What will happen when our contracts expire?

Disneykidder

Original Poster
When our contracts expire, will Disney extend it? How much do you think it will be? If anyone has OKW and got the extension already, did you have to pay?

MikeyK72

Didn't Disney offer OKW owners the ability to purchase an extension several years pior to the expiration date? I'm pretty sure that they did but I'm a SSR owner so don't know for sure.

Disneykidder

Original Poster
Didn't Disney offer OKW owners the ability to purchase an extension several years pior to the expiration date? I'm pretty sure that they did but I'm a SSR owner so don't know for sure.
I believe they did which is why I am curious as to whether or not they had to pay an extra fee.

MikeyK72

I agree with BigTxEars, higly unlikely that we'll get a free extension...there's money to be made from selling extentions and even more money to be made by reclaiming the contracts and reselling at 2054 (or so) prices.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
In 2007 DVC offered a 15 year extension for OKW owners from 2042 to 2057. I believe it was priced at $25 per point but they offered a $10 per point discount if you extended right away getting the total down to $15 per point. There was no change to dues and for the owners who declined, the points would just go back to DVC in 2042. From what I read the sales were not as good as expected. Not as many people elected to extend their contract as hoped. It was a one time offer and hasn't been offered at any other resort since.

When the contracts expire the points go back to DVC and then it will be up to Disney whether they resell the points or convert rooms back to hotels. I think a lot will depend on demand and the market at the time. The first contracts don't expire until 2042 so we are still 28 years away. IMHO they will start offering extensions to existing owners but probably not until closer to 10 years before expiry.

From an economic standpoint $15 per point for 15 extra years is a pretty good deal. That's $1 per point per year. The current direct from Disney price for Old Key west is $130 per point and the contract ends in 2057 so 43 years or just over $3 per point per year to buy. The extension was a huge discount to the current purchase price.

Disneykidder

Original Poster
In 2064 I will be 89 years old but plan to gift my contracts to my children so I think $15pp is a pretty good deal...I hope that's what it will be.

Goofnut1980

I would think in 48 years they would be turning our resorts into hotels for cash crop and building new DVC's because we pay off the building for them so easily.

JohnWD

I did extend my OKW points - seemed like a no brainer since I have 4 kids! I'm hoping DVC will do the same offer for the BWV where I have my other points.

slappy magoo

When the contracts expire the points go back to DVC and then it will be up to Disney whether they resell the points or convert rooms back to hotels. I think a lot will depend on demand and the market at the time. The first contracts don't expire until 2042 so we are still 28 years away. IMHO they will start offering extensions to existing owners but probably not until closer to 10 years before expiry.

My guess is re-selling as DVC properties after extensive...EXTENSIVE refurbs. Between innovations in technology, shifts in consumer tastes and some properties just aging poorly, some resorts will undergo some radical changes.

That's what I think. What I know is that I probably won't be around to gloat if proven right or sulk if proven wrong. Or I'll long be past an age where I'll care. So if I'm right, visit my grave and leave your mouse ears as tribute.

Phonedave

I really think the expiration is a benefit over other timeshares.

Let's say the contracts don't expire. It is 2054 and now you own a timeshare in a old, very outdated, worn out resort. Aer you going to be able to sell that contract? Most likely no, but you are still on the hook for the dues. There are lots of other time shares out there like this, where people are giving them away, just to get rid of owing dues.

With a contract expiration date, when DVC knows that everyone will be out of that property, they can plan ahead. As Slappy said, they can plan a refurb, or even just demo the place and start fresh, and then sell points at that NEW resort.

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom