What Words of Wisdom Would You Give Disney "First Timers"?

MIKETFROMRI

Original Poster
I know there are tons of us 'Disney Lifers" out here, but there ARE Disney First Timers. Couples, families,groups etc. What words of wisdom would you give to these people so that they will not fall into some of the traps you might have on your first visit that might have made yours a bit testy.

For us it was in 1985..our honeymoon...first time for both. Now back then there were only 2 parks and 2 resorts...Still, the trap we fell into unknowingly was just how much walking there is and how exhausted you get with all the walking, especially in the heat. Id say to newbies ( especially now that the park has like tripled in size with parks/resorts/water parks etc) EXPECT to do a LOT of walking. If you are going to be there only a few days know up front that you WILL get reallllyyy tired. The more days the better so you can take your time ( if thats possible)..we lwarned our lesson quicky that first trip

Jenna

Take it all in. Whilst the attractions, shows, parades and fireworks are all brilliant there is more to Disney World. Sit down, have an ice cream, watch the world go by. Admire the little details. Eat a Mickey Premium bar!

In saying that be sure to utilise fast pass, allowing you to do as much as possible without wasting time queuing.

If you're tired, take an evening or day off. You'll enjoy your holiday so much more if you're not completely worn down.

JIMINYCR

Find someone who is an experienced Disney traveller and listen to their advice.
Prepare and plan so you know before you go. Theres lots of guides to help you know what to expect.
Have fun, explore, don't rush the parks.
Budget, don't go overboard.
Try the different attractions, rides, events. Sample a variety of snacks, meals, desserts.
Plan to return again.

Kramerica

I try and give advice all the time. But in my experience, most people have already made up their minds as to what they're gonna do. Like "Oh, we're gonna do it all". Or "I don't wanna go to Epcot. I don't need to be educated" People usually already have their preconceived notions. But If I do try to give them advice it's pretty much what everyone else is saying. Take your time. Prepare to do a lot of walking. Don't expect to see it all.

NeedMoreMickey

If you are going with a group don't think everyone has to be together all the time. Some people are not interested in certain rides or shows, make arrangements to meet after the ride/show and split up. Of course I don't mean small kids but it's ok if teenagers have a little freedom in the parks and the group can meet up later.
Also if it's your first time take a lot of pictures and don't be afraid to ask another guest to take your entire group. I offer to take pictures all the time this way everyone is in the group.

luv

1. Disney vacations suck a lot out of you...and not just financially. Running around a theme park all day long will suck every bit of strength you have.

2. Everything takes longer than you think it will. Bathroom stops, lines for rides, eating, shopping, transportation. Transportation in car or bus, but especially with the bus. Just getting onto the bus at closing can easily take over an hour.

3. Your kids need MORE sleep - not less! - on a Disney vacation. Don't push them too hard. If the kids say they want to leave, LEAVE!

4. Swimming makes you MORE tired at the end of the day. It's not a nap substitute. (But it is fun.)

5. You will probably end up spending more (usually a lot more) than you think you will.

6. Florida is very hot and wildly humid in the summer. It also rains at least a little most every day. Be prepared. :)

7. Go to Uni and Sea World if you can possibly do it.

Graham9

Take more money than you think you need.
Don't think about going back to your room to sleep - go there to crash out ready for the next day.
Get good walking shoes.
Don't try to see it all - accept that you won't.
Don't think of coming here for a rest - that isn't going to happen
Don't worry about junk food, you will walk off anything you eat

Goofyernmost

My first trip was in 1983, February, EPCOT Ctr. was about 5 months old at the time. I knew next to nothing about WDW except that even back then it was very big. One of the pieces of advice that I thought was great before I went there was when they would give me a list of "must see's". It made sense at the time. After I got there, I found that I was criss crossing the parks constantly. I spent more time and energy just walking back and forth then any other reason. It took me about a half a day to decide to throw that plan out the window and just start going to attractions one at a time. (remember this was before Fastpass. Fastpass throws a whole different level of planning in there). Without having first hand knowledge of where thing are in the parks that can also cause a lot of back and forth, but not as bad as just zeroing in on certain attractions recommended by others.

The main problem with that is that we all have different tastes in what we might enjoy and what we probably won't. Go on line and read the descriptions of each attraction and use that as a guideline. As everyone has said, you will probably not be able to see everything in one trip, but, at some point or the other you should experience every one. There is no telling which ones might catch your fancy. Don't under any circumstances pass any by because some friend of yours didn't like it. I found that some of the simplest concepts and least suggested were the one's I like the best. Hall of the Presidents was one that everyone I knew said...don't go to that, it's boring and all you will do is fall asleep. Falling asleep wasn't all that bad a thought after wandering around the park all day, so I tried it and it quickly became one of my favorites. Didn't fall asleep at all.

Currently, WDW has added a whole bunch of new FP attractions to the parks. These were/are attractions that have been there all along and have not needed FP. I won't go into the thought process behind adding them in, but, lets just say that you don't really need a FP for them. When you are ready to go come on line and ask what things are wise to get a FP for from the veterans here. They can give you a good idea which ones to concentrate on.

Florida_is_hot

I try to avoid telling people how to enjoy there first trip.

1) The fun is in discovering
2) What gives me the right; I do not care if I visited 100 times. People have different tastes, priorities.

mickeymatt

I agree with most on here. I tell people not to make this a "once-in-a-lifetime" trip. That alone puts way to much pressure on the trip. Go. Enjoy. If you don't see everything, go back home and save up and go again.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Get ready to walk.
Plans ahead of time for somethings, like dining, but be ready to change your plans.
If you need a nap or a swim do it, the parks will still be there.
Enjoy the details and take time to relax.

Maelstrom Troll

I tell people to enjoy the beautiful detailing that is all around them and take time to absorb as much as possible. Use the fast pass system as well as you can. Train for your trip an bring two pairs of shoes you will feel better and avoid blisters. Eat and drink well while in the parks, don't just eat hot dogs, burgers, chicken strips, and fries. Try something new. Take pics but get in as many as possible. Don't let rude people upset you, they outnumber considerate people at the parks, trust me!

WLBound

I think my first tip is to make sure you're drinking a lot of water. It's so easy to dehydrate in the Florida heat and humidity and soda will not change this. You need water. If you don't like to drink straight water take mix-ins so that you can still get rehydrated. You went all the way to Disney. You don't need to make an unscheduled trip to First Aid or the ER.

Plan well but don't plan to do it all. Even the veterans have a hard time getting everything in on one trip. You'll be back again. Trust us.

Budget for the small things too.

Most of all, relax and have fun!

Spikerdink

For couples -
  • Do something that your significant other wants to do but you might not and just do it for the fun of it.
  • Hold hands
  • Find the child within and let him or her run free
  • Take a pic with your favorite character from childhood
  • Share an ice cream or a dole whip
For families -
  • Depending on the age of your children, don't push them past their limits if they are younger than 12. Keep the kids as close to their regular sleep/nap schedule as possible. I have seen too many meltdowns by over tired kids being pushed by frantic parents to do more than they are capable of and the result is not so magical.
  • If your kids are older, give them some freedom to explore on their own for a bit, but make sure you do some family things too
  • Tell your kids they have a set amount for souvenirs - convert it to Disney dollars if possible - and make sure they know once it is gone, there is no more $
  • Do the rope drop at MK
  • Remember that these are days your kids will always remember - make them special. Don't fret the little things - enjoy the moment
For First timers -
  • Buy an up to date book about WDW and read it well before your trip and start making notes of what you definitely want to do and might want to put off....
  • Don't program your vacation down to the minute....let it happen and don't get upset that you aren't 'seeing it all' [I have been many, many times and never get everything done, so don't think you can!]
  • Make ADRs - and remember to write down your reservation number. [I once saw a family fight at Liberty Tree because the mom thought she had reservations but the restaurant didn't have the number...dad flipped, mom cried, kids were concerned.... not a happy scene]
  • Relax. Stroll. Look at the details. Listen to the music playing in the background.
  • Find a place to see the fireworks early.
  • Go see the nighttime water pageant from the Poly or Wilderness shoreline.
  • Take pics! Use photopass!
  • Buy something that will remind you of the great trip you have had....
  • Plan on coming back and seeing what you missed this time around

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom