What would a disney buyout mean for Disney parks?

Geppetto

Original Poster
What would happen to Disney and the parks if the Disney company was sold to Apple or the newly rumored Verizon? Would the parks be at risk of closing and what changes would be made? I'm just curious to what a disney buyout would mean for the parks and company. Thanks.

goofyyukyuk

Glad I don't have to worry about that... seriously though, I don't see what Apple or Verizon stands to gain from buying Disney. They're not in the theme park or entertainment industry really, and they don't need to be. Besides, I don't think Disney would sell out

FettFan

Seriously? Verizon buying Disney? DISNEY?
images%2Farticle%2F2014%2F05%2F27%2Fcool-runnings.jpg

BigRedDad

If Disney sold the parks, Disney would be over. It is as simple as that. The family would never allow it to happen. Disney is in no way hurting for money, in need of selling or anything else. They could shave off the money drains like ESPN.

Retroman40

I would suspect the situation would be similar to what happened when InBev bought Anheuser Busch. The parks and resorts division would be spun off.

CaptainAmerica

If Disney sold the parks, Disney would be over. It is as simple as that. The family would never allow it to happen. Disney is in no way hurting for money, in need of selling or anything else. They could shave off the money drains like ESPN.
Lmao, ESPN isn't a money drain. That's the most overhyped story in the business press from people looking for clicks. ESPN is still hugely profitable, they're just not growing like the analysts want.

Also, can we stop with these threads? It's all nonsense. It's ten times more likely that Disney makes a major acquisition in the next ten years than Disney getting acquired themselves.

Otterhead

Also, can we stop with these threads? It's all nonsense. It's ten times more likely that Disney makes a major acquisition in the next ten years than Disney getting acquired themselves.
This exactly. With their heavy investment into a wifi-driven guest experience in the parks, NextGen, etc, it's far more likely that Disney will acquire Verizon or Sprint or another tech company than be acquired themselves.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Why would Apple or Verizon close the parks if they bought Disney? Especially considering WDW is one of the biggest tourist spots in the world?
Not a core line of business. ABC/Disney is entertainment, so the parks remains on the edge of their core LoB. But neither Apple nor Verizon consider entertainment to be a core mission.

(And if anyone ever figures out what Verizon's core mission is, would you please call the company and let them know? Thanks...)

yedliW

Disney is so much more than just the parks.. they are first and foremost, a content provider.. which other companies have been buying up left and right.. (VZ bought Yahoo!.. AT&T bought DirecTV and Comcast..(which owns Universal).,

Phonedave

Glad I don't have to worry about that... seriously though, I don't see what Apple or Verizon stands to gain from buying Disney. They're not in the theme park or entertainment industry really, and they don't need to be. Besides, I don't think Disney would sell out

One word - content. Verizon is hungry for media content.

\

Lora Baines Bradley

First of all, I would like to admit that I know very little about buyouts.

If Verizon/Apple bought Disney, I see one of two things happening:
1) The quality would decrease. It has been said earlier in this thread that Verizon/Apple know nothing about theme parks. My knowledge of economics is limited, but I know you can't run a theme park like a tech business. However, unless the parks became extremely unprofitable, they would be shooting themselves in the foot to close them. The parks are the crown jewel of the Disney brand. Even if they did nothing but maintain the parks, they still would bring in money. While the event of a Disney buyout is nearly impossible, even if it did happen, the parks would not close.
2) Quality would increase. If Apple/Verizon were smart, they would realize they know nothing about the parks and bring in people who do. Hopefully, they would bring in people who actually care about the parks rather than bottom line. I would think the parent company would let the parks do whatever, as long as money kept pouring in.
This all being said, the event of a buyout is highly unlikely. Like others before me have stated, it would be more likely that Disney would buy Verizon or Apple.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom