What's Your Idea for the Next Upcharge / Money Making Experience?

Disneyhead'71

I wasn't alive in the 70s, but know it was more expensive in general to fly than now. I refer you to my previous post.

I bet fly more than you (sometimes over 100,000 miles/yr and almost always 50,000). Flying is cheaper than ever and I LOVE the new airline models. I generally fly first or biz class with credit card reward miles internationally and use my American Platinum status to upgrade domestically.

In the 1970s, I know for a fact my mom paid $450 in 1970s money to fly from Texas to New York. That's well over $1,000 today. You can make the same flight for $250-$350 today, all day.
Yes, you fly a good bit more than I do. Especially now that EVERYONE in my family thought my idea of running away from home and moving to FL was a good idea.

Anyway, even in first class, the experience of flying, particularly domestically, has become courser and more frenetic.

A lot of people say that that is just the direction of society, but I'm not sure that the corporate race to the lowest common denominator isn't actually the ones dragging us that way by our noses. Over crowding, over selling, over charging, up selling us on our frustrations. Take the airline model of bag fees and what not and breed it with the cruise line model of RFID swiping and shove it into a destination theme park resort.

$uddenly, the thought of family charging privs on those adorable little bracelets becomes pretty frickin' scary.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
I disagree completely regarding air travel. You know how all that used to be included? It's because the ticket was FAR more expensive on an average basis 30 years ago

Except the comparison point before the nickle-and-diming isn't 30 years ago.. it's about 10. It was the soaring cost of oil and the recession that lead to the run to charge for bags, seats, food, even pillows. For instance, American started charging for first bag in 2008. The success of Southwest... internet fare shopping.. the rising costs.. and success of the 'bargin' carriers doing it.. lead to the mainstream carriers getting onboard with the nickle&dime business model. It's also why in this time period we had new consumer protection changes forcing carriers to quote total cost, not being able to get away with advertising fares before fees, etc.

Disney isn't necessarily making the "free" stuff now cost money. They are adding new experiences with additional value and charging a fee. The bus service backstage didn't exist before. It does now, for a fee. The preferred seating, dessert parties, etc are simply special seating that limits the crowd and guarantees a good spot. That wasn't guaranteed before without lining up for it. They are just converting the lining up for it for a fee and also providing snacks. I really like it to be honest.
They are creating bundles of service you largely had for free before... under the guise of new values. Instead of addressing legitimate customer service issues (new security overhead, long bus waits, overcrowded buses) the solution is providing 'premium services' that you can buy your way out of things. That is not customer service - that's opportunistic abuse.

flynnibus

Premium Member
In the 1970s, I know for a fact my mom paid $450 in 1970s money to fly from Texas to New York. That's well over $1,000 today. You can make the same flight for $250-$350 today, all day.

Go lookup 'deregulation' and go do some case study research on southwest and their impact on the industry -- and realize you are comparing apples and pineapples.

Chef Mickey

Go lookup 'deregulation' and go do some case study research on southwest and their impact on the industry -- and realize you are comparing apples and pineapples.
You're referring to an unbundled vs bundled ticket model. Guess what? Airlines can't make money on the old model. Even today, airlines have an awful business that practically makes no money, at least with any predictability or consistency. Why do you think Warren Buffett has said never invest in an airline stock?

I went to Wharton...done case studies on airlines before. Southwest had some impact, but they are peanuts compared to the big boys in terms of routes, miles, and cities serviced...particularly internationally.

The reason they've moved to a fee based model is because the wild swings in commodity prices, high competition, high maintenance and capital costs, etc constantly pressure their profitability. They have to sell snacks, charge for bags, pack planes, and charge fees to even stay viable.

The days of no change fees, fully refundable tickets, food, drinks, and roomy planes are gone...for a reason. It doesn't work.

Disney certainly isn't the airline industry and hasn't moved to this model, but it's similar in that Disney is going to make very little on park tickets. They have enormous capital expense, labor cost, maintenance costs, etc just to open their doors. They are going to make money on the food, merchandise, and special events - the incremental cash you pay to do stuff while in the park. Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:

Chef Mickey

Except the comparison point before the nickle-and-diming isn't 30 years ago.. it's about 10. It was the soaring cost of oil and the recession that lead to the run to charge for bags, seats, food, even pillows. For instance, American started charging for first bag in 2008. The success of Southwest... internet fare shopping.. the rising costs.. and success of the 'bargin' carriers doing it.. lead to the mainstream carriers getting onboard with the nickle&dime business model. It's also why in this time period we had new consumer protection changes forcing carriers to quote total cost, not being able to get away with advertising fares before fees, etc.
That's the business model though and they have to do what they have to do to stay viable. American stilled filed for bankruptcy in 2011 and lost money in nearly every quarter until 2015. Like I said, Southwest is not a viable option to fly many, many places. They've done a nice job, but their fares are getting quite a bit more expensive.
They are creating bundles of service you largely had for free before... under the guise of new values. Instead of addressing legitimate customer service issues (new security overhead, long bus waits, overcrowded buses) the solution is providing 'premium services' that you can buy your way out of things. That is not customer service - that's opportunistic abuse.
What specifically have they started charging for that you had free before, apples to apples? Don't say fireworks viewing because it's still 90% free in terms of the areas you can go, plus they added value to the part you pay for in special seating area, food, limited people, etc.

