wheelchair questions and more~

Dwarful

well after much discussion it appears that we will have an extending family vacation in 2004. However, I do have a few questions for all of you so here we go & please forgive the length of the post!

My mom has decided she would like to go with us to wdw and bring along my nephew who will be 7 and this will be his first visit. My mom does have some heart problems and my husband was thinking maybe she should use a wheelchair. Mom will be 67 on our trip and the dates we can pick from are May 28- June 6 or June 4-13. will we see much difference between those dates heat, crowd and park hour wise?

Is is difficult to meet your group after the rides and will our group be in seperate areas for parades and such? We will have a total of 4 adults (me, hubby, sister and mom) and 5 kids ages (13,9,7,7,& 4). We will be staying onsite most likely at the all stars unless we get some great bargain codes. Mom can do some walking we are just concerned with her ability to make it through the whole day and of course staying onsite gives her the option to go back to the resort for a break. Anyway, thanks for any help you all can provide in helping make this a magical vacation.

kal1484

My grandpa sprained his ancle on the way down one year, so he had to use a wheelchair, and the last two trips we had with my grandmother, we used a wheelchair. It was great for them. Especially my grandmother, because sometimes there isn't a lot of space to sit. It was also great because me, or one of my sisters could sit on their lap if we got tired. Pushing the wheelchair got tiring sometimes, but overall my parents thought it was a great idea!

Upvote 0

tigsmom

I love the fact that you are concerned about your mom, but please let her make the decision about the w/c. I'm sure she feels a little embarassed about maybe holding you back. (I think it's a good idea to get one though) The weather should be great (not much difference), but it does get warm in Fl. in May. Being onsite is great for resting (for kids and adults.)

If you all go on a ride together you should all leave at the same time. If not just pick a place to meet beforehand that is close by to the exit. We had a group of 9 - 4 adults and 5 kids (13-3). It took a little extra to keep us all together at times, but we made it.:sohappy:

Make sure to take breaks during the day. There are plenty of benches and of course all those rides.

Upvote 0

mrsswat

we just had my mom with us for a trip over mother's day, she too, has limited mobility due to medical problems. Let me tell you, the was not a CM who didn't bend over backwards to help us without being obnoxious about it or making my mom feel the least bit uncomfortable. She was afraid that they would think she was just doing it to get to the front, etc. But immediatly after arriving at the Poly, she felt completely at ease. I wish I could say as much for some guest. There are some rude people who will try to cut in front of you on a whim, then look at you as if you were in the wrong for running into them. So, fear not the CMs, fear the rude public.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

Original Poster
Thanks for the input, we were thinking it would be more the wrath of the genral public that we would face the biggest problems with. And since we will be traveling w/so many kids and all, we just wondered how it would be. we have time to decide but I thought I would see how other guests handled the situation.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom