting my 55mm lens wide open (f/1.8) was fun!

[​IMG]

Sterg and Toni finally got there fill of Everest.

[​IMG]

Are were ready to explore.

[​IMG]

LSV, becca_, DisneyBound2017 and 25 others like this.
  18. George

George Liker of Things Premium Member

Great report as per the usual. I've found that when I organize a big family trip that Scotch coupled with the occasional gin and tonic is key. Also, I love the HoP. Several years ago, I met @sshindel and I indulged in everything that is hard for me to do when traveling with any other subset of my family....HoP, CoP, Tiki Birds, Country Bear Jamboree (words can't convey how much my wife hates this...we did it together once and it was made very clear that a repeat viewing may be grounds for divorce), American Adventure, etc. When I got back home and mentioned this to the wife and kids the response I got was, "Good. Now next time we go you won't suggest any of those things."

19. docdebbi

docdebbi Well-Known Member

Sorry I'm a little behind but I just got to see the video of boys' day.
    And I noticed one very glaring omission. Sorry, but Fractal Jr is just not ready for prime time. A true professional would have known that there was trouble a brewing at HEA and instead of "having your back" should have been filming the beat down you were about to give the intruders in front of you. Or at least have interfered and help create a little magic when the confrontation was fizzling out.
    Alas, the pacifist photojournalist missed the best footage of the day. (but saved a little of his father's bloodshed).:rolleyes:
    PS- you really should be proud and honored, he is following in his father's footsteps and doing a great job at it.

littleroo, fractal and MinnieM123 like this.
  20. fractal

"Kali River!" "Let's do Kali River!" Tony said with much enthusiasm.

[​IMG]

Sterg agreed but I wasn't quite sure how safe my camera would be. The last time we did Kali River, a Dad on our raft tempted the Hindu Gods and got absolutely drenched...and there's that whole "being in wet clothes" thing with me. After fighting off the pleas from my children I watched as they went in line.

I've never seen a 10 minute standby wait for Kali River. Ever.

[​IMG]

I was kinda content waiting with my camera, but another part of me wished I had joined them. In fact, I kinda screwed up because I could have went with them through the line and then taken the "chicken exit" if I didn't feel confident I could keep the camera dry.

Luckily the apes (not monkeys) decided to put on an early morning show.

[​IMG]

I was guessing the white ape was the "big mama".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Usually there's a CM around to educate and answer questions on the apes but not that morning.

Just hanging around.

[​IMG]

Yep. Pretty sure it's a Mama.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I waited on the bridge before the Kali queue line.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought about manning the water guns to spray Sterg and Toni as they rode by, but decided to shoot them with the camera instead.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Big Smiles! Looks like they had fun. I was getting more mad I missed it.

[​IMG]

I was shooting with my 85mm 1.8 lens and at least I was happy with its performance.

[​IMG]

The siblings had a great time and made fun of me for not going on.

Just shut up and smile!

[​IMG]

Can we have a "non-Goofy" smile please?

[​IMG]

Thank you!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    becca_, Gurt, George and 27 others like this.