Chef Mickey

Yes, you fly a good bit more than I do. Especially now that EVERYONE in my family thought my idea of running away from home and moving to FL was a good idea.

Anyway, even in first class, the experience of flying, particularly domestically, has become courser and more frenetic.

A lot of people say that that is just the direction of society, but I'm not sure that the corporate race to the lowest common denominator isn't actually the ones dragging us that way by our noses. Over crowding, over selling, over charging, up selling us on our frustrations. Take the airline model of bag fees and what not and breed it with the cruise line model of RFID swiping and shove it into a destination theme park resort.

$uddenly, the thought of family charging privs on those adorable little bracelets becomes pretty frickin' scary.
Airline profits are still largely awful despite all the new fees...the business sucks.

I don't find flying that "frenetic" once you get good at it and know your way around airports. I am TSA-Pre/Global Entry so I avoid the zoo most of the time. Flying is safer, the planes are better, and you can go many places cheaper than ever before.

Chef Mickey

We know. A search shows you've told us at least 10 times now.
I make no qualms about talking that up and being proud of it. I would have think I've said it more than 10 times...There are 90,000 members here. One might think I'd need to have said it a lot more than 10 times to ensure everyone knows, right?

I just have to remind people when they tell me to go read a case study...

copcarguyp71

A Bus Driver Q & A session... hehe

Also, what about Parking Lot Memories? For a nominal fee you can have a meet and greet with parking cast and have a picture taken with your parking lot row number...

Bus Depot cupcake party anyone?

Parking lot photopass...pictures taken as you pay parking fee or while jockeying for a parking space to forever commemorate the look on your face while being bent over with no lube...

BigRedDad

Disney has large teams of Imagineers to come up with ways to get more money from you. They have done it with FPs and I have a huge feeling they will expand charging for FPs. Deluxe resorts will be able to get more and reserve before others, etc. Expand EMH even further to deter people from staying offsite for 60-80% less. They can change the passes you buy. They could have one price for passes that are only good until 5PM and charge more for passes that go later in the night.

However, I think the biggest money maker change coming will be charging for convenient restrooms. Yes, they have to provide a free facility. However, the rest they can attach Magic Bands to. In order to go to a convenient restroom, you scan your MB for a fee. Otherwise, you have to go to the restroom at the entrance of the park.

The other one is a bus service fee. While going to your stop from a park, you can scan your MB to be charged $1-$5 to get a bus to your stop faster. No bus shows up until they get $100.

drizgirl

Disney has large teams of Imagineers to come up with ways to get more money from you. They have done it with FPs and I have a huge feeling they will expand charging for FPs. Deluxe resorts will be able to get more and reserve before others, etc. Expand EMH even further to deter people from staying offsite for 60-80% less. They can change the passes you buy. They could have one price for passes that are only good until 5PM and charge more for passes that go later in the night.

However, I think the biggest money maker change coming will be charging for convenient restrooms. Yes, they have to provide a free facility. However, the rest they can attach Magic Bands to. In order to go to a convenient restroom, you scan your MB for a fee. Otherwise, you have to go to the restroom at the entrance of the park.

The other one is a bus service fee. While going to your stop from a park, you can scan your MB to be charged $1-$5 to get a bus to your stop faster. No bus shows up until they get $100.

Where are all those fastpasses they intend to sell coming from?

And I don't think imagineers sit around thinking of ways to get money out of people. I think that's the marketing folks.

James Norrie

The point I was trying to make is that these things add up. Perhaps the fireworks viewing areas bother someone. It might not be rational, they might think it's having a bigger impact that it actually is, but it is going to bother some people. A little for some, a lot for others.

Then they see another up-charge experience, and then another. At what point does it feel like the extras are obnoxious? At what point does it feel like you're missing out on a good chunk of the Disney experience that you thought you paid for?

Someone who goes on a cheap cruise might be more forgiving at the inevitable string of attempts to separate passengers from their money. The budget airlines that charge for every little add-on are accepted because the base price is so low.

At Disney, you're paying a price that suggests you'll be getting a premium experience. Disney's prices do not suggest one is buying a basic experience that they should expect to have to pay to "plus" as they go.
I go to the movie theater expecting a premium experience (at 17 bucks a ticket). Does that mean my Popcorn (another 12 bucks), Soda (another 9 Bucks), and Candy (Another 7 bucks) should be included, as I paid to get into the theater so they should be happy I'm bringing my business to them, and they should give me a better experience because of that???

Patcheslee

$5 per person to catch a bus that doesn't require strollers to be folded. They would probably make a ton of money from frustrated parents. Surprised they don't have designated busses for disability access set up for free, it's the least disney could do to make things easier.

Disney.Mike

I wish FP+ was an upcharge, this would weed down the people using it and allow people that stayed on resort/paid the upcharge to get more and better times

JohnD

Each monorail will have a designated 'luxury' cabin, where the cleanliness and quality of furnishings will always match those of opening day 1971. For an extra $20+tax per person, you too can experience what it was like to be a Disney guest in the 70s.

Allow guests to sit up front with the driver again . . . for a price. However, you must sign a waiver absolving Disney of all liability before boarding.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom