What would a disney buyout mean for Disney parks?

Chef Mickey

Lmao, ESPN isn't a money drain. That's the most overhyped story in the business press from people looking for clicks. ESPN is still hugely profitable, they're just not growing like the analysts want.

Also, can we stop with these threads? It's all nonsense. It's ten times more likely that Disney makes a major acquisition in the next ten years than Disney getting acquired themselves.
Right, people are reading headlines instead of really knowing the story. ESPN is an absolute cash machine. There is a subscriber loss component, but data shows those subscribers are not engaged in that they weren't actually watching ESPN anyway. It's an impact, but the people watching sports on ESPN are as rabid as ever.

Furthermore, this is being more than offset by the growth in Parks and absolute gangbusters box office numbers.

I am acquiring more DIS shares. They are still the king of content and best in the biz, period.

Chef Mickey

Spoiler alert: Verizon isn't buying Disney. They CAN'T. Verizon is not only loaded with debt, they have no cash and are essentially the same size company as DIS who actually has a better balance sheet.

As I said in another thread, the only scenario that might happen is Apple buying DIS because they actually have the scratch for it and are about 5 times the size of Disney.

vershine

The deal was a more than a rumor. The Wall Street Journal and Bloomberg reported it last week. I am happy to hear as of 15 minutes ago, the deal fell through. "Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam didn’t mince words when asked if the telecom giant will buy Disney. “No,” was his blunt response when peppered with questions on Tuesday at Allen & Co.’s annual media and technology summit in Sun Valley, Idaho."

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
The deal was a more than a rumor. The Wall Street Journal and Bloomberg reported it last week. I am happy to hear as of 15 minutes ago, the deal fell through. "Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam didn’t mince words when asked if the telecom giant will buy Disney. “No,” was his blunt response when peppered with questions on Tuesday at Allen & Co.’s annual media and technology summit in Sun Valley, Idaho."
Maybe it wouldn't be as bad as everybody supposes...
Imagine Mickey in the parade, wearing a Verizon technician's shirt, asking the crowd, "Can you hear me now?"

CaptainAmerica

They didn't "report" anything. They "reported" on a rumor. That's still a rumor. Publications like the Wall Street Journal are just as prone to click-bait journalism as Buzzfeed.

thomas998

Spoiler alert: Verizon isn't buying Disney. They CAN'T. Verizon is not only loaded with debt, they have no cash and are essentially the same size company as DIS who actually has a better balance sheet.

As I said in another thread, the only scenario that might happen is Apple buying DIS because they actually have the scratch for it and are about 5 times the size of Disney.
Actually the size of the company and its balance sheet doesn't preclude Verizon from buying Disney. You can find lots of situations where the minnow swallows the whale when it comes to M&As. So just because Disney is the same size as Verizon doesn't mean it can't be done. The biggest company isn't always safe as long as the company buying has a story that the investment bankers believe in and are willing to back. The only reason I see no threat from Verizon is that I can't see any reason for the merger. Doesn't give Verizon anything that makes their existing company better. Now with Apple you can see things that would make it better, such as getting all the content that could be useful for Apple if they were to expand iTunes more into video to compete against Netflix. Though I would expect the more likely buyer for Disney would be the Chinese that seem to have a hunger for Hollywood.

Smiley/OCD

Actually the size of the company and its balance sheet doesn't preclude Verizon from buying Disney. You can find lots of situations where the minnow swallows the whale when it comes to M&As. So just because Disney is the same size as Verizon doesn't mean it can't be done. The biggest company isn't always safe as long as the company buying has a story that the investment bankers believe in and are willing to back. The only reason I see no threat from Verizon is that I can't see any reason for the merger. Doesn't give Verizon anything that makes their existing company better. Now with Apple you can see things that would make it better, such as getting all the content that could be useful for Apple if they were to expand iTunes more into video to compete against Netflix. Though I would expect the more likely buyer for Disney would be the Chinese that seem to have a hunger for Hollywood.
Yeah, look how K-Mart buying Sears is working out...

Chef Mickey

So because Bloomberg and WSJ reported some fabricated impossibility, it had some credence? There was no "deal" so nothing "fell through." The math simply doesn't work. It'd be more likely DIS buys Verizon. Verizon simply can't afford Disney.

Phonedave

Actually Verizon wants content, content, and more content. It's all the other "Stuff" that Disney has that Verizon does not need.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom