what's the best and safest way to use and access your cash?

Anotherfaceinthecrowd

Last October we took travellers checks and to my surprise quite a few CM'S gave me a lot of blank looks and had to call for supervisers over in the end I was telling some of the CM'S which buttons to press on the tills

enough

travelers checks are going the way of the dinosaur. Just get yourself a good travel credit card and be good about paying it off each month.

Fantasmic

I take cash, I budget it each day.... $100 a day, each day in an envelope. The envelopes live in the safe in the Room, each day the daily money goes in my purse, usually I'm not carrying round extortionate amounts of cash, and I certainly wouldn't put my entire vaction cash in my purse and carry it round the parks.

dreamfinder

If you are good with paying your bills on time, then start a credit card. If you aren't, then look into Disney gift cards. With a credit card if you promptly report fraud you are only liable for the first $50 in charges (depending on the rules of the issuing institution). With a Disney gift card if you hold onto the receipts (put a photo copy in your luggage) they will transfer the funds to a new card.
What should I do if my Disney Gift Card is lost or stolen? Promptly call 1-877-650-4327 to report the card lost or stolen. Your Disney Gift Card will be 'frozen' and funds remaining on the card (at the time of the call) can be transferred onto a new card. An original proof of purchase receipt for the Disney Gift Card is required to transfer the funds onto a new Disney Gift Card.
Then use room charge if applicable and settle up with the gift cards/credit card at the hotel. Carry a small amount of cash for emergencies ($20-50).

But as a good rule of thumb, check out the location you are using your card (debit or credit). If the swipe terminal looks funky, don't use it. Always try to shield the pin pad when being used.

HollyAD

If you choose to stay with using the debit card, communicate with your bank and let them know you are traveling. That way they won't freeze your account if they think a Florida purchase is fraudulent. I would suggest a credit card, like many other that posted before me. I also carry a little cash on me for tipping/ small purchases. Travelers checks can be a pain, I remember this from my childhood. Once you establish a credit card, it is also a good idea to let them know what dates you plan to travel.

JohnD

I use a credit card. Mine is tied to my bank account. Easy to log in and transfer money from a separate account to the Visa to pay off the balance.

dreamfinder

Can you link a credit card or debit card to your magic bands? What are the associated risks?

If you are staying on property, yes. When you check in you can have them turn on the room charge feature. This is then tied to whatever Magic Bands are associated with your MDE account. The risks behind this should be less. You setup the PIN, and as long as you don't pass the MB all over the place shouting out your PIN, people need both the band and PIN to do any larger charges. You only actually hand a CM your card once, when you check in, and they don't need to go anywhere out of sight, reducing the chances of a rogue CM using a skimmer. As you more than likely already used a credit/debit card to put down the room deposit, they already had the number in their systems at least once, so if the backend was compromised, they already have your info.

PigletIsMyCat

i find it hard to believe a rogue CM would use a skimmer; it would be so easy to trace back to the CM.

if you link a debit card to your magic band, they will probably put a hold on a chunk of your money (i feel like $500 sounds familiar?) and it might tie up your money and it's a PITA. some banks work quicker than others, but a hold may not drop off for 3-5 business days with some banks. i think a credit card is a safer option, especially if you can pay it off in a timely manner. many people have a travel credit card - one they only use for vacation purposes; they still save up the money for vacay and then pay off the credit card once they're home.

i agree with the idea of setting a PIN for larger purchases with your magic band. i've never used a magic band before, but i've always linked a CC to my key to the world card and have never had a concern. dh and i have been the victims of identity theft/credit card fraud four times since 2004; the last instance was 2009ish and we seem to have nipped it in the bud.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I am new to the Annual Pass. Can I associate a CC to my bands if I am a current Annual Pass Holder?

Watch for changes for this while you are an annual pass holder but in more of a prepaid load. It has been said they are working on a system to pre-load the band with $$$ through an outsourced vendor, similar to the transit cards in Chicago.

dreamfinder

i find it hard to believe a rogue CM would use a skimmer; it would be so easy to trace back to the CM.

Still happens fairly often in the real world. It's really easy for waitstaff to stash a small skimmer at their podium. Grab only a few every now and then, don't get greedy by running every card you are handed, and then hold onto them for a while before they get used and it wouldn't show up as more than a blip. Think of how many people have been affected by major breeches recently at Target, TJX, large grocery chains, and now even UPS stores. Odds are, a dozen or two cards skimmed at any location would have also been used at some place like Target. Tracing a few dozen cards back to a single CM months after would be hard to prove. Small scale, it's easy to hover under the radar for a while. (Most of this comment is based off of recent information posted by people like Krebs on how small scale operations go undetected for ages)

HatboxGhost

JUST applied for a Visa Disney card and was approved!!!!!!!!!! First CC in 25 years due to a student loan I had a hard time paying off which ruined my credit. Anyone with bad credit who now has good credit knows exactly how I feel. :D Cant wait to try it out on vacation. :D

P.S. Have to thank member Enough for putting up the link.

enough

JUST applied for a Visa Disney card and was approved!!!!!!!!!! First CC in 25 years due to a student loan I had a hard time paying off which ruined my credit. Anyone with bad credit who now has good credit knows exactly how I feel. :D Cant wait to try it out on vacation. :D

P.S. Have to thank member Enough for putting up the link.

so tell us... what did you choose for your front-of-card design?

dreamfinder

You can load money on to your Magic Band so you don't have to worry about cash or cards at all.

Just to clarify, as of now they don't allow you to actually load money onto you Magic Band, but rather if you are staying on property you can link it to your room charge. It is often speculated they will give non resort guests the same ability at some point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom