What's Your Idea for the Next Upcharge / Money Making Experience?

Wendy Pleakley

The last part sounded like you were upset about fireworks viewing areas, etc. If not, good...you shouldn't be upset.

The point I was trying to make is that these things add up. Perhaps the fireworks viewing areas bother someone. It might not be rational, they might think it's having a bigger impact that it actually is, but it is going to bother some people. A little for some, a lot for others.

Then they see another up-charge experience, and then another. At what point does it feel like the extras are obnoxious? At what point does it feel like you're missing out on a good chunk of the Disney experience that you thought you paid for?

Someone who goes on a cheap cruise might be more forgiving at the inevitable string of attempts to separate passengers from their money. The budget airlines that charge for every little add-on are accepted because the base price is so low.

At Disney, you're paying a price that suggests you'll be getting a premium experience. Disney's prices do not suggest one is buying a basic experience that they should expect to have to pay to "plus" as they go.

IMFearless

Castle Photography Copyright License Fee. A small fee is charged to each guest, per photograph taken, which includes Cinderella's Castle in the background.

As the most photographed building in the world a 5 cent fee would quickly add up, and most guests would happily pay it to capture the #magic

DisneyAndADoleWhip

1.Preferred benches! For a small fee, you can have access to preferred benches in select locations in the parks! Cupcake included!
(Additional fee for cupcake. Please refer to your "Preferred Benches" Map)

2. New automated trash cans for VIP guests! Just a wave of your MagicBand and the lid opens up!
(Automated trash can app costs $4.99 per day. May not function on all park trash cans. Consult your "Trash Can Map" for details.)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
A fee for each ride. Hear me out...

Lower the entrance fee to like just 10 bucks. Then charge a low fee for each attraction.
  • Goofy Barnstormer? Fifty cents.
  • Buzz Lightyear? Two dollars.
  • Peter Pan? Four dollars.
  • 7DMT: Five dollars.
To make it easy to remember, you can assign them grades. And to make payment easy and provide a break for large families, you can sell coupon books where you can get a bunch of tickets to each grade class at a discount.

This way, everything is an upcharge. And the more popular and more expensive attractions charge a bigger upcharge. It's only fair, right?

Ahh... who am I kidding. They 'd never go for this. It goes totally against everything Walt was all about. Walt would never charge a child an upcharge to a big ride just because it was expensive and popular. Never.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Since we have private cabanas now, we should have private ride vehicles. For $50 per day per ride you get a ride vehicle that is exclusively for your use.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Express hot plastic cheese pass. For 10 dollars a day (7 with deluxe meal plan) you can get not one , not two, but three glorious squirts of viscous cheese food.

HurricaneHanna

A fee for each ride. Hear me out...

Lower the entrance fee to like just 10 bucks. Then charge a low fee for each attraction.
  • Goofy Barnstormer? Fifty cents.
  • Buzz Lightyear? Two dollars.
  • Peter Pan? Four dollars.
  • 7DMT: Five dollars.
To make it easy to remember, you can assign them grades. And to make payment easy and provide a break for large families, you can sell coupon books where you can get a bunch of tickets to each grade class at a discount.

This way, everything is an upcharge. And the more popular and more expensive attractions charge a bigger upcharge. It's only fair, right?

Ahh... who am I kidding. They 'd never go for this. It goes totally against everything Walt was all about. Walt would never charge a child an upcharge to a big ride just because it was expensive and popular. Never.
@MisterPenguin your humor is not lost on me. I remember very well my first trip to Disney World, made possible only because my father had saved to make it happen. Despite what some people seem to think, Disney World was never free. It was never a place where a family with a tight budget could just walk through the entrance and have a day of carefree, all you can ride, all you can eat, everything you could possibly want, day. It was expensive, relatively, from the start. For those who don't know- you had to have a ticket for almost every ride or attraction. The tickets were sold in booklets of varying cost with different tiers of tickets. I remember having the least expensive booklet. It had only one E ticket. I had to choose what to use it on. I used it on Space Mountain and waited in line for 2 1/2 hours! Yes, even in the 70s there were lines! Hard to believe, right? That line was swelteringly hot too and once I'd had my ride I was sweaty, thirsty. Deliriously thirsty actually. We had to search for a water fountain because it was the only drink we could have. The beverages being sold were too expensive for my family. We didn't snack in the park either. My father had decided to splurge on a dinner at the Contemporary that evening, so after eating a sandwich in the car that morning upon arrival we knew we wouldn't be eating again until dinner. And that splurge at the Contemporary, while it was amazing, it was not a free for all. We had entrees, and one soda a piece (refills were not free). We all shared one dessert. As for souvenirs, with my paltry allowance the only thing I could afford in the giftshop were a few post cards. I had a fantastic day despite the frugality. A day I never forgot. A very special day. I didn't focus on what I couldn't have. I didn't dwell on the fact that everywhere I looked other children had fatter ticket books, and cotton candy, and balloons. It never occurred to me that I was entitled to those things because they should be less expensive or simply handed out. My point is, it's never been within the means of everyone to go to Disney World. It's never been a human right to take vacation. There will always be someone who has something that you don't. Remember to find pleasure in what you do have.

wdwfan4ver

Disney's Villain Meet and Greet Experience. This experience allows you to meet Villains from pixar, Disney, and Lucas but it comes with price!. Here is examples of this:
  • Wicked queen from Snow white - $6.00
  • Chernabog - $10.00
  • Ursula - $8.00
  • Oogie Boggie - $10.00
  • Jafar -$8.00
  • Captain Hook -$6.00
  • Wicked Stepmother - $6.00
  • Malefiecent -$6.00
  • Madam Mim -$6.00
  • Claude Frollo - $6.00
  • Hans -$6.00
  • Cruella De Vil - $8.00
  • Scar - $8.00
  • Gastan - $6.00
  • General Grievous - $6.00
  • Palpatine - $8.00
  • Darth Vader - $10.00
  • Jubba the Hutt -$10.00
  • Darth Maul - $8.00
  • Count Dooku -$8.00
  • Hopper -$8.00
  • Stinky Pete $6.00
  • Zurg $8.00
  • Syndrome - $8.00
  • Chef Skinner - $6.00
  • Henry J Waternoose III - $6.00
I already I left Villains out, but the ones I mentioned are Just Examples in terms of prices for meeting some Villains.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disney's Villain Meet and Greet Experience. This experience allows you to meet Villains from pixar, Disney, and Lucas but it comes with price!. Here is examples of this:
  • Wicked queen from Snow white - $6.00
  • Chernabog - $10.00
  • Ursula - $8.00
  • Oogie Boggie - $10.00
  • Jafar -$8.00
  • Captain Hook -$6.00
  • Wicked Stepmother - $6.00
  • Malefiecent -$6.00
  • Madam Mim -$6.00
  • Claude Frollo - $6.00
  • Hans -$6.00
  • Cruella De Vil - $8.00
  • Scar - $8.00
  • Gastan - $6.00
  • General Grievous - $6.00
  • Palpatine - $8.00
  • Darth Vader - $10.00
  • Jubba the Hutt -$10.00
  • Darth Maul - $8.00
  • Count Dooku -$8.00
  • Hopper -$8.00
  • Stinky Pete $6.00
  • Zurg $8.00
  • Syndrome - $8.00
  • Chef Skinner - $6.00
  • Henry J Waternoose III - $6.00
I already I left Villains out, but the ones I mentioned are Just Examples in terms of prices for meeting some Villains.

In less than week, I get to meet four of them for only $110!!

Disneyhead'71

Why do people take exception to ancillary services being provided for an extra fee? It's really not a bad thing if you have the option to gain an incremental service experience for a small fee.

Airlines do it with preferred seating, extra bags, snacks, etc. This is not just something Disney does.

The key is, do you want the service offered because it offers something of value or not? It's called running a business and consumers can make choices.
So you are supporting this? Have you flown recently? Did you fly in the '70s?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Why do people take exception to ancillary services being provided for an extra fee? It's really not a bad thing if you have the option to gain an incremental service experience for a small fee.

Airlines do it with preferred seating, extra bags, snacks, etc. This is not just something Disney does.

*facepalm*

Because those preferred seats? Used to not be preferred seats...
Extra bags? We used to be able to take enough bags for the majority of people without being charged extra..
Snacks? They used to be included...

You just single handedly painted the picture of how people have been REDUCING services and converting them to FEEs.

Airlines did it straight up to drive revenues... no hiding it at all. In the face of increased fare competition from higher efficency carriers and with increased costs, they turned to monetizing things they used to do for free. And they are pretty much universally looked upon as hated...

Do you really want Disney to be hated and frowned upon like Airlines and Cable companies?

Chef Mickey

*facepalm*

Because those preferred seats? Used to not be preferred seats...
Extra bags? We used to be able to take enough bags for the majority of people without being charged extra..
Snacks? They used to be included...

You just single handedly painted the picture of how people have been REDUCING services and converting them to FEEs.

Airlines did it straight up to drive revenues... no hiding it at all. In the face of increased fare competition from higher efficency carriers and with increased costs, they turned to monetizing things they used to do for free. And they are pretty much universally looked upon as hated...

Do you really want Disney to be hated and frowned upon like Airlines and Cable companies?
I disagree completely regarding air travel. You know how all that used to be included? It's because the ticket was FAR more expensive on an average basis 30 years ago. Flying is cheaper than ever. I am American Platinum, so my bags are free...but I like the fee because you only pay for what you use. I am flying to LAX for $170 round trip and sitting in premium economy and flying a 787-800 on my return.

Disney isn't necessarily making the "free" stuff now cost money. They are adding new experiences with additional value and charging a fee. The bus service backstage didn't exist before. It does now, for a fee. The preferred seating, dessert parties, etc are simply special seating that limits the crowd and guarantees a good spot. That wasn't guaranteed before without lining up for it. They are just converting the lining up for it for a fee and also providing snacks. I really like it to be honest.

Chef Mickey

So you are supporting this? Have you flown recently? Did you fly in the '70s?
I wasn't alive in the 70s, but know it was more expensive in general to fly than now. I refer you to my previous post.

I bet fly more than you (sometimes over 100,000 miles/yr and almost always 50,000). Flying is cheaper than ever and I LOVE the new airline models. I generally fly first or biz class with credit card reward miles internationally and use my American Platinum status to upgrade domestically.

In the 1970s, I know for a fact my mom paid $450 in 1970s money to fly from Texas to New York. That's well over $1,000 today. You can make the same flight for $250-$350 today, all day.

Bacon

Pay stalls in rest rooms. Use your magic band to pooh!
L9YVy_f-thumbnail-100-0_s-600x0.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom