Whats you go to lens in the park?

Daniel Johnson

Original Poster
Full-frame sensors are the same size as 35mm film (24mmx36mm). So the crop sensors have a "crop-factor," meaning they are basically cutting away the edges that would appear on a full-frame sensor. I assume they are physically smaller, but I am not sure. So if you shot something on a full-frame camera, then shot it again at the same focal length on your 3300, it would be cropped in by 1.5x straight out of the camera.

I hope that makes sense...I'm not good at explaining technical stuff. Pictures say it better :D http://digital-photography-school.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/full-frame-crop-factor.jpg
That image speaks volumes. So, a cropped sensor is basically a higher millimeter out the box...that makes way more sense than what I had thought! Thank you!

Daniel Johnson

Original Poster
a>
and this image helps solidify the definition!

NowInc

Keep in mind that Full Frame sensors, being physically bigger, will also allow more light which is why they typically perform better. These days, however, you can get insane performance from even mid level crop sensor cameras. The competition is fierce among the companies and they are always trying to top one another to the benefit of us..the consumer. The up-side to crop sensors is actually lens variety (and cost!), as you can use both crop and full frame lenses interchangeably, where as full frame can seldom use crop lenses with decent results.

afb28

I got the 50mm idea from blogs and websites where the guys shot full frame cameras. Up until this thread I had no idea the d3300 was a crop sensor...and haven't had time this week to research exactly what that means... Can you explain it?
Just to reiterate the full frame sensor is generally 35mm where as the canon crop sensor is 22mm (hence 1.6x crop) and nikon crop sensor is 23mm (hence 1.5x crop).

So the 50mm shot on full frame becomes 75mm on Nikon and 80mm on Canon. So while that's great to get extra reach, the smaller sensor means less detail is being captured. This generally means a few things 1) crop cameras have much worse high ISO performance (800 ISO and higher), you also need to multiply your aperture by the crop factor so a f2.8 on full frame becomes f4 on full frame. So you won't get the same bokeh/out of focus look on crop as you do full frame (this is due to being closer to your subject by using a full frame since the lens isn't as zoomed in).

However, with crop you tend to get way less vignetting and much less distortion from wide angles since you are essentially taking the center of the full frame image.

afb28

Having said all of that, don't think that because you have a crop sensor camera that results can't be awesome because they can be. I had a 7D before going full frame.

The main reason to have the crop factor knowledge comes in handy when purchasing lenses. Most companies end up making crop equivalents, so if you are look at ultra wide angles Canon has the 16-35 which is in full frame terms, where as if you had a crop and wanted that same focal length you could get the canon 10-22. So you can generally still find those same focal lengths, just have to remember the crop factor.

sporadic

Just got back from our trip and used my 35/1.4 (Fuji X-T1) probably 90% of the time. Other shots were with my 10-24. I'd used the 18-55 and 10-24 last year and my Tokina 11-16 (mostly) on a 7D on previous trips. Shooting with just the 35 though was a joy. Little tight for some shots however. I'll get some posted this weekend hopefully. I see now why people oodle over the X100's. Leaf shutter and a little wider lens? All win in a very portable package. I need one!

PhotoDave219

Just got back from our trip and used my 35/1.4 (Fuji X-T1) probably 90% of the time. Other shots were with my 10-24. I'd used the 18-55 and 10-24 last year and my Tokina 11-16 (mostly) on a 7D on previous trips. Shooting with just the 35 though was a joy. Little tight for some shots however. I'll get some posted this weekend hopefully. I see now why people oodle over the X100's. Leaf shutter and a little wider lens? All win in a very portable package. I need one!

If you do get an X100 series camera, spend a couple of bucks more and get the T model with the build in WiFi.

Its razor sharp and is almost my everyday camera anymore.

Daniel Johnson

Original Poster
The x100 looks like a decent set up! Is it a dslr? That's the one bit of info I couldn't find.

NowInc

No, its a compact -- but its like no other compact you have ever used. The quality is as good as, if not better than, a DSLR.

ehhhh...thats a bold statement. Its a GREAT camera, with a limited lens range (only 24-70) as well as some odd sharpening and noise reduction that sometimes makes the images look a bit off. Some reviews are also noting a big loss in detail at higher ISO's compared to other point and shoots (at least on the newest model), and simply seems to fall apart completely at ISO 3200 and higher which most DSLRs these days handle with no problems. Don't get me wrong..its great....for a point and shoot and WELL worth the money, but DSLRs are still going to be better for performance at the further ends of the spectrum.

KeithVH

Based on what? Smarmy answer is the best one is the one you have with you at the time. Some will say there is an arbitrary ceiling but there's way too many variables, I think, to say one does everything better than any other. Years ago, the Canon G series was great but they're not waterproof and require very expensive housings to take underwater. Did that disqualify them from being the best? We won't even get into size defining just what a P&S is.

Nowadays, in general, the RX100. For something to fit in your shirt pocket, Canon S120. There are several in between, too.

Even a couple of years ago, this was an easy answer. With all the latest developments, I think there are a lot of par cameras from several companies that fit the bill.

habuma

On an asp-c/dx, you'd probably want more of a 35mm so that acts like a 52mm.

I picked up a 35mm for this very reason (my 50mm was way too tight). Used it on my recent trip to Disneyland and it was *much* better than the 50mm, especially on the dark rides. But even then it still seemed a little too tight. I had a hard time capturing wider shots, such as *all* of the singing busts on HM. I could get 3-4 of them perfectly...but all 5 was tricky and required perfect timing as the doom buggy turned toward them otherwise I was too close.

afb28

I picked up a 35mm for this very reason (my 50mm was way too tight). Used it on my recent trip to Disneyland and it was *much* better than the 50mm, especially on the dark rides. But even then it still seemed a little too tight. I had a hard time capturing wider shots, such as *all* of the singing busts on HM. I could get 3-4 of them perfectly...but all 5 was tricky and required perfect timing as the doom buggy turned toward them otherwise I was too close.
Not sure of your budget or how serious you want it to be but the sigma 18-35 1.8 is pretty unmatched for crop bodies. It was going to be my next lens before I decided to go full frame.

But in essence it covers 27mm-52 on nikon or 30-56 on canon so that's wide enough for dark rides as you would most likely want a 35mm full frame equivalent for the busts and this will be a bit wider than that. And the fact that it is f1.8 allows for an easier chance on dark rides.

sporadic

I experienced the exact same thing on with my 35mm on HM at MK :(

habuma

Not sure of your budget or how serious you want it to be but the sigma 18-35 1.8 is pretty unmatched for crop bodies.

Yeah, I've had my eye on that and for what it does the price is nice. Budget-wise, I wouldn't mind spending that much on a lens, but I also have other non-photography items in my budget that force me to hold off on that a bit longer. :(

afb28

Yeah, I've had my eye on that and for what it does the price is nice. Budget-wise, I wouldn't mind spending that much on a lens, but I also have other non-photography items in my budget that force me to hold off on that a bit longer. :(
Yeah that's understandable. Going down the photography rabbit hole becomes quite expensive quite quickly. But remember if you do get it, you can also try to sell the 35mm you currently have so that could go toward it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom