wheelchair

fotofrog62

Original Poster
I have taken my mom 3 times. We always run into a problem with the distance from the front busses to our room. Too much walking for her. You can get a wheelchair at the resorts but too hard to get one when you need it when you get back at night. Not many people around then. Last time we went I had a friend make a coverup in a disney theme with padding. She made side pockets to put misc items and water bottles in. We took this with us all over and it saved us on a rental while there, even in the parks and no one questioned us anywhere.

disneynut4u

When I took my mom & stepdad, mom rented a scooter from each park. That got extremely expensive. Plus the wait to get one & return it was bothersome. The other times when I've taken my dad (he lives with me), we've taken a wheelchair from home. I'll never go back without one!!! We bought a carpenter's belt (canvas type with 3 pockets) and tied it to the back of his chair. It worked really well to put maps, cups, etc. in. This year, I made one with material I had on hand. (he's a retired fireman, & he had a "flame" print material. This will identify our chair easily. I also found a basket that can be attached to wheelchairs underneath. Can't have too many pockets!!!

fotofrog62

Original Poster
When I took my mom & stepdad, mom rented a scooter from each park. That got extremely expensive. Plus the wait to get one & return it was bothersome. The other times when I've taken my dad (he lives with me), we've taken a wheelchair from home. I'll never go back without one!!! We bought a carpenter's belt (canvas type with 3 pockets) and tied it to the back of his chair. It worked really well to put maps, cups, etc. in. This year, I made one with material I had on hand. (he's a retired fireman, & he had a "flame" print material. This will identify our chair easily. I also found a basket that can be attached to wheelchairs underneath. Can't have too many pockets!!!

Carpenter belt is an excellent idea. There was 4 of us when we drove from WI in a 4 dr car. There was no way we could have fit one more thing in that car. We were lucky to fit the kids in the car when we came home. Goofy, Pluto, Stitch, Mickey had to squeeze in the back seat with 2 people for the long ride home.

ShadowWind

I rent a mobility scooter from an outside source when I visit WDW. It gives you the freedom to use it everywhere (including Disney Transportation where handicapped travel is possible) and it's generally cheaper per day as they usually have a discount for so many days. They will deliver it right to the hotel so it's there when you check in, and you can return it back to the hotel desk when you leave and the company will pick it up. If you have trouble with it during your stay, they'll come and fix it for you or replace it.

There is an article I wrote up for Squidoo about mobility scooters and my experiences with them. I didn't see a rule about not posting links, but if there is one, then I hope the moderator will forgive me as I'm new here. But this describes it better than I could here.

http://www.squidoo.com/wdwdisabled

The Mom

Premium Member
When I used a resort one for my mother, they just let us keep it for our whole stay, so I never rented one. She didn't use one at home (at that time) but couldn't manage the walking. (She used a walker at home)

tigger248

When I used a resort one for my mother, they just let us keep it for our whole stay, so I never rented one. She didn't use one at home (at that time) but couldn't manage the walking. (She used a walker at home)

That's the way it has always worked for us too. We rent from the front desk and it's ours to use for the duration of our stay. Most of the time they even give you a lock to lock it up at rides to prevent theft (which unfortunately can happen as we've sadly found out). The only thing is, don't accept one from your resort with a park logo on it. Most of the time they have the resort's logo, but the last time we rented at the resort they gave us a "Magic Kingdom" wheelchair that we almost didn't get back out of the Magic Kingdom to return to the resort!

My brother has his own wheelchair now, which will be nicer and more comfy for him. But should the occasion happen to appear, we at least know that the resort rentals are there!

bjlc57

we rented a scooter from an outside source.. and for $200 for 8 days.. it was great and well worth the money.. and far cheaper then the $50 per day from Disney..

plus the scooter was much faster then the Disney scooter.. and every bus took us on.. EVERY BUS..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